• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Beer

O

Oberon

You're familiar with the three-letter beer designation IPA, right? It stands for India Pale Ale. Well, a friend of mine and I have coined a term for a uniquely American style of beer... APW.

It stands for American Piss Water, and thank Heaven it is a style that appears to be on the wane in the US. In the APW class you can find all the classic US "premium" lagers such as the archetypal Budweiser, Coors, Miller, Stroh's, Pabst, and so on... essentially anything marketed by Anheuser Busch, Miller Brewing, the Molson Coors Company, or any of their subsidiaries, to include "lite" beers, "ice" beers, malt liquors, and so on.

Thankfully, in the last decade Americans have rediscovered the kind of local brewing that was the rule rather than the exception back before Prohibition did away with all but the very largest of the regional brewers. The resurgence of local brewing gave rise to the brewpub (a pub where the beer is brewed on the premises and served in draft form) and the microbrew (a beer that is brewed and marketed on a very small scale).

The increasing popularity of microbrews has allowed certain local breweries to expand to the point where they can compete for national market share; an early example of this was the Samuel Adams company, whose Boston Lager still stands head and shoulders above its "premium" beer competition. Other breweries whose products are worthy of recognition are Sierra Nevada, Victory Brewing, Dogfish Head, and the Brooklyn Brewing Company.

At present the US brewing renaissance is well under way, with websites such as BeerAdvocate.com and ratebeer.com acting as clearing houses for information on new breweries and new products. It is arguable that the United States has one of the most exciting brewing scenes in the world, and is producing beers that rate the full equal of anything out of the time-hallowed breweries of Europe.

My personal favorite? Storm King Imperial Stout, by Victory. This is the kind of beer that one is enough, and it takes all evening to finish. There's more flavor in one Victory Storm King than in an entire six-pack of some lesser beers... and that's a good thing.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
As I recall before prohibition there were 5,000 breweries throughout the US...afterwards only 5!....some survived by making soft drinks....I have an ancient Pabst Cola can out on my deck....

Last edited:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
People are brewing beer in their backyards, you know, preparing for the approaching social collapse and all.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've homebrewed, every bit as good as any microbrew I've had anywhere. I try to drink local, if you ever come through Nebraska buy Empyrean Ales. Most of their brews agree with me, especially their Collapsar Oatmeal Stout that you can only buy on draft at their affiliated brewpubs. Otherwise, I don't have quite enough cash to try everything that sounds interesting. Alchohol is an expensive pasttime.

Beorn

Permabanned
Beer could potentially save civilization, you know! :D

:solidarity:

I really want to do some home brewing, but I really need a place with a basement so I can set up a kegerator.

Until then I'll enjoy the local brew-pub and drink dogfish head, star hill, and ommegang while at home.

I wish we could get New Belgium Brewery products in VA. :(

Oberon if you haven't had Fat tire or any other beer made by new belgium you should try it out. I hear that they have expanded distribution to NC.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:solidarity:

I really want to do some home brewing, but I really need a place with a basement so I can set up a kegerator.

Until then I'll enjoy the local brew-pub and drink dogfish head, star hill, and ommegang while at home.

I wish we could get New Belgium Brewery products in VA. :(

Oberon if you haven't had Fat tire or any other beer made by new belgium you should try it out. I hear that they have expanded distribution to NC.

I bought a six pack of New Belgium's winter seasonal last year, '40 Below'. It really hit the spot. I'll have to get some Fat Tire sometime. I often see the red New Belgium delivery truck running around town.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
tumblr_l686livpOl1qb5sxlo1_400.jpg

MBTI Type
INTJ
I love that American beer is back. Some of my favorites:

Red Hook ESB (Seattle)
Stone Ruination IPA (San Diego)
Lagunitas IPA (Petaluma, CA)
Watermelon Ale (Boston Beer Works)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I love New Belgium's brews (Colorado)
Anchor Steam (San Francisco)

Then the couple of beers I had from local breweries here in Seattle were off the chain. Once I have an income, I can become more of a connoisseur for the local brews.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You're familiar with the three-letter beer designation IPA, right? It stands for India Pale Ale. Well, a friend of mine and I have coined a term for a uniquely American style of beer... APW.

It stands for American Piss Water, and thank Heaven it is a style that appears to be on the wane in the US. In the APW class you can find all the classic US "premium" lagers such as the archetypal Budweiser, Coors, Miller, Stroh's, Pabst, and so on... essentially anything marketed by Anheuser Busch, Miller Brewing, the Molson Coors Company, or any of their subsidiaries, to include "lite" beers, "ice" beers, malt liquors, and so on.

Thankfully, in the last decade Americans have rediscovered the kind of local brewing that was the rule rather than the exception back before Prohibition did away with all but the very largest of the regional brewers. The resurgence of local brewing gave rise to the brewpub (a pub where the beer is brewed on the premises and served in draft form) and the microbrew (a beer that is brewed and marketed on a very small scale).

The increasing popularity of microbrews has allowed certain local breweries to expand to the point where they can compete for national market share; an early example of this was the Samuel Adams company, whose Boston Lager still stands head and shoulders above its "premium" beer competition. Other breweries whose products are worthy of recognition are Sierra Nevada, Victory Brewing, Dogfish Head, and the Brooklyn Brewing Company.

At present the US brewing renaissance is well under way, with websites such as BeerAdvocate.com and ratebeer.com acting as clearing houses for information on new breweries and new products. It is arguable that the United States has one of the most exciting brewing scenes in the world, and is producing beers that rate the full equal of anything out of the time-hallowed breweries of Europe.

My personal favorite? Storm King Imperial Stout, by Victory. This is the kind of beer that one is enough, and it takes all evening to finish. There's more flavor in one Victory Storm King than in an entire six-pack of some lesser beers... and that's a good thing.

I can find very little here to disagree with. :thumbup:

Some of my favorites: Arrogant Bastard Ale (Stone Brewing Co.), Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. I'll have to try that Storm King stuff to see how it compares to Old Rasputin.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I was JUST gonna say how I want to try Arrogant Bastard Ale, and then you mentioned it.

arrogant_beer_ale_11.jpg

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was JUST gonna say how I want to try Arrogant Bastard Ale, and then you mentioned it.

arrogant_beer_ale_11.jpg

Dude, you must try it. It may be my favorite beer of all time. Strong, but not distractingly so, tastes great, will get you drunker'n shit, and comes in those huge awesome bottles.

O

Oberon

I can find very little here to disagree with. :thumbup:

Some of my favorites: Arrogant Bastard Ale (Stone Brewing Co.), Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. I'll have to try that Storm King stuff to see how it compares to Old Rasputin.

I tell you what, I have tried the Old Rasputin, and I like it a lot; I'm a big fan of Russian Imperial Stouts as a style. Still, as good as Ol' Raspy is, I like Victory Storm King better.

Victory%20-%20Storm%20King%20Stout.jpg

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I tell you what, I have tried the Old Rasputin, and I like it a lot; I'm a big fan of Russian Imperial Stouts as a style. Still, as good as Ol' Raspy is, I like Victory Storm King better.

Victory%20-%20Storm%20King%20Stout.jpg

Damn that looks appetizing. I wonder if I can find it around here...

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Anchor makes a brilliant Porter that even european breweries cant beat if you ask me. Especially on draft.

Anchor Steam Beer is brilliant aswell. If you look really close you can maybe find one or two breweries from USA (besides Budweiser and Miller's) in the bigger supermarkets here on a regular basis. If you go to beer importers you can find many more, something I dont do as much anymore. Mostly because of the price and here in Denmark we have a good amount of brilliant local breweries.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Anchor Steam is another favorite of mine, too.

Finding high-quality beer is nothing short of a quest here in Tennessee. State law prohibits the sale of beer above 6% ABV without a liquor license, and most liquor stores carry only wine and spirits. It can get annoying. :doh:

Beorn

Permabanned
This reminds of an article I read this summer.

Beer. It’s What’s For Dinner. | Front Porch Republic

My fellow localists, lend me your beers. Would you have an active and informed citizenry that knows where it is and cares about its place? Would you have young men and women devoted to something rather than everything (which is to say nothing)? Would you meet on that beautiful shore—your own local brewery—in the sweet by and by?

Then see to it that good local beer gets brewed. Love baseball too and poetry and pottery and local music and a blues festival during the dog days of summer. But make or be a part of something worth caring about and defending. Do you live in a noplace? Get the hell out of there and settle in a someplace. Drink beer and belong.

Oh man I forgot to mention Bourbon Barrel Stout!

jefferson_reserve_bourbon_stout1.jpg

O

Oberon

Then there's Weyerbacher Insanity Ale... it's aged in bourbon barrels too, and has a pretty pronounced bourbon flavor. It's also over 11% ABV.

607914981_LDAF2-XL.jpg