User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: American Beer

Oberon

Thumbs up American Beer

You're familiar with the three-letter beer designation IPA, right? It stands for India Pale Ale. Well, a friend of mine and I have coined a term for a uniquely American style of beer... APW.

It stands for American Piss Water, and thank Heaven it is a style that appears to be on the wane in the US. In the APW class you can find all the classic US "premium" lagers such as the archetypal Budweiser, Coors, Miller, Stroh's, Pabst, and so on... essentially anything marketed by Anheuser Busch, Miller Brewing, the Molson Coors Company, or any of their subsidiaries, to include "lite" beers, "ice" beers, malt liquors, and so on.

Thankfully, in the last decade Americans have rediscovered the kind of local brewing that was the rule rather than the exception back before Prohibition did away with all but the very largest of the regional brewers. The resurgence of local brewing gave rise to the brewpub (a pub where the beer is brewed on the premises and served in draft form) and the microbrew (a beer that is brewed and marketed on a very small scale).

The increasing popularity of microbrews has allowed certain local breweries to expand to the point where they can compete for national market share; an early example of this was the Samuel Adams company, whose Boston Lager still stands head and shoulders above its "premium" beer competition. Other breweries whose products are worthy of recognition are Sierra Nevada, Victory Brewing, Dogfish Head, and the Brooklyn Brewing Company.

At present the US brewing renaissance is well under way, with websites such as BeerAdvocate.com and ratebeer.com acting as clearing houses for information on new breweries and new products. It is arguable that the United States has one of the most exciting brewing scenes in the world, and is producing beers that rate the full equal of anything out of the time-hallowed breweries of Europe.

My personal favorite? Storm King Imperial Stout, by Victory. This is the kind of beer that one is enough, and it takes all evening to finish. There's more flavor in one Victory Storm King than in an entire six-pack of some lesser beers... and that's a good thing.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

As I recall before prohibition there were 5,000 breweries throughout the US...afterwards only 5!....some survived by making soft drinks....I have an ancient Pabst Cola can out on my deck....
    Last edited by Hirsch63; 09-26-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    ENFJ

People are brewing beer in their backyards, you know, preparing for the approaching social collapse and all.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Oberon

Beer could potentially save civilization, you know!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've homebrewed, every bit as good as any microbrew I've had anywhere. I try to drink local, if you ever come through Nebraska buy Empyrean Ales. Most of their brews agree with me, especially their Collapsar Oatmeal Stout that you can only buy on draft at their affiliated brewpubs. Otherwise, I don't have quite enough cash to try everything that sounds interesting. Alchohol is an expensive pasttime.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Beer could potentially save civilization, you know!

I really want to do some home brewing, but I really need a place with a basement so I can set up a kegerator.

Until then I'll enjoy the local brew-pub and drink dogfish head, star hill, and ommegang while at home.

I wish we could get New Belgium Brewery products in VA.

Oberon if you haven't had Fat tire or any other beer made by new belgium you should try it out. I hear that they have expanded distribution to NC.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post

I really want to do some home brewing, but I really need a place with a basement so I can set up a kegerator.

Until then I'll enjoy the local brew-pub and drink dogfish head, star hill, and ommegang while at home.

I wish we could get New Belgium Brewery products in VA.

Oberon if you haven't had Fat tire or any other beer made by new belgium you should try it out. I hear that they have expanded distribution to NC.
    I bought a six pack of New Belgium's winter seasonal last year, '40 Below'. It really hit the spot. I'll have to get some Fat Tire sometime. I often see the red New Belgium delivery truck running around town.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Here in the Northwest, we have many small breweries, and most are pretty good. Some are extraordinary.

I'm partial to Manny's Red Menace and Mac & Jack's African Amber, but there are lotsa others. Dechuttes Brewery is good, out of Portland, Or.

There is even a budding distillery movement in Washington state:

Local Distilleries Toast New Booze Bill | Slog | The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper

Love beer!

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I love that American beer is back. Some of my favorites:

Red Hook ESB (Seattle)
    Stone Ruination IPA (San Diego)
    Lagunitas IPA (Petaluma, CA)
    Watermelon Ale (Boston Beer Works)
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari