User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 84

Thread: American Beer

  1. #71
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I've never had a microbrew that I thought was better than mediocre. Not a one that is even as good as Hienikin.
    Well, I don't know what to say but I'd venture to say you haven't done much exploring. Heineken is not good or special, at all...

  2. #72
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Well, I don't know what to say but I'd venture to say you haven't done much exploring. Heineken is not good or special, at all...
    I disagree. The stuff is pretty good. It's a matter of taste really.

    Czech beer is the best I have had. I don't have much of the stuff anymore though (not since my early 30s). Sam Adams I cannot stand.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  3. #73

    Default

    I think in the 80s and the first part of the 90s American beer did kind of suck. But now the best American beers are as good as anyone's. Anything from Deschutes, Dogfish Head, Stone, or Lagunitas is top notch. I really like Red Hook too, it's a teeny step down from those, but it's more affordable as well. I've never really enjoyed Heineken. It's fine I guess, but it's not something I'd seek out.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  4. #74
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think in the 80s and the first part of the 90s American beer did kind of suck. But now the best American beers are as good as anyone's. Anything from Deschutes, Dogfish Head, Stone, or Lagunitas is top notch. I really like Red Hook too, it's a teeny step down from those, but it's more affordable as well. I've never really enjoyed Heineken. It's fine I guess, but it's not something I'd seek out.
    So are you saying Red Hook is as good as Pilsner Urquell or Newcastle Brown Ale? I don't see how it's even close. I haven't had those other ones you mention.

    By the way, I'm not a big Heineken fan. I just think it's better than any of the American beers I've had.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  5. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    So are you saying Red Hook is as good as Pilsner Urquell or Newcastle Brown Ale? I don't see how it's even close. I haven't had those other ones you mention.
    No, Red Hook is not as good as Newcastle, but Newcastle is an exceptional beer. I wasn't saying it's better than every beer from another country, merely that it's an example of an everyday American beer I like that's quite good. Your point was that you thought there weren't any good American beers, and that is one. I don't care much for Pilsner Urquell, but that's a taste thing, I understand it's held in high regard.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  6. #76
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    This is good beer
    I hate to pile on, but that's a beer to avoid in America along with Heineken. It's not a matter of taste, but of science. Green bottles let more UV light in that ruins beers and makes them skunky. It's hit or miss depending on freshness and storage with domestic green bottled beer like Yuengling (which is the best cheap beer when on draft on the east coast) but an imported green bottled beer will almost always taste skunky.

    I can't remember if I've had the Czech bud, but I did have a staropramen and it's pretty good, though I don't see what all the fuss is about. However, I do agree that Newcastle is always a really great solid and dependable beer choice.

    Edit: A supporting article
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...-beer-bottles/
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  7. #77
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think in the 80s and the first part of the 90s American beer did kind of suck. But now the best American beers are as good as anyone's. Anything from Deschutes, Dogfish Head, Stone, or Lagunitas is top notch. I really like Red Hook too, it's a teeny step down from those, but it's more affordable as well. I've never really enjoyed Heineken. It's fine I guess, but it's not something I'd seek out.
    FM knows what's up. I lived in Seattle for a little over a year. The Northwest has great stuff. Deschutes, Elysian, Fremont Brewing Co., Maritime Brewing Co., Red Hook, Pyramid, and the list goes on. Stone is from San Diego, but they are the shit as well. Probably the best beer I've had from Seattle is Quilters Irish Death from Iron Horse Brewery - it's classified as a "dark smooth ale".

    Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from Northcoast is good too.

  8. #78
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I hate to pile on, but that's a beer to avoid in America along with Heineken. It's not a matter of taste, but of science. Green bottles let more UV light in that ruins beers and makes them skunky. It's hit or miss depending on freshness and storage with domestic green bottled beer like Yuengling
    I don't care much about science, only what tastes good. The original Bud is excellent. Belgium has some pretty good beer too if I can recall correctly.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  9. #79
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I don't care much about science, only what tastes good. The original Bud is excellent. Belgium has some pretty good beer too if I can recall correctly.
    Fair enough.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  10. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    So are you saying Red Hook is as good as Pilsner Urquell or Newcastle Brown Ale? I don't see how it's even close. I haven't had those other ones you mention.

    By the way, I'm not a big Heineken fan. I just think it's better than any of the American beers I've had.
    Totally agree.

Similar Threads

  1. Americans + backpacking
    By JivinJeffJones in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM
  2. The Beer Thread
    By Noel in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 309
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
  3. American Chopper: Sr & jr
    By alcea rosea in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 07:22 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM
  5. North American Union: How Would You Feel/Think About It?
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO