User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Thread: American Beer

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I've never had a microbrew that I thought was better than mediocre. Not a one that is even as good as Hienikin.
    Well, I don't know what to say but I'd venture to say you haven't done much exploring. Heineken is not good or special, at all...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Well, I don't know what to say but I'd venture to say you haven't done much exploring. Heineken is not good or special, at all...
    I disagree. The stuff is pretty good. It's a matter of taste really.

Czech beer is the best I have had. I don't have much of the stuff anymore though (not since my early 30s). Sam Adams I cannot stand.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

I think in the 80s and the first part of the 90s American beer did kind of suck. But now the best American beers are as good as anyone's. Anything from Deschutes, Dogfish Head, Stone, or Lagunitas is top notch. I really like Red Hook too, it's a teeny step down from those, but it's more affordable as well. I've never really enjoyed Heineken. It's fine I guess, but it's not something I'd seek out.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think in the 80s and the first part of the 90s American beer did kind of suck. But now the best American beers are as good as anyone's. Anything from Deschutes, Dogfish Head, Stone, or Lagunitas is top notch. I really like Red Hook too, it's a teeny step down from those, but it's more affordable as well. I've never really enjoyed Heineken. It's fine I guess, but it's not something I'd seek out.
    So are you saying Red Hook is as good as Pilsner Urquell or Newcastle Brown Ale? I don't see how it's even close. I haven't had those other ones you mention.

By the way, I'm not a big Heineken fan. I just think it's better than any of the American beers I've had.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

So are you saying Red Hook is as good as Pilsner Urquell or Newcastle Brown Ale? I don't see how it's even close. I haven't had those other ones you mention.
    No, Red Hook is not as good as Newcastle, but Newcastle is an exceptional beer. I wasn't saying it's better than every beer from another country, merely that it's an example of an everyday American beer I like that's quite good. Your point was that you thought there weren't any good American beers, and that is one. I don't care much for Pilsner Urquell, but that's a taste thing, I understand it's held in high regard.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

This is good beer
    I hate to pile on, but that's a beer to avoid in America along with Heineken. It's not a matter of taste, but of science. Green bottles let more UV light in that ruins beers and makes them skunky. It's hit or miss depending on freshness and storage with domestic green bottled beer like Yuengling (which is the best cheap beer when on draft on the east coast) but an imported green bottled beer will almost always taste skunky.

I can't remember if I've had the Czech bud, but I did have a staropramen and it's pretty good, though I don't see what all the fuss is about. However, I do agree that Newcastle is always a really great solid and dependable beer choice.

Edit: A supporting article
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...-beer-bottles/
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    FM knows what's up. I lived in Seattle for a little over a year. The Northwest has great stuff. Deschutes, Elysian, Fremont Brewing Co., Maritime Brewing Co., Red Hook, Pyramid, and the list goes on. Stone is from San Diego, but they are the shit as well. Probably the best beer I've had from Seattle is Quilters Irish Death from Iron Horse Brewery - it's classified as a "dark smooth ale".

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from Northcoast is good too.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I hate to pile on, but that's a beer to avoid in America along with Heineken. It's not a matter of taste, but of science. Green bottles let more UV light in that ruins beers and makes them skunky. It's hit or miss depending on freshness and storage with domestic green bottled beer like Yuengling
    I don't care much about science, only what tastes good. The original Bud is excellent. Belgium has some pretty good beer too if I can recall correctly.

Tri-type 639

I don't care much about science, only what tastes good. The original Bud is excellent. Belgium has some pretty good beer too if I can recall correctly.
    Fair enough.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

By the way, I'm not a big Heineken fan. I just think it's better than any of the American beers I've had.
    Totally agree.