User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: American Beer

MBTI
    ISTx

I tried Elysian's Dragonstooth Stout when I went out to a joint on Capitol Hill with my friend, last weekend. It was tasty!

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    It stands for American Piss Water, and thank Heaven it is a style that appears to be on the wane in the US. In the APW class you can find all the classic US "premium" lagers such as the archetypal Budweiser, Coors, Miller, Stroh's, Pabst, and so on... essentially anything marketed by Anheuser Busch, Miller Brewing, the Molson Coors Company, or any of their subsidiaries, to include "lite" beers, "ice" beers, malt liquors, and so on.
    it's not on the wane at all... cheap beer still dominates in the USA. microbrews are exploding and selling like gangbusters, and for some people microbrews are the only beer that exists anymore. but Bud and Miller and the rest still blow them away. in my experience cheap beer still outsells microbrews a million to one in the USA.

i love microbrews, but i am not ashamed to say i am a Bud man.
    actually i am a Tecate Man. +

Beer could potentially save civilization, you know!
    absolutely right!!++

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Oberon if you haven't had Fat tire or any other beer made by new belgium you should try it out. I hear that they have expanded distribution to NC.
    1554!!

MBTI
    ISTx

1554 rules. I love all New Belgium's stuff.

I just got one of these (Pyramid Brewery) from Safeway... For not even $2 it's pretty good. 7% alc, ftw.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Oh. And anything from Flying Dog out of Maryland is good.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    it's not on the wane at all... cheap beer still dominates in the USA. microbrews are exploding and selling like gangbusters, and for some people microbrews are the only beer that exists anymore. but Bud and Miller and the rest still blow them away. in my experience cheap beer still outsells microbrews a million to one in the USA.
    Yes, but those numbers are slowly shifting in the microbrews' favor. I heard on the radio just this week that overall beer sales were down 7% this year compared to last year, but microbrew sales were up... which means that it's the premium beer manufacturers that are taking it in the shorts.

Which doesn't bother me in the least. They make an inferior product, they deserve to lose sales.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I don't drink much beer anymore but don't think I've every had an American beer that was actually good.

It's kind of like hot sauces. I can get a 69 cent bottle of Mexican hot sauce that's far better than any five dollar bottle of US hot sauce.

We seem to be incapable of brewing good beer.

Czech beer is probably the best though Belgium has some good ones too.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

My two favorites from Sam Adams.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

one of the bars across the river in college always had Indiana Beer Day, when the beers from our microbreweries were sold at a discount... my sis and I would always go to hit up our favorite microbrews from the state... she absolutley adores Upland Brewery's Wheat Ale while I tended to go for Three Floyd's Robert the Bruce Scottish Style Ale.... both are worth recommending
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    We seem to be incapable of brewing good beer.
    Well, before you render that final judgment I would recommend that you go back and try products from the brewers that have been mentioned... notably New Belgium, Pyramid, Dogfish Head, Brooklyn, Sierra Nevada, and Victory. I fully agree that nothing in the APW class is worth the trouble.

MBTI
    INTP

Beer could potentially save civilization, you know!
    Some historians believe that it was instrumental in starting civilization, giving hunter-gatherers a good reason to adopt settled agriculture.

I have to admit, though, that I prefer American Piss Water to any beer that tastes like Sam Adams-of course, I don't drink beer for the taste, anyway.