• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Beer

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, before you render that final judgment I would recommend that you go back and try products from the brewers that have been mentioned... notably New Belgium, Pyramid, Dogfish Head, Brooklyn, Sierra Nevada, and Victory. I fully agree that nothing in the APW class is worth the trouble.

OK. It's worth a try. I may have had Sierra Nevada. Not sure, but I've had a number of micro-brews, which are obviously better but not to the level of the European beers. Hey, I even think Tecate is better than 95% of American beers.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
I'm happy that our small business can thrive....there's room for lots of tastes....perhaps the microbrew movement may have pre-saged the fancy coffee eruption into our market......I'd rather see a return to thousands of small breweries serving our nation providing local flavor, local jobs and real choice to consumers.

O

Oberon

OK. It's worth a try. I may have had Sierra Nevada. Not sure, but I've had a number of micro-brews, which are obviously better but not to the level of the European beers. Hey, I even think Tecate is better than 95% of American beers.

I specifically recommend the following:

Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine
Victory Storm King Russian Imperial Stout
New Belgium's 1885 Ale
Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Weyerbacher's Insanity
Dogfish Head 60-Minute IPA
Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA

You will find that any of these beers have abundant enjoyable flavor.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
U.S. has plenty of good beer, it's just not the companies you see plastered all over billboards, chain restaurants and on TV commercials.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've had a few brews i like from smaller breweries can't remember the names of them though.

also i keep reading american bear. expecting a thread about the american black bear

O

Oberon

Tastes like hay smells. Imagine some healthy hospital tea, slightly carbonated - and there you go. Watch out! The 0.5p.c. alc. are bound to sneak up to you before you notice, grin.

Looks like someone failed to read the thread.

I recommend you do that, and try one of these while you're doing it:

Storm%20King.JPG

MBTI Type
INTJ
This past weekend I had some Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery in Oregon. It was absolutely fantastic, with a slight hint of dark chocolate and a deep flavor despite not being traditionally "heavy" like a stout. Immediately one of my favorites.

deschutes_black_butte_porter_and_glass.jpg

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^Had their IPA on Thanksgiving. Living in the land of good beer rules (PacNW)...

Last night I consumed the best beer I've ever had: "Quilter's Irish Death" from Iron Horse Brewery (Washington).
iron-horse-brewery-quilters.gif

Warpaint

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
I'm not a hardcore beer enthusiast, but I do happen to live in the Northwest, where kick ass beer is made. I'm rather fond of Bridgeport's IPA.

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
The U.S. has some great microbreweries! My favorites are Great Divide, Founder's, Rogue, and Highland brewing. As for mainstream beers, they all pretty much suck, EXCEPT for Sam Adams. They make some great, affordable beers. My favorite is their Cream Stout

I have to say that no American beers come close to the bottle of Belgian Westvleteren 12 that I had (undisputed #1 in the world according to beer enthusiasts). That beer was so good I literally almost shed a tear.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Great beer: (bumping this thread because I need ideas next time I hit the Flying Saucer)

saint_arnold_summer_pils.jpg

Although, it tasted a lot like a certain plant that made me wonder about the tie dyed coloring on the bottle.

Beorn

Permabanned
Omg. Punkin' Ale FTW.

344a275b9c5b9efbb98d3b03e6422b2e_zpsc999e0c2.jpg

Between this, raison detra, and 60 minute ipa I think dogfish head might be my favorite brewery.

Usehername

On a mission
Everyone warned me I'd be downgrading my beer experience by moving south, but I've been really impressed by the local brews. IMO there's no difference between Canadian and American quality beers any more.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Got this from Whole Foods the other day:

StarrHillPumpkinPorter.jpg

I am a HUGE fan. :wub:

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
pliny the younger *and* elder
three philosophers
"bourbon barrel aged vanilla bean dark lord" & "zombie dust" (lol) from three floyds
the abyss (naturally) from deshutes
founders kentucky breakfast stout (pfft you don't have a breakfast stout on hand at all times??)
heady topper
delirium tremens
arrogant bastard
king henry english barleywine
cantillon lambic
supplication *and* beatification, russian river brewing co (such lovely names, such lovely beer)

also a fan of a few local beers from martha's vineyard, "where my family summers."

/annoying. people actually say that there. ignore the snobs, drink the beer.