User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: American Beer

MBTI
    ISTx

I love New Belgium's brews (Colorado)
    Anchor Steam (San Francisco)

Then the couple of beers I had from local breweries here in Seattle were off the chain. Once I have an income, I can become more of a connoisseur for the local brews.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You're familiar with the three-letter beer designation IPA, right? It stands for India Pale Ale. Well, a friend of mine and I have coined a term for a uniquely American style of beer... APW.

It stands for American Piss Water, and thank Heaven it is a style that appears to be on the wane in the US. In the APW class you can find all the classic US "premium" lagers such as the archetypal Budweiser, Coors, Miller, Stroh's, Pabst, and so on... essentially anything marketed by Anheuser Busch, Miller Brewing, the Molson Coors Company, or any of their subsidiaries, to include "lite" beers, "ice" beers, malt liquors, and so on.

Thankfully, in the last decade Americans have rediscovered the kind of local brewing that was the rule rather than the exception back before Prohibition did away with all but the very largest of the regional brewers. The resurgence of local brewing gave rise to the brewpub (a pub where the beer is brewed on the premises and served in draft form) and the microbrew (a beer that is brewed and marketed on a very small scale).

The increasing popularity of microbrews has allowed certain local breweries to expand to the point where they can compete for national market share; an early example of this was the Samuel Adams company, whose Boston Lager still stands head and shoulders above its "premium" beer competition. Other breweries whose products are worthy of recognition are Sierra Nevada, Victory Brewing, Dogfish Head, and the Brooklyn Brewing Company.

At present the US brewing renaissance is well under way, with websites such as BeerAdvocate.com and ratebeer.com acting as clearing houses for information on new breweries and new products. It is arguable that the United States has one of the most exciting brewing scenes in the world, and is producing beers that rate the full equal of anything out of the time-hallowed breweries of Europe.

My personal favorite? Storm King Imperial Stout, by Victory. This is the kind of beer that one is enough, and it takes all evening to finish. There's more flavor in one Victory Storm King than in an entire six-pack of some lesser beers... and that's a good thing.
    I can find very little here to disagree with.

Some of my favorites: Arrogant Bastard Ale (Stone Brewing Co.), Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. I'll have to try that Storm King stuff to see how it compares to Old Rasputin.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    ISTx

I was JUST gonna say how I want to try Arrogant Bastard Ale, and then you mentioned it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I was JUST gonna say how I want to try Arrogant Bastard Ale, and then you mentioned it.

Dude, you must try it. It may be my favorite beer of all time. Strong, but not distractingly so, tastes great, will get you drunker'n shit, and comes in those huge awesome bottles.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Trentham View Post
    I can find very little here to disagree with.

Some of my favorites: Arrogant Bastard Ale (Stone Brewing Co.), Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. I'll have to try that Storm King stuff to see how it compares to Old Rasputin.
    I tell you what, I have tried the Old Rasputin, and I like it a lot; I'm a big fan of Russian Imperial Stouts as a style. Still, as good as Ol' Raspy is, I like Victory Storm King better.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I tell you what, I have tried the Old Rasputin, and I like it a lot; I'm a big fan of Russian Imperial Stouts as a style. Still, as good as Ol' Raspy is, I like Victory Storm King better.

Damn that looks appetizing. I wonder if I can find it around here...

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Anchor makes a brilliant Porter that even european breweries cant beat if you ask me. Especially on draft.

Anchor Steam Beer is brilliant aswell. If you look really close you can maybe find one or two breweries from USA (besides Budweiser and Miller's) in the bigger supermarkets here on a regular basis. If you go to beer importers you can find many more, something I dont do as much anymore. Mostly because of the price and here in Denmark we have a good amount of brilliant local breweries.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Anchor Steam is another favorite of mine, too.

Finding high-quality beer is nothing short of a quest here in Tennessee. State law prohibits the sale of beer above 6% ABV without a liquor license, and most liquor stores carry only wine and spirits. It can get annoying.

This reminds of an article I read this summer.

Beer. It’s What’s For Dinner. | Front Porch Republic

My fellow localists, lend me your beers. Would you have an active and informed citizenry that knows where it is and cares about its place? Would you have young men and women devoted to something rather than everything (which is to say nothing)? Would you meet on that beautiful shore—your own local brewery—in the sweet by and by?

Then see to it that good local beer gets brewed. Love baseball too and poetry and pottery and local music and a blues festival during the dog days of summer. But make or be a part of something worth caring about and defending. Do you live in a noplace? Get the hell out of there and settle in a someplace. Drink beer and belong.
    Oh man I forgot to mention Bourbon Barrel Stout!

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Oberon

Then there's Weyerbacher Insanity Ale... it's aged in bourbon barrels too, and has a pretty pronounced bourbon flavor. It's also over 11% ABV.