User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Help with cooking

For the first time in my life, I have to grocery shop AND cook/prepare food for myself. I don't want to be the unhealthy ramen/frozen pizza bachelor, but I'm living rather frugally for the time being. Need some nutritional, easy to prepare meals/food item ideas. My dinner tonight was scrambled eggs mixed with sharp cheddar cheese and bits of turkey, whole wheat toast and carrot sticks.

High protein is a plus.

MBTI
    ISTx

Guess I'll starve to death. Thanks guys!

MBTI
    INTj

Buy fresh fruit, vegetables, string cheese, yogurt, and a couple packs of beef jerky.

I call that the "Cave Man" diet.

Roll with it while you ruin a lot of food on your way to learn how to cook.

Cheers.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Buy an all-purpose cookbook, like Betty Crocker, Better Homes and Gardens, or Pillsbury. Buy a few cookbooks designed for quick meals, easy meals, or small meals. Start with simple stuff. You'll get it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Pasta with any mix of:
    -mushroomz
    -corn
    -bean sprouts
    -carrot
    -lettuce
    -tomato
    -any other veggetable you like
    -cheese cubes
    and your choice of extra protein if you like meat, I use shred chicken (good for leftovers) with pieces of bacon, I'll put them in a pan with olive oil, wine/balsamic vinegar and some spice, oregon, pepper, I suggest you buy a bunch of them and experiment to your liking.

You can also do bolognese, just buy hamburger meat [fresh shreded, here we can choose it and ask to do it in the market place), maybe shred some onion and add in a pan with some olive oil, tomato juice [buy it in package or toothpaste like tube] and salt to flavour with prefered spice, pepper oregon..

Spice and herbs really adds a different flavour and helps reducing the need for too much salt.

More simple also healthy food: some frozen sword-fish [in packages], potato, carrot, brocolli, all boiled in a pan of water just until it covers everything with a teaspoon of salt. Serve with olive oil, lemon juice.

That's just some stuff from the top of my head. Google for recipes, there's a ton of sites and stuff out there.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Chicken drumsticks are really easy to make (throw in the oven or bbq until no pink inside, will be about 20-30 mins with no effort) as well as one of the cheapest meats and delicious (especially if you add spices).

I buy a lot of fresh veggies that I like, like baby carrots, cucumber and broccoli for snacks whenever (can be dipped in salad dressing like ranch if you want). Fruits too. Can't get easier than pulling it out of the fridge and eating it.

I like bagels and bread for convenience, not really the healthiest but ok for filler. Both can be frozen (so the whole thing doesn't mold) and thaw quickly in microwave or toasted directly.

I eat a lot of plain yogurt and granola for breakfast, I usually have bananas which are cheap and very good for you, and also get berries or fresh fruit to mix in when it's in season (cheap). Eggs are also pretty cheap and high in protein and nutrients.

Mostly for dinner I just try to have some carb (rice, baked potato, pasta, sweet potato, etc), some green fresh veggie (whatever's on sale), and often meat, with the plate 1/2 veggies, 1/3 carbs and a bit meat. If you shop the sales and don't buy too much junk it shouldn't be too expensive. Variety with the components is the key to not getting bored.

You can google "easy recipes" or "30 min meals" or something if you want to be more fancy than that, though.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

An easy and tasty way to cook chicken breasts.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    2. While oven is preheating, cover the chicken breasts with a small amount of lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
    3. Cook for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

And there you go. Takes about 5 minutes of actual work, and 35 minutes to prepare. Combine with some frozen veggies, salad, or other sides for a quick and easy meal.

MBTI
    INFP

I've really gotten into cooking and eating healthily lately.

Every night I eat an oak lettuce salad with cherry heirloom tomatoes. You get the lettuce from trader joe's. There is a red head and a green head in the bag. Bleu cheese dressing.

And I switch off between boneless skinless chicken breast w/ bbq sauce, salmon filet w/ spinach & feta in the middle, and prime rib steak (all from TJ's. Their meat quality is the bomb)

It's amazing how fun and delicious it is to eat healthy.

And for dessert I usually go for a fuji apple w/ honey peanut butter.

MBTI
    ISTx

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

On average, how much do you guys spend on groceries per month?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far!

On average, how much do you guys spend on groceries per month?
    Eggs, dozens of eggs. They are one of the most versatile foods you can get.

Between $100-200 a month. Depending on how creative I feel.