User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Default The Wonder of Wasps

I hate those flying stingers on wings like a cat hates water. And I always seem to get the ones that chase me all the way back into the house. Then they sit on the porch rail just waiting on me to come back out.

Bastards....

Anyway, I was curious about some new symptoms that cropped up when I got stung several times yesterday.

I was repainting wooden benchs at our shooting range when four red wasps decided they didn't like the color I was painting on "their" benches. Much cursing, hollering, and general temper throwing ensued.

I was stung four times; once on the arm, twice on my rear, once on the back of my neck.

Normally, I'd just swell a bit and itch for a while. This time though, my hands started to itch, then my arms, then down my legs and down to my feet. My chest got tight and started coughing because it felt like I had something caught in my throat.

I have never been highly allergic to wasp stings other than some spectacular swelling in the local area. Did I truly have some sort of allergic reaction, or was it something else?

Either way, once I started itching and coughing, I was sent to our medical staff and was given a Benadril.
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.

Oberon

You need to see a medic and get an Epi-Pen... that's an epinephrine self-injector that will save your life if you start to have a severe allergic reaction. Go into anaphylactic shock and you can be dead in minutes. Oral Benadryl won't get in your system fast enough to help.

That coughing symptom is due to swelling in your throat. It can get severe enough to suffocate you. Though the progression of symptoms in response to stings over time can be unpredictable, it tends to get worse.

I hate to be a little ray of sunshine here, but I thought I should warn you.

Oberon

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Well, it's probably that you were stung more than once that caused the severe reaction. So you ended up with more of their venom (or whatever the evil bastards sting you with) in your system. I'd go back to the medics and let them know all of your current symptoms just to be on the safe side.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Should you have been really "highly allergic" to wasp's venom, you would be dead right now after 4 stings.

Your reaction seems to remain within normal parameters even if it looks more impressive than usual, especially after four consecutive stings. But could you specify the wasp's specie, just to be sure?

Most bees (even our friendly honey bees) have a more potent venom than wasps, with one single exception, Vespa mandarinia.
    Usually, ten consecutive stings are enough to kill any human adult in good health, even if they're not allergic to it.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Real life doctors are going to help you out the most in this situation, rather than people on forums.

Plus, I really want wasps to be extinct...I see no purpose to them existing at all as any part of food chain or whatever...they're just a nuisance.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    Plus, I really want wasps to be extinct...I see no purpose to them existing at all as any part of food chain or whatever...they're just a nuisance.
    You should see the mud-daubers hunting down the cabbage loopers in my garden... they look like little Apache helicopters coming in for the kill. One sting, then they grab up the little green worm and fly away with it.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I believe that if you're stung enough times you can become allergic to them. I think I remember hearing that on Billy the Exterminator.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I believe that if you're stung enough times you can become allergic to them. I think I remember hearing that on Billy the Exterminator.
    Billy the Exterminator is pretty bad ass.... I am ashamed to admit... I seem to be a little bit addicted to his show.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Ah, that's what I figured. I did (was required actually) go to the medic today and he explained that with each sting, even a mildly allergic person can get worse. They did some family history and I have a grandmother on both sides who is deathly allergic to stings.

They decided to play it safe and give me an epipen, especially when I'm out and about where wasps are concerned.

So now I keep one of those wonderful epipens in my pocket since my superiors seem to think repainting wasp infested benchs are "fun".

EDIT: Actually, I wound up getting stung again today, and I was grateful that I was sent to the medic. The reaction I got this time was much worse. Not lethal, but it was scary.
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.