User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    XXFP

I thought that with bees, at least, most people build an immunity to them which increases with repeated contact - such as bee keepers who get stung often and then stop showing effects like swelling.

Clearly, in some people the effect is reversed and people are very allergic, but I'm just wondering.

Are wasps different?
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post

Are wasps different?
    No.

As a matter of fact, some insects we classify as "solitary wasps" are in fact genetically closer to our domestic bees.
    Basically, they're all within the same clade.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Aye, I hate wasps with an unholy vengence and want to see them driven to extinction. They're totally and utterly evil, I dont know what we're doing to the planet to kill all the bees but we should do it slightly differently so it kills the wasps instead.

There's horror movies and books about them being used as biological weapons. I'm sure they could be. Consequentially being WMDs the next world disarmament talks should deal with how to eradicate the wasps altogether.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Wasps are very useful and much maligned.

Unlike Catholics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You should see the mud-daubers hunting down the cabbage loopers in my garden... they look like little Apache helicopters coming in for the kill. One sting, then they grab up the little green worm and fly away with it.
    Huh...I assumed they served no purpose...I must just be thinking about the paper wasps...or yellow jackets. They're body patterns just scream 'Asshole!'

Oberon

Yellowjackets, paper wasps, and hornets are all predators and all beneficial because of the great number of pest insects they consume.

That doesn't keep me from despising the painful little bastards, though I will pursue a live-and-let-live approach if they have nested in an area where I don't have to encounter them.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Yellowjackets, paper wasps, and hornets are all predators and all beneficial because of the great number of pest insects they consume.

That doesn't keep me from despising the painful little bastards, though I will pursue a live-and-let-live approach if they have nested in an area where I don't have to encounter them.
    They seem to live off of us, it seems. All I see around dumpsters are yellow jackets, they've become lazy and has made it scarier to take out the trash. I have a deep-seeded fear of these creatures.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I thought we were going to be talking about White Anglo Saxon Protestants.

The first time I got stung, it just itched/hurt. The second time, my arm swelled up like a football. Supposedly it progresses like that, the more you're stung, the worse the reaction.

I've heard that bees are getting more aggressive.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I've been stung countless times by wasps and bees (When you're a botanist, those things do happen), and the reaction never got worse. On the contrary, I'd say that the last time I was stung by a wasp, the experience was barely more annoying than a mosquitoe's bite. But wasps are easier to elude than moquitoes: when you know them, it's easy not to attract their attention. I have even fed some on my bare hands, and they never became aggressive.

Of course, their reaction towards men also depends of the specie you're facing. Once again, you just have to know them well. Common European wasps (Polistes sp.) are easy to manipulate, while hornets (Vespa sp.), on the other hand, can be very mischevious...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Hrrm, well, Blackmail, I'm a woman, so I guess wasps are just destined to hate me XD
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.