User Tag List

123 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default Do some people actually LIKE cleaning?

Okay, so there's my mother-in-law, and every time I want to help her with cleaning or stuff when we are there - which isn't very often, but still - she says, "No, I like cleaning/cooking/etc."

This baffles me. I like the END RESULT of cleaning, sure, i.e. I don't want to live in a dirty house, so I bite the bullet and clean. And sure, I don't want to necessarily clean when I am on vacation, but I'm not a douche bag who wants to force my mother-in-law to clean for me. After all, I am THIRTY.

But I figure, it's her house, and I'm not going to dictate. Maybe she has her own routine and doesn't want me screwing it up.

However, I really wonder if some people actually enjoy the process of cleaning. It's boring. It's tedious. It's not something I can even deal with without music, an audiobook, or a movie playing, or I'd run away screaming.

Is it just an innate thing? Was she being facetious? CAN I TRAIN MYSELF to actually LIKE it?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    This baffles me. I like the END RESULT of cleaning, sure, i.e. I don't want to live in a dirty house, so I bite the bullet and clean.
    If you like the end result, then you might as well warm up to the process of attaining it, right?

However, I really wonder if some people actually enjoy the process of cleaning. It's boring. It's tedious. It's not something I can even deal with without music, an audiobook, or a movie playing, or I'd run away screaming.
    I love it.
    I'm not kidding.

I like clenaing, yardwork, housework, whatever.
    I like creating ORDER.
    I like making my environment FUNCTIONAL and EFFICIENT.

I also like blasting kick ass music while doing it, having a few beers, and goofing through the process in general. That's what makes it fun, HOW you approach the action.

Is it just an innate thing? Was she being facetious? CAN I TRAIN MYSELF to actually LIKE it?
    You can, and the mindset will benefit you in accomplishing other necessary and important tasks in your life. FUN is a MINDSET.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I like clenaing, yardwork, housework, whatever.
    I like creating ORDER.
    I like making my environment FUNCTIONAL and EFFICIENT.

I also like blasting kick ass music while doing it, having a few beers, and goofing through the process in general. That's what makes it fun, HOW you approach the action.
    Same for me. Especially the bolded. (why do those two look like they're having a twig fight? )

I wouldn't actually say that I love cleaning, but I might as well make it as enjoyable as possible while I have to do it. No point in wasting time whining about something you can just as easily get quickly out of the way. It doesn't have to be painful, it's all in the mind. And most importantly, don't make a mess! Then you won't have to clean it up.

no. i have a housekeeper.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

That is one thing I really hate doing. I really envy people who do it without caring much about it or who even like it. I sometimes think if I should earn enough money in my future job to hire someone for doing it. On the other hand I wouldn't want strangers in my house (esp. my private sphere), but I will worry about that dilemma when the situation is there.

Enneagram
    CFV

Sober, no.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Yes. It is usually linked to being really boring and unimaginative...
    Also, people who loves cleaning usually take pleasure in torturing people to death etc.
    I have studied these... Monsters... for a few years now.
    They are all around us, and they control the planet through a secret organization of immense wealth.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't enjoy the process of cleaning but I do enjoy admiring the end result from it. To make it more bearable, I usually have music or a video playing in the background. Making a game out of it helps too (e.g. Let's see how many shelves I can dust in X amount of time and beat my previous record).
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Hate it. I listen to audiobooks while I'm doing stuff so I can keep my brain happy while my body is on auto-pilot.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Banned

I don't particularly enjoy it, but the feeling I get when everything is clean and neat is great. However I used to be very different when I was younger. You would find yourself balls deep in dust bunnies when ever you entered my room. I didn't change sheets in my bed for 6 months etc. Come to think of it I should have had a sign that said Abandon hope all ye who breaths in here. Ironically I scored INTP back in those days.