• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do some people actually LIKE cleaning?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, so there's my mother-in-law, and every time I want to help her with cleaning or stuff when we are there - which isn't very often, but still - she says, "No, I like cleaning/cooking/etc."

This baffles me. I like the END RESULT of cleaning, sure, i.e. I don't want to live in a dirty house, so I bite the bullet and clean. And sure, I don't want to necessarily clean when I am on vacation, but I'm not a douche bag who wants to force my mother-in-law to clean for me. After all, I am THIRTY.

But I figure, it's her house, and I'm not going to dictate. Maybe she has her own routine and doesn't want me screwing it up.

However, I really wonder if some people actually enjoy the process of cleaning. It's boring. It's tedious. It's not something I can even deal with without music, an audiobook, or a movie playing, or I'd run away screaming.

Is it just an innate thing? Was she being facetious? CAN I TRAIN MYSELF to actually LIKE it?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This baffles me. I like the END RESULT of cleaning, sure, i.e. I don't want to live in a dirty house, so I bite the bullet and clean.

If you like the end result, then you might as well warm up to the process of attaining it, right? :cheese:

However, I really wonder if some people actually enjoy the process of cleaning. It's boring. It's tedious. It's not something I can even deal with without music, an audiobook, or a movie playing, or I'd run away screaming.

I love it.
I'm not kidding.

I like clenaing, yardwork, housework, whatever.
I like creating ORDER.
I like making my environment FUNCTIONAL and EFFICIENT.

I also like blasting kick ass music while doing it, having a few beers, and goofing through the process in general. That's what makes it fun, HOW you approach the action.

Is it just an innate thing? Was she being facetious? CAN I TRAIN MYSELF to actually LIKE it?

You can, and the mindset will benefit you in accomplishing other necessary and important tasks in your life. FUN is a MINDSET. :yes:

P

Phantonym

I like creating ORDER.

I also like blasting kick ass music while doing it, having a few beers, and goofing through the process in general. That's what makes it fun, HOW you approach the action.

Same for me. Especially the bolded. :hifive: (why do those two look like they're having a twig fight? :thinking:)

I wouldn't actually say that I love cleaning, but I might as well make it as enjoyable as possible while I have to do it. No point in wasting time whining about something you can just as easily get quickly out of the way. It doesn't have to be painful, it's all in the mind. And most importantly, don't make a mess! Then you won't have to clean it up. :laugh:

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
That is one thing I really hate doing. I really envy people who do it without caring much about it or who even like it. I sometimes think if I should earn enough money in my future job to hire someone for doing it. On the other hand I wouldn't want strangers in my house (esp. my private sphere), but I will worry about that dilemma when the situation is there.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. It is usually linked to being really boring and unimaginative...
Also, people who loves cleaning usually take pleasure in torturing people to death etc.
I have studied these... Monsters... for a few years now.
They are all around us, and they control the planet through a secret organization of immense wealth.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't enjoy the process of cleaning but I do enjoy admiring the end result from it. To make it more bearable, I usually have music or a video playing in the background. Making a game out of it helps too (e.g. Let's see how many shelves I can dust in X amount of time and beat my previous record).

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hate it. I listen to audiobooks while I'm doing stuff so I can keep my brain happy while my body is on auto-pilot.

Within

Permabanned
I don't particularly enjoy it, but the feeling I get when everything is clean and neat is great. However I used to be very different when I was younger. You would find yourself balls deep in dust bunnies when ever you entered my room. I didn't change sheets in my bed for 6 months etc. Come to think of it I should have had a sign that said Abandon hope all ye who breaths in here. Ironically I scored INTP back in those days.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I can't stand cleaning at all and i don't really pay attention so the end result doesn't affect me. I could live in my own filth but people won't let me.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
OOOOOOH yes I know an ESFJ who gets kicks from new pairs of washing up gloves. Especially the yellow ones and says that no smell of perfume matches the smell of bleach! Shopping with her is a complete nightmare cos she goes so slowly down the cleaning aisle.... sooooo many products.... so little time! *yawn* and she is sooo disciplined with her budget but has 'luxury buys' which are FAR FAR FAR from it in my book.... to me luxury buys are like... well I don't know... belguim chococlates.... Red patent shoes..... candyfloss..... helium baloons... to her their like..... tablet things that make the tolet go blue!!!!!!!!!! or 'perfume' for the lounge and pot puree!!!?????

Mind you every cloud... her house is one of those that I can safely go to no matter how hypochondriac I'm feeling... Youcan like eat off the floors there... One night at hers and Howard Hughes would have been a changed man!

Usehername

On a mission
I love washing the dishes because while my hands are busy I can Ni all the time. It's productive daydreaming scheduled into my day.

I used to ask to do the dishes when I waitressed, then I'd come home and do the dishes of the 6 of us, and then usually my sister would make us a movie snack and I'd do those dishes.

:wubbie:

I just don't like when I'm swamped with stuff to do and the lack of clean dishes are slowing me down. Other than that, though, if I have the time I'm glad to Ni!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really don't enjoy cleaning, but I like for things to be clean, so I put on loud and obnoxious music to make it a less unbearably boring activity :blush:

I even set up a rewards system for myself, such as "if you clean the house, you get to buy a watermelon and eat it! :holy:" :doh:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I really don't enjoy cleaning, but I like for things to be clean, so I put on loud and obnoxious music to make it a less unbearably boring activity :blush:

I even set up a rewards system for myself, such as "if you clean the house, you get to buy a watermelon and eat it! :holy:" :doh:
you can still eat watermelon without cleaning :devil:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah... but I would be grossed out by cutting it with a dirty knife on a dirty cutting board :boohoo:

I actually am quite afraid of sticky things, which kind of explains my clean tendancies :laugh:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If you like the end result, then you might as well warm up to the process of attaining it, right? :cheese:

I love it.
I'm not kidding.

I like creating ORDER.

You can, and the mindset will benefit you in accomplishing other necessary and important tasks in your life. FUN is a MINDSET. :yes:

This.

Honestly, I can see how people hate certain tasks (I dislike dusting because I am allergic and sneeze a lot from it.. same with mowing the lawn.) but not the task itself.

It's necessary, without a doubt. It's something everyone must do. When I was a teen I just decided I can either enjoy the results of my actions, or I can mope and complain.. luckily, I decide the former for everything in my life. :D

I'm one of those weirdos that get all excited about a new cleaning product coming out that makes life easier. I like the results, I like being active and busy..