• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Slow cooker recipes

Usehername

On a mission
Hey you! Do you know any recipes for a slow cooker that are:

great tasting and/or
easy to prepare and/or
healthy and/or
cheap and/or
good for one person?

Would you share them here please? :)

O

Oberon

Start with:

1 chicken, cut up

Add:

1 large onion, chopped
2 cups water
1 tbsp. rosemary
Salt
Pepper

Put all ingredients in the slow cooker, plug in, turn on, and put the lid on. Leave for work.

When you come home you'll have about a quart of chicken stock plus cooked chicken, hot and ready to eat. You can eat this as is, or use the stock and meat as soup base for any number of delicious soups (pick the meat off the bones first).

Plus, when you get home from work your whole house will smell like chicken broth.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i always use mirepoix as a base for all slow cooking.
it's onions, carrot and celery (used in traditional french stews)
makes the broth aromatic and "homey".

then i throw in the meat. and fresh pepper.
i like using spareribs / baby ribs actually.
so i don't need to use a stock cube.

i never add salt until it's served
(the salt makes the meat less tender
also if you want to keep the meat super juicy,
don't cut up the meat until ready to serve).

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
Pork in Red Wine

You can use pretty much any cut of pork with this, I'm not a fan of meat so my husband always picks the meat out. So any type of pork roast (don't use tenderloin though)

Make slivers in the roast and shove garlic in.

Dump dried onion soup in the crockpot and roll the roast on top of it.

Pour a 3/4 cup of red wine and a cup of water in. Add 3 tablespoons of minced garlic and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce.

I think the cook time is about 4 hours on low, but it also depends on how big of a roast you get.

I normally serve this with mashed taters. You can use the leftover juice in the pot as is or you can thicken with cornstarch to make a gravy. Yum Yum

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh and pulled pork is soooo easy.

Throw the pork and some kind of cola product in all day on low. Shred the pork and empty all the juices if there is too much. Add your favorite bbq sauce and stir. You're done.

This is our traditional halloween meal :devil: So easy and quick

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Right now I've got a pork roast simmering.

Heat skillet to med-hi
Add enough olive oil to cover bottom of skillet
Sprinkle roast with seasonings (I use Lowry's Seasoned Salt, black pepper, and Italian seasonings)
Brown both sides of roast

Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray
Add peeled, cut up potatoes to cooker
Add small diced onion to cooker
Add half bag baby carrots
Set roast on top of vegetables
Add one cup of chicken broth

Cook on low for 6-8 hours give or take

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
If you like soup or stew, you can put just about any kind of meat, some broth, chopped onion and a bag of frozen mixed veggies into the pot and have something really yummy. If you are pressed for time, you can even buy bags of frozen chopped onion in the frozen veggie department, put them in a ziplock bag and use as needed.

Soup stores well and tends to improve with each re-heating.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
Right now I've got a pork roast simmering.

Heat skillet to med-hi
Add enough olive oil to cover bottom of skillet
Sprinkle roast with seasonings (I use Lowry's Seasoned Salt, black pepper, and Italian seasonings)
Brown both sides of roast

yes! this is called "sealing" the meat.
keeps it juicy and tender inside. mmmm!
however i do it without the salt, and use
bragg's amino acids instead...

i'm greedy when it comes to juicy meat.
so i always add salt last...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lol... I was about to start a thread on this since we both get home from work around 7 and are always famished :laugh:

the only thing I've ever used the slow cooker for before is making barbecued pulled chicken :blush:

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm still playing around with my slow-cooker. All I've really learned from my experience thus far is that a little celery goes a looong way in a slow-cooked stew. Beware the celery.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm scared of celery anyway, except in small, inoccuous quantities.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
This may not be to everyone's taste, but it is healthy, easy, and fairly inexpensive. I'm not certain on some of the measurements, since I never measure anything...:

• one medium onion, chopped small
  • one small box mushrooms, chopped (and cleaned, obviously)
  • one yellow bell pepper, chopped
  • one orange bell pepper, chopped
  • 4-5 small roma tomatoes, chopped
  • one 15-o can of kernel corn, drained
  • one part whole grain brown rice
  • one part quinoa
  • one part barley (medium)
  • one part lentils
  • season with spices -- I like salt, pepper, red pepper, thyme, rosemary, and oregano

Put all of this in a crockpot and fill with water. Cook 8+ hours (I usually do overnight, around 12, but I don't think it matters much after some point). On the "one part" ingredients, I think it's probably about 2/3rds of a cup each, but I never really measure. Note -- these ingredients all expand... don't use too much or you get a mess :D.

Once it's cooked, I usually cook a package of extra-lean ground turkey until it's browned and add on top with mozzarella cheese (not the nasty low-fat stuff). You can skip the turkey/cheese part, but it is pretty good :drool:.

Oh, yeah -- this makes sort of a lot. Maybe enough for 6? I usually wind up bringing it to work for lunch for 8-9 days, along with dried veggies/fruit. It is better fresh, though.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm still playing around with my slow-cooker. All I've really learned from my experience thus far is that a little celery goes a looong way in a slow-cooked stew. Beware the celery.

Oh, yeah. Celery really gets around in a slowcooker situation. Same goes for bell peppers.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
This receip is worth it. From one of my favourite cook book Crazy Plates by Janet & Greta Podleski ISBN 0-9680631-2-8

Stew Good to Be True

2 pounds stewing beef, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cube
3 cups peeled, cubed potatoes
2 cups chopped carrots
1-1/2 cups chopped onions
2 cups tomato sauce
1 can (10 oz) low-sodium, low-fat beef broth, undiluted
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp Dijion mustard
1 bay leaf
1-1/4 tsp each dried marjoram and dried thyme
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley

1) Combine all ingredients except cornstarch and parsley in a 3-quart or larger slow cooker. Cover and simmer on low setting for 9 hours. Stir occasionally.

2) Combine cornstarch with an equal amount water and sir until lump-free. Add to stew and mix well. Cook for 1 more hour. Stir in parsley just before serving.

Makes 6 servings

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This isn't what I'd call a healthy recipe but it's SO good. I'm a grilling snob but this is easy and relatively cheap. Pork butt is like $1.50/lb all the time. You can divide it up and freeze in smaller portions.

Ultimate Cheater Pulled Pork

Makes 12 to 14 servings

* One 5- to 6-pound boneless Boston butt pork roast or same weight of boneless country-style pork ribs
* 1/4 cup Cheater Basic Dry Rub (recipe follows) (you can buy a commercial rub for pork too)
* 1/2 cup bottled smoke
* Barbecue sauce of your choice(We use Stubbs, it's probably the most healthy bbq sauce)

1. Cut the pork butt into medium (2- to 3-inch) chunks (the ribs don't need to be cut up).

2. Put the pieces in a large slow cooker (at least 5 quarts). Sprinkle the meat with the rub, turning the pieces to coat evenly. Add the bottled smoke.

3. Cover and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or on low for 10 to 12 hours, until the meat is pull-apart tender and reaches an internal temperature of 190 F.

4. Using tongs and a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a rimmed platter or baking sheet. Let rest until cool enough to handle. Pull the meat into strands. It should shred very easily. Serve the barbecue piled on buns with your favorite barbecue sauce.

5. To serve the barbecue later, cover and refrigerate the meat when it has cooled. Pour the meat juice into a separate container and refrigerate. Before reheating the juice, skim and discard the congealed fat layer on the top.

6. To reheat the barbecue, place it in a saucepan moistened with some of the reserved juice. Gently heat the meat on medium-low, stirring occasionally. Or, place it in a covered casserole with some of the reserved juice and heat in a 350 F oven for 20 to 30 minutes.

7. While the meat warms, combine the barbecue sauce and some of the additional reserved meat juice in a saucepan. Heat through and serve with the barbecue.

Cheater Basic Dry Rub
Makes about 2/3 cup

* 1/4 cup paprika
* 2 tablespoons kosher salt
* 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon dry mustard

1. Combine all the ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake to blend.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I add some shredded carrot with the broccoli too.