• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Offal Eaters Unit!

Lark

I've got to say that I love Haggis, Black Pudding and some of the other UK recipes which I know outsiders would consider offal eating, I've even heard US citizens bawlk at the idea of steak and kidney pie, describing that as offal eating.

What is your reaction to this? Would you eat any of these recipes or do you know of any others? I've never tried sheeps eyes, bulls heart, pig's head or trotters but I'd not be totally opposed to the idea, I'm a bit of food adventurer besides asian Bant (spelling) I think I'd try anything.

I know that some vegetarians are bemused at the "I'll eat this but not this" or will remind people that mass produced pies and burgers are often made with reclaimed meat or beef connective tissue anyway but that's not exactly what I'm talking about.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would not, could not on a boat
I would not, could not with a goat

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I tried cow lung soup once, in Germany. It was a little slimy, but didn't taste bad.

I've yet to try haggis, but I would, if I had the opportunity.

Black pudding is just gross. :D :sick:

Lark

I tried cow lung soup once, in Germany. It was a little slimy, but didn't taste bad.

I've yet to try haggis, but I would, if I had the opportunity.

Black pudding is just gross. :D :sick:

Really? I find that some varieties of black pudding are similar to haggis if its got a lot of oats in it, haggis is perhaps more peppery and meaty, the consistency is different too.

O

Oberon

I have eaten pork souse, the livers of deer, elk, and cow, beef heart, and pork kidney. I have also eaten natural-casing sausage, which is of course intestines, and bladder sausage, which is just what it sounds like (from a pig). I've had chicken and turkey livers, hearts, and gizzards, and beef sweetbreads (salivary glands). Oh, and I've eaten beef tongue, which is quite nice.

I have not had the opportunity to sample menudo, tripe, lungs, haggis, brains, or chitterlings (chitlins). Of the above I would gladly try all but the brains.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have not had the opportunity to sample menudo, tripe, lungs, haggis, brains, or chitterlings (chitlins). Of the above I would gladly try all but the brains.

You seem to be a very adventurous eater, but you would not make a good zombie. :newwink:

They have haggis at the annual Scottish fair in southern MN, but I've never been able to make it down there. And I think they might have had it at Fest for Scottish weekend, but it'd have been in the Special Events area, which I rarely make it out to. I can't remember if they have it at Irish Fair... I don't think so.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had brains once. I would rather eat brains than guts.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not very adventurous, but if it looked really good (and maybe if others said it was good) I might try it. I'm all about the presentation ;)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As an American Southerner, I've eaten stuff that I don't think other people would eat. Or I should say sample...

Pickled pigs feet. Nasty.

Chitlins. You have not smelled horror until you have smelled this stuff cooking.

Beef kidneys. Yikes! Another smells bad while cooking.

Tripe. No. Thank. You.

Oxtails. Actually very good.

Fish head stew. Tastes fine but those eyes!

Gator tail. This is some really good stuff. And yes--it tastes like (very flavorful) chicken.

Cooter stew. Stop being nasty--I'm talking about a turtle here. Yuck.

Lark

I have eaten pork souse, the livers of deer, elk, and cow, beef heart, and pork kidney. I have also eaten natural-casing sausage, which is of course intestines, and bladder sausage, which is just what it sounds like (from a pig). I've had chicken and turkey livers, hearts, and gizzards, and beef sweetbreads (salivary glands). Oh, and I've eaten beef tongue, which is quite nice.

I really like Liver, dont eat it often because its not as often that I'd be in the butchers to buy it now but its good stuff, I used to hate it when I was a kid.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I really like Liver, dont eat it often because its not as often that I'd be in the butchers to buy it now but its good stuff, I used to hate it when I was a kid.

Liver *shudders with horror*. My mother made me eat that stuff. She fixed it with bacon and onions...it took me about an hour to eat a sliver of it.

Fried chicken livers--More yuck in a smaller package.

Fried chicken gizzards--Will make myself ill eating them b/c they are so good.

Okay, I admit I will eat chicken livers...they are required when making dirty rice.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I'm a Canadian that loves Vegemite!!!

am I in??

and I really AM an adventurous eater, I'll try ANYTHING at least once... well.. almost anything. There are some stuff out there that I just can't say yes too.

edit:

I HATE anything meat. but I often eat chicken burgers every now and then. But I'm still willing to try anything new to me.
Except for piggies. I don't do piggies. : D

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
...are often made with reclaimed meat or beef connective tissue anyway but that's not exactly what I'm talking about.

Hmmmmmm sausage, hot dogs, and spam anyone?

I'm not too adventurous when it comes to eating food, but I have eaten strange things before. Maybe not as far as something like an animal's brain, but something like sea cucumber is up there (as far as texture goes.) There are also food that I eat that others find nasty or gross.

The state fair this year had fried scorpion for sale. I wanted to try it, but wasn't able to.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I like cows tongue and pigs ears. No joke

I hate cow tongue. The texture is too similar to sheep's brain( which I've also tried). ><!!

I've tried a lot of weird things, some stuff people might consider disgusting, like Tripe( I like)

Oui, I'm strange! :hi:

Edit: My inclination to eat strange and borderline disgusting things is also the reason I think I'd kick ass on Bear Gryll's Man vs. Wild. *swoons*

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Crickets, roaches, earthworms, Cottonmouth, Smelt, bone marrow, Menudo.

Almost tried Chitlins, the smell turned me off...way, way, off...