First 1234 Last

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    That depends. Is it kosher?
    that depends on how it is killed and who it is killed by
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by You'reWrongI'mRight View Post
    I'm a Canadian that loves Vegemite!!!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I love calves liver with onion gravy, mashed potato and peas! Tongue is a favourite, as is brawn (made with the head and offcuts), deviled kidneys, the occasional tripe in white sauce with onion and parsley, chicken livers cooked in butter and served on toast, marrow, and my Jewish Grandmother's chopped liver (chicken crackling, chopped egg and chicken liver).

I make my own paté but cannot stand the texture or taste of brains.
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    U know how hard that stuff is to find in sweden???? I have to have it delivered from an Aussie online store lol

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by You'reWrongI'mRight View Post
    U know how hard that stuff is to find in sweden???? I have to have it delivered from an Aussie online store lol
    I'm impressed!! Only a true connoisseur would be driven that far!! You will have to be made a virtual Aussie!
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

Oberon

Oh, I almost forgot... as a child I regularly ate my family's holiday favorite entree, hog maw (Pennsylvania Dutch style).

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i never knew it was called "offal", i had to look that word up...

i like menudo a lot. i like chicken feet, rip into it! those are both big in mexico.
    i had a cow brain sandwich, it was really good. i had dog meat, that freaked a lot of my friends out more than anything else.. that was the worst for a lot of people that i know. it was very good.
    i have had liver and eyes and bull testicles and things too.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i never knew it was called "offal", i had to look that word up...

i like menudo a lot. i like chicken feet, rip into it! those are both big in mexico.
    i had a cow brain sandwich, it was really good. i had dog meat, that freaked a lot of my friends out more than anything else.. that was the worst for a lot of people that i know. it was very good.
    i have had liver and eyes and bull testicles and things too.
    I'm not too sure why eating dogs freaks people out so much, I think I'd be worried about eating a cow brain, only because of BSE/CJD

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I've got to say that I love Haggis, Black Pudding and some of the other UK recipes which I know outsiders would consider offal eating, I've even heard US citizens bawlk at the idea of steak and kidney pie, describing that as offal eating.

What is your reaction to this? Would you eat any of these recipes or do you know of any others? I've never tried sheeps eyes, bulls heart, pig's head or trotters but I'd not be totally opposed to the idea, I'm a bit of food adventurer besides asian Bant (spelling) I think I'd try anything.

I know that some vegetarians are bemused at the "I'll eat this but not this" or will remind people that mass produced pies and burgers are often made with reclaimed meat or beef connective tissue anyway but that's not exactly what I'm talking about.

I really love haggis, blood food, kidney pies and stuff like that.
    We've got a few sorts of blood food in Sweden. It's all awesome.
    "Blodpudding" is essentially our version of black pudding.
    Also a thing called "Blodpalt" made with flour, eggs, salt and lots of blood, either from reindeer or cow.
    They mold it into fist-sized balls and boil it. Tastes really awesome with some butter.

Down south, they eat a thing called "svartsoppa", which means black soup.
    It's made out of lots of blood, broth, vinegar, clove, wine, cognac, ginger, syrup and pepper.
    I'd like to think that it resembles the melas zomos (black soup) eaten by the spartans, made out of blood, broth and vinegar.
    Too bad no real recipe of that particular soup survives to this day.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I've enjoyed Haggis!

And I've had Pho` with all the jiggly bits in it.