• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Palomar 2, north ascent (massive photo share)

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I went on my 2nd backpacking trip last weekend, and hiked up Palomar mountain again. I went a little stronger, more prepared, and lighter on weight. I was able to stay 2 nights at my favorite campsite on the mountain before completing the climb back down from an intimidating 6,000 feet (total elevation gain of about 5,000). Better believe I brought a pair of knee braces for that one ;). The hike up and down was a 90+ F scorcher, leaving me battling with heat exhaustion for a good portion of the trip. But unlike last time, this path up actually had significant spots of shade, which makes such a huuuuge difference. Thanks to that, I was able to complete the 13 mile climb up in 8 hours, and down in 6 hours.

My downhill speed was also aided by a party of hikers I ran into, who had all kinds of stories about their own backpacking adventures. There was one 80 year old woman who looked like she was about 50, and more fit than a vast majority of 20 somethings. She makes the hike up to 6,000 feet TWICE every weekend :/. Don't know how she does it, I was amazed. Having others there inspired me to keep my pace up, and I made really good time going down, though I was clearly at the end of my rope due to the hell's inferno I met towards the bottom of the mountain x_x.

It was an awesome trip and a great adventure. Now I'm looking forward to climbing the next highest peak, San Jacinto. 10~12,000 feet of mountain.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Interesting photos! I've never seen one of those huge pine cones. I like that the fire pit is sunk into the ground. In many places around here, the fire pits are annoying metal rings sitting on the ground and sticking up 12 inches. Amazing about that 80 year old who hikes that twice in a weekend! :huh:

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Interesting photos! I've never seen one of those huge pine cones.

Huge pine cones from the absolutely huge pines they have up there are as big as my head, lol. You're not supposed to take any, but I was about to until I joined up with those other hikers on the way down...

I like that the fire pit is sunk into the ground. In many places around here, the fire pits are annoying metal rings sitting on the ground and sticking up 12 inches. :

Yea, the sunken fire pits are safer in terms of keeping the fire at bay. In CA, that is the big issue of course.

And while I'm, on the subject of fire, those little solid fuel cubes suck ass. They SUCK. They're difficult as fuck to get burning, for not a lot of payoff. I've found using alcohol and hand sanitizer to be very effective in getting a large fire going quickly with nothing else but natural wood and kindling, plus a lighter. Making a little flame wick with a torn piece of cotton and hand sanitizer is probably superior to using one of those solid fuel cubes.

On my next camping trip I hope to practice some more primitive fire making techniques.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Huge pine cones from the absolutely huge pines they have up there are as big as my head, lol. You're not supposed to take any, but I was about to until I joined up with those other hikers on the way down...
Now you're going to need a larger pack! :D

And while I'm, on the subject of fire, those little solid fuel cubes suck ass. They SUCK. They're difficult as fuck to get burning, for not a lot of payoff. I've found using alcohol and hand sanitizer to be very effective in getting a large fire going quickly with nothing else but natural wood and kindling, plus a lighter. Making a little flame wick with a torn piece of cotton and hand sanitizer is probably superior to using one of those solid fuel cubes.
It's been a long time since I played with those. I think the trick is to partially shave a piece off so that it's thin and ignites easily, but burns down into the main piece. This is the same principle as making a fuzzstick:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=326RtScPADM"].[/YOUTUBE]

Cotton balls, when spread out, ignite very easily and will even catch sparks. They only burn for about 20 sec though. Knead some Vaseline into them like dough, and they'll burn for a few minutes to get the twigs for your fire going.

Also great is fatwood. You can buy this in the barbecue section of most stores, but it's basically just pieces of partially rotted pine stumps. Pine resin, sometimes found in blisters on the tree or on broken branches, is a great firestarter too.