• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Millions of peaches... Peaches for me....

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
So, I've just had MANY bushels of peaches dropped off at my apartment because my grandfather gets them for free at the orchard where he works. But I don't really have my peach recipes aside from peach pie. And my grandfather asked me to try to make my pineapple upside-down cake with peaches instead.

Anyone have any other good peach-inspired recipes?

Bonus points if anyone has some that are diabetic-friendly. I have a few people I occasionally make desserts for who are diabetic.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always slice them and freeze them, when I want to eat them I half thaw them and eat them as a sort of whole fruit sorbet of some sort... delicious :drool:

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I always slice them and freeze them, when I want to eat them I half thaw them and eat them as a sort of whole fruit sorbet of some sort... delicious :drool:

I actually went through the process of canning half of them. I have like 40 jars of peach halves sitting in my kitchen now. I could freeze some for fruit smoothies. I do make a lot of smoothies. Good plan.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I've had a glut of fresh peaches from the tree outside over the last few weeks, far more than I or anyone else around can eat just as they are before they go bad in this damp weather (well, unless you have a fondness for icky stomach complaints which personally I don't). I haven't figured out a good alternative way to dispose of them yet though. Mind you, cooking desserts isn't really my thing. I do know they're very good for jam or chutney; and can be used in a similar way to apricots for some cooked dishes like tarts (normally you'd just eat peaches fresh of course!).

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Gotta love free fruit! I could really go for some free/picked without permission oranges from the orange groves right about now :p. Sooo much tastier than store bought stuff.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
we loooooove peaches in my family. Peach flavour is excellent with chicken, so try googling for recipes calling for both if that intrigues you. My mom used to make her own version of this: Peach and Chicken Kabobs | WholeFoodsMarket.com she also threw bell peppers into the mix, and went with teriyaki glaze instead of a chipotle one but i'd imagine it'd be just as good.

My dad also made a peach sriracha that he'd coat chicken in before throwing it on the BBQ. i don't know his exact recipe but if you google that you'll find a wide variety of recipes that might suit your tastes.

for something more simple if you like oatmeal or cream of wheat, just slice 'em up and throw them in there. mmmm.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
Peach Cobbler

its a really simple but good recipe, Also, Kudos on the Presidents of the United States of America reference :hug:

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Spiced peaches.

Yum.

Would go great with ice cream, in my opinion. Sounds good for Fall weather.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You can candy them by cutting them in half and putting them in a casserole pan with sugar and butter and putting them in the oven. Well, not really "candy," more caramelized, but you know what I mean.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I. LOVEEE. canned peaches.

in fact , I just bought some from the grocery store!!! :laugh:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Peach Galette - OMG one of the best things to do with peaches. Easy and delicious.

1 large sheet of puff pastry, defrosted
3-4 medium-sized peaches
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll out puff pastry briefly, just until it is about 1/8-inch thick. Transfer to parchment paper.
Cut peaches in half, remove pits and cut into 1/3 to 1/2-inch thick slices. No need to remove the skins from the fruit. Pile cut peaches into the center of the puff pastry and fold about 1-inch of the puff pastry sides over the edges of the peaches. Sprinkle the peaches and the exposed “crust” evenly with sugar.
Bake for about 25 minutes, or until galette is golden brown.

Serves 6-8

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I can accept peaches via USPS if you need to be rid of some :p .

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i love bellinis.
my all time favourite drink.

bellini.jpg

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Dude... I cant find a single good peach this year :(. They're all unripe and hard. The few softer ones I find are usually just going bad and not sweet at all. It really sucks, peaches are supposed to be soft, sweet, and succulent, not pseudo-apples in texture :/ .

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Whenever I have spare fruit I need to use up, I make a puff pancake and turn the fruit into compote to drizzle over top. You can cook down quite a lot of fruit into a compote.

Puff pancake:

4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup all purpose flour
dash or two of your favorite spice- I use pumpkin pie mix
capful vanilla extract
dash of salt
hunk of butter

Preheat your oven to 450. Heat a skillet on the stovetop and melt the butter in it. Make sure the butter goes all over, up the sides of the pan too. Mix all the other ingredients together (you could peel and chop some peaches to add into the pancake itself here too) and pour into the skillet. Stick in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes, lower to 350, cook for 10 more minutes. When I turn down the heat I usually poke the pancake with a fork all over to make it deflate. It's cool to watch it puff up but if you deflate it at this point it will actually be more delicious when you eat it.

While the pancake is cooking, melt some butter in a saucepan and add sugar and an assload of peaches, peeled and diced up to about the size of the tip of your pinky finger. Simmer the hell out of it until it is like a chunky syrup. I can't really tell you how much of each ingredient to use, because I just wing it, but you can always add more of something as it cooks if you taste it and it's not right. I would fill the pan with peaches though. If you have too much compote you can just save it for regular pancakes or waffles another day.

Take the pancake out after it's done, pour some of the compote over half of it and fold the other half over like an omelette. Pour more compote on top. Eat. To me, this dish is even better after it cools and reheats. It would be easy to modify for a diabetic by using sugar substitute in the compote- I use xylitol most of the time anyway instead of sugar, which tastes exactly like it and is diabetic-friendly. It's pricey though.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Oh my god its amazing having a grandfather that drives trucks for orchards.

I just got two giant bushels of apples dropped off. Some Green Delicious and Honeycrisp.

Now what do I do with all these fucking apples! Time for some apple crisp....