Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Default Recipes With Delicious BEANS!!

I'm really getting into beans as another option as a protein source. Not going vegetarian/vegan and will not be, but I'm wanting to cut back a lot on meals with animal protein (spacing them out, if you will).

I'm getting tired of hummus and just tossing garbanzos or red kidney beans into salads. I've done old fashioned Dutch-Oven baked beans which were severely awesome, but I've been wanting more interesting things. I'm looking all over the net and have printed a few new recipes but thought I'd ask you peeps what your favorites are (lovely Tallulah seemed to have some sort of awesome looking recipe for a garbanzo salad thingy, and I was like "Nom! ")

So what are your favorite bean recipes? I'm hoping for recipes without peppers of any kind because I am allergic and a lot of the ones I've seen online have peppers (so difficult to find lean, healthy recipes that don't incorporate peppers as their primary source for flavor).

Thanks in advance!!!

*is excited about beans*
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

I make a bean salad most weeks.

2 regular cans of tri-blend beans (garbonzo, black, and kidney)
    1 small can of mexi-corn
    a little bit of each of the following:
    olive oil
    lemon juice
    lime juice
    salt
    pepper
    garlic powder (I usually put plenty of this in)
    crushed red pepper
    onion powder
    oregano

Usually I'll add some feta cheese and make a burrito out of it.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Ham hocks and Beans <3 My favorite.

- one 15 bean soup bag from the grocery store (or pinto beans or any beans really.)
    - 1 package of ham hocks (or any leftover meats honestly: ham, pork, chicken, sausage... or even raw meats not cooked yet.)
    - 1 can soup (chicken broth or french onion soup are my favorites)
    - Flour, breads, cheese, and spices.

It's easy, but long. I usually make this a day in advance.

It's really a catch-all meal. turn the sink on as hot as you can and pour the beans into the crock pot. Put the hot sink water into the crock pot, filling it almost an inch above the beans. Add whatever spices you want to the mix (Usually for me its a mix of lemon pepper, cajun, etc.) Put the lid on, don't turn on the crock pot, just let them soak for a few hours. (I usually do this right before I cook and eat dinner.)

Just before I go to bed, I turn the crock pot on, and I add to the pot the broth or soup and meat. I let it cook on low all night.

The next day, in the morning, I rotate any meat so that the bottom of it is on top and give everything a good stirring. If it's too watery for your liking, you can always do one of three things: sprinkle in a bit of flour and stir well, add shredded pieces of bread and stir well, or do what I do: rob the juices from the crock pot for the final addition. If you find it to be too thick for your liking, you can always add more warm water or broth.

I put the crockpot on the "keep warm" setting after lunch, and about an hour before dinner I cook the rice.

How Kyu cooks rice:
    - Broth or soup
    - Rice
    - Mushrooms
    - Juices from the crock pot

Get 1 part rice (I usually cook a cup and a half.) Wash the rice in cool water several times until the strarches are somewhat washed from it. Then fill it with water and let sit for 30 minutes. Drain, and put 1 part mixture of juices and soup or broth (so it's a 1to1 ratio rice and liquids) into the rice cooker. Add mushrooms, swirl around, and cook until done.

Serve the beans over the rice and add cheese, hot sauce, etc. and enjoy.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Take some vegetarian refried beans, drain a can of spinach well, mix together and heat...throw in some mild cheese like montery jack or mozzarella and melt ...a little salt if you want....it's soooo good, tastes kind of like panak paneer (sp?). I eat it sometimes by itself, but you could also eat it with tortillas if you wanted.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

we have rice and beans all the time here, rice&beans is probably our number one food in Belize.

just boil red beans in coconut milk (and a little salt) until they are tender,
    then throw in rice, cover it, and let it cook on low until the rice is soft/done. super easy.

that is Belize style rice and beans. we just do that, and then add a million different things on top of it.
    and there is a difference between 'rice and beans' and 'beans and rice'.
    i will have to think of actual bean recipes......

MBTI
    INFP

500g bacon
    375ml tin of 4 bean mix
    1 defibrillator

1. Cut up bacon
    2. Start frying bacon
    3. Add tin of beans
    4. (optional) Add more bacon
    5. Fry until nicely browned
    6. Add salt/pepper to taste
    7. Enjoy

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Oops, never mind -- you said no peppers!

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

I didn't think I'd get any responses!

These suggestions sound delicious, will be printing. Thank you so much guys!
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Oberon

How 'bout the good old-fashioned bean burrito? Add shredded cheese and grilled onions. Awesome.

Here's a pic of one served mojado with cheese and red sauce:

Oberon

Ever had vegetarian seven-bean soup?

Then there's pasta e fagiole, or as it's called in New Jersey, pasta fazoola:

This pic has meat, but it wouldn't be hard to omit. I'd substitute chunks of eggplant pan-fried in olive oil if it were me.