• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Recipes With Delicious BEANS!!

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm really getting into beans as another option as a protein source. Not going vegetarian/vegan and will not be, but I'm wanting to cut back a lot on meals with animal protein (spacing them out, if you will).

I'm getting tired of hummus and just tossing garbanzos or red kidney beans into salads. I've done old fashioned Dutch-Oven baked beans which were severely awesome, but I've been wanting more interesting things. I'm looking all over the net and have printed a few new recipes but thought I'd ask you peeps what your favorites are (lovely Tallulah seemed to have some sort of awesome looking recipe for a garbanzo salad thingy, and I was like "Nom! :D")

So what are your favorite bean recipes? I'm hoping for recipes without peppers of any kind because I am allergic and a lot of the ones I've seen online have peppers (so difficult to find lean, healthy recipes that don't incorporate peppers as their primary source for flavor).

Thanks in advance!!!

*is excited about beans*

Beorn

Permabanned
I make a bean salad most weeks.

2 regular cans of tri-blend beans (garbonzo, black, and kidney)
1 small can of mexi-corn
a little bit of each of the following:
olive oil
lemon juice
lime juice
salt
pepper
garlic powder (I usually put plenty of this in)
crushed red pepper
onion powder
oregano

Usually I'll add some feta cheese and make a burrito out of it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Ham hocks and Beans <3 My favorite.

- one 15 bean soup bag from the grocery store (or pinto beans or any beans really.)
- 1 package of ham hocks (or any leftover meats honestly: ham, pork, chicken, sausage... or even raw meats not cooked yet.)
- 1 can soup (chicken broth or french onion soup are my favorites)
- Flour, breads, cheese, and spices.

It's easy, but long. I usually make this a day in advance.

It's really a catch-all meal. turn the sink on as hot as you can and pour the beans into the crock pot. Put the hot sink water into the crock pot, filling it almost an inch above the beans. Add whatever spices you want to the mix (Usually for me its a mix of lemon pepper, cajun, etc.) Put the lid on, don't turn on the crock pot, just let them soak for a few hours. (I usually do this right before I cook and eat dinner.)

Just before I go to bed, I turn the crock pot on, and I add to the pot the broth or soup and meat. I let it cook on low all night.

The next day, in the morning, I rotate any meat so that the bottom of it is on top and give everything a good stirring. If it's too watery for your liking, you can always do one of three things: sprinkle in a bit of flour and stir well, add shredded pieces of bread and stir well, or do what I do: rob the juices from the crock pot for the final addition. If you find it to be too thick for your liking, you can always add more warm water or broth.

I put the crockpot on the "keep warm" setting after lunch, and about an hour before dinner I cook the rice.

How Kyu cooks rice:
- Broth or soup
- Rice
- Mushrooms
- Juices from the crock pot

Get 1 part rice (I usually cook a cup and a half.) Wash the rice in cool water several times until the strarches are somewhat washed from it. Then fill it with water and let sit for 30 minutes. Drain, and put 1 part mixture of juices and soup or broth (so it's a 1to1 ratio rice and liquids) into the rice cooker. Add mushrooms, swirl around, and cook until done.

Serve the beans over the rice :D and add cheese, hot sauce, etc. and enjoy.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Take some vegetarian refried beans, drain a can of spinach well, mix together and heat...throw in some mild cheese like montery jack or mozzarella and melt ...a little salt if you want....it's soooo good, tastes kind of like panak paneer (sp?). I eat it sometimes by itself, but you could also eat it with tortillas if you wanted.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
we have rice and beans all the time here, rice&beans is probably our number one food in Belize.

just boil red beans in coconut milk (and a little salt) until they are tender,
then throw in rice, cover it, and let it cook on low until the rice is soft/done. super easy.

that is Belize style rice and beans. we just do that, and then add a million different things on top of it.
and there is a difference between 'rice and beans' and 'beans and rice'. ;)
i will have to think of actual bean recipes......

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
500g bacon
375ml tin of 4 bean mix
1 defibrillator

1. Cut up bacon
2. Start frying bacon
3. Add tin of beans
4. (optional) Add more bacon
5. Fry until nicely browned
6. Add salt/pepper to taste
7. Enjoy

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oops, never mind -- you said no peppers!

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I didn't think I'd get any responses!

These suggestions sound delicious, will be printing. Thank you so much guys! :wubbie:

O

Oberon

How 'bout the good old-fashioned bean burrito? Add shredded cheese and grilled onions. Awesome. :D

Here's a pic of one served mojado with cheese and red sauce:

tumblr_l0opjjQJer1qadsgso1_500.jpg

O

Oberon

Ever had vegetarian seven-bean soup?

428001.jpg

Then there's pasta e fagiole, or as it's called in New Jersey, pasta fazoola:

501491008_a636f7f866.jpg

This pic has meat, but it wouldn't be hard to omit. I'd substitute chunks of eggplant pan-fried in olive oil if it were me. :D

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
A simple method i often use is to mix pinto beans and black eye peas equally, and cook them with salt pork, garlic powder, green onions, and a little bit of brown sugar. Simple but as delicious as it gets, especially with cornbread (which i often like to crumble into a bowl of beans).

Then you could do kidney beans with garlic powder, onion powder, ginger, a bit of sugar, fennel (or anise), and salt pork. Onion powder can of course be subbed for fresh onions.

This recipe looks pretty good too:

New Recipe: Kidney Beans with Yams and Coconut Milk | Aparna Khanolkar

wolfy

awsm
I like baked beans on toast. You can't go past baked beans on toast.

Here is the recipe...

1. One can of Watties baked beans
  2. Bread
  • Heat baked beans
  • Toast bread
  • Pour baked beans on toast