Thread: Groceries

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Default Groceries

How much do you spend per week and how many in your household?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INtP

Hmm... I don't really keep track or anything, but I'd say $65 a week. Not counting going out to lunch once or twice a week. Just me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Including home provisions, to feed a family of four for us, it's about 100$ a week, give or take. Sometimes things add up and we need more than that (Omg, the dog food is out, we're out of paper towels and toilet paper, we happen to need more shampoo and there's a lamp on sale.) but I can normally get by with 100$ a week. I should mention that I consider water room/cleaning necessities in with grocery bills, since we get all that at the same location.

I do "no spend" days.. so whenever I buy groceries, immediately we claim the next day is a no-spending day.. so unless it's an emergency, we don't buy anything the next day. It keeps us on budget and forces us to plan everything out in advance.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Holy crap! Kelric & kyuuei, that's awesome! I'm not telling what I spend until someone else comes close!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

A couple hundred a week, give or take. That includes paper and cleaning products, toiletry items, pet food, etc. There are seven of us.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Jen: It's not so awesome, but I don't have much of a choice in the matter either. I wish I could spend more on better foods, but we work with what we've got and we're satisfied, which is all you really need to be with food. The main thing is to identify what you can't live without eating.. then work around the rest.

Cafe: At first when I read that I was like "omg rly?!" but with 7 to feed, that's about what my parents spent back when there were more of us in the house.. we had 8 mouths to feed everyday for quite a while.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Including beer & toiletries, $60-80/wk.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Cafe: At first when I read that I was like "omg rly?!" but with 7 to feed, that's about what my parents spent back when there were more of us in the house.. we had 8 mouths to feed everyday for quite a while.
    We use paper plates and a decent amount of convenience food because it's difficult to find anything besides chicken nuggets that everybody will eat, especially with autistics in the house. We've also found that if we don't keep some easy stuff on hand, we eat out more and expensive food at home is still usually cheaper than cheap food eaten out. And Don takes a lunch and several sodas with him to work most days.

We keep most of our other expenses low, so food ends up being our single largest monthly expense.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Unhealthy mood:
    About $750 a month

Healthy mood:
    About $450 a month

This includes cigarettes / food / beverages (non-alcoholic).
    For one person ; me.

When I'm on my lows, I eat less, and drink more (chocolate milk, ice coffee, energy drinks, etc). And only eat microwaved/junkfood.
    On my highs, I eat more and drink less. Eat a lot of bread, fruit, and I cook my own food. And drink orange/pineapple juice.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    How much do you spend per week and how many in your household?
    About 160$ per week. (Used an online currency converter. 1200 SEK.)
    I'm alone in my household, but I have a cooking interest.
    Sometimes I spend more, sometimes less.
    Depending on what type of ingredients are needed.

Edit: as I saw in the post above, I wanted to state that this does not include cigarettes, eating out or such.

Apart from a period (6 months) of actual poverty when I got scammed back in 2008 working in Norway, I haven't eaten boring food since I moved to my first apartment.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come