User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Groceries

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

We spend about $100 to $120 a week for 3 people and every other weekend that the grandboys are here. We don't buy a lot of junk but I am a hoarder of food for the times I can't afford to go to the store so I have a bit extra on hand to tide us over.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I honestly don't keep track of what I spend on groceries. I think its in the reasonable range because I'm always able to pay to bills. I live alone and find that grocery shopping isn't always single person friendly. I just want a few slices of bread, not a whole loaf. Otherwise, it will go moldy and to waste. The best deals on things seem to be the family size stuff which is way more than I possibly want. Luckily I have family close by and I end up sending some food with them.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I can't imagine $750 a month for groceries.. Imagine all the awesome things I could cook with that sort of money for my family. Where's that swooning emoticon..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I can't imagine $750 a month for groceries.. Imagine all the awesome things I could cook with that sort of money for my family. Where's that swooning emoticon..
    I don't use money on anything else. Just the little things. If I want a cookie, I'll buy it. I don't need money for a new car, apartment, stereo, etc. I look very poor, but I live rich, well, when it comes to food. Besides, this is Norway, everything is expensive. I can live for three months in the US on one Norwegian paycheck because the US = Third World Country :x j/k

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Thanks for sharing everyone

Here's my thing. I don't want to spend a lot on groceries. I'd rather save the extra money for something that we as a family can enjoy. I don't eat junk food anymore, that includes soda so that should cut our bill down considerably. I'm wondering if shopping at Sam's club (or similar) is more efficient? I've read that if you just stick to what you need, you'll be OK.

I am trying to become more environmentally friendly and found How much are you spending on groceries? - EnviroMom site. Appearently there is a woman in Oregon that gives workshops on how to slash your grocery bill in half of course I'd have to fly there and pay whatever she charges to take the seminar.

I have a friend with 7 people in her household. I haven't asked her yet what they spend on groceries, but she is amazing with coupons. She has an organized coupon book and I'd be surprised if she spent over $150 a week for a family of 7. I'm going to pick her brain today.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

If you're actually able to make use of the larger sizes of the products Sam's Club sells, you can definitely save money. I've got a membership and it has helped me cut down my grocery bill by about 20-25% (from ~$400 to around $300 per month). I could probably cut it down more, but I've used some of the savings to buy more meat than I did before.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Oberon

We spend between $500 and $600 per month for a family of six, including two teenagers and a ten-year-old.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If you're actually able to make use of the larger sizes of the products Sam's Club sells, you can definitely save money.
    ...but only if you had been previously buying name brands, or not shopping the sales. My penny-pinching wife has been to Sam's, and she's not impressed.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    ...but only if you had been previously buying name brands, or not shopping the sales. My penny-pinching wife has been to Sam's, and she's not impressed.
    Not true. The price Sam's Club has on its meat and produce is lower than any supermarket around here, with one exception. The supermarkets drop the prices to Sam's Club levels on food that's about to expire. Take boneless chicken for example. Sam's Club usually sells that for $1.97/lb where I live. The supermarkets sell the same meat for ~$3.99/lb (when it first reaches the store), then slowly drops the price as time passes. Right before expiration, the supermarkets finally meet (or come close to meeting) Sam's price.

With items like potatoes, the price isn't even close (~$5/15lbs at Sam's vs $3.49/5lbs at the cheapest supermarket).

I don't buy name brand anything.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It can vary a lot for me, between 150 and 300 a month depending on if I'm stocking up on nonperishables, what's on sale and how much I feel like splurging (mostly cheese or pastries). Usually 200 or so, so 50$ a week as a very rough average. If I had unlimited money ever (ha!) I'd probably spend 300-400 a month, mostly on things like nice cheeses and organic stuff and good quality meat and such. Not counting toiletries, alcohol or eating out (none of which I spend much on).

I'd call myself a 1.5 person household since I'm the one who cooks and I buy the food for "real meals" except I don't really buy meat much so he buys it if he wants it - but we buy food separately so he buys snacks, breakfast foods and whatever else he wants.

Of course, the comparison isn't really all that relevant until you know what that money buys. Prices can be very different in different regions/countries.
    -end of thread-