User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Water and meditation. My friend nows a guy that survives on that apparently....

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Being broke is the best time to start properly hydrating yourself. I think I was better hydrated when I was broke than when I was in the desert working!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

You need:
    Rotisserie chicken ($4-$8; I go for them on sale at Publix)
    Onion
    Butter or margarine

Day 1: Get a rotisserie chicken. Eat chicken and whatever side dish you want. I go for steamed veggies or mashed potatoes. Strip remaining chicken meat from bone.

Day 2-?: Boil chicken bones and skin in a big pot of water. After a while, strain bones and skin and throw away. The rotisserie seasoning helps make a kick-ass broth. Add a chopped onion to the broth. Boil forever. Add your remaining chopped chicken meat. Also add butter or margarine - the recipe calls for a stick, but go with what you want. Then chop up a bunch of flour tortillas into dumpling-sized pieces. Dredge them in flour. Add to the pot. The tortillas will plump up and turn into makeshift dumplings. Season with pepper. You have a big pot of decent chicken and dumpling soup with, like, no real work.

This makes a bunch of food for very little money.

I... suppose. Yeah!

figsfiggyfigs

Chopped zucchini, stir-fried in sesame oil, soy sauce, and garlic.
    I like it with plain yogurt.
    I know, i'm weird. :P

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Thank you, FMW, for reminding me to include Bologna Wednesday ($5!) in this thread.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    GONE

Good suggestions. I don't like cooking with meat and am not a hue carnivore with the exception of eggs. I cook pretty cheaply and quickly mostly for convenience but also for health. My go to recipes : rice or noodles for start and frozen veggies and eggs. Avocado is a splurge buts adds much.

Ill often add yolky egg to rice with dried seaweed or furikake or make asian noodles and toss with egg, seaweed and avocado. And some seasoning sauce. Delish.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Also, I drink a lot of tea with soy/milk and soymilk.

Toast with something creamy like Nutella or old-fashioned nut butte and milk are very satisfying and filling.

I just had a super quick, easy meal - tacos. A pack of small corn tortillas can be bought for a buck and some change and will last several meals for just 1. The taco fillings are rice, corn, beans and whatever else you wanna throw in. I add lots of spice for kick.

Here's my go to shopping list:

Staples
    Rice
    Beans
    Noodles
    Corn (frozen)
    Eggs
    Kale/Spinach (frozen)
    Soymilk
    Whole grain bread
    Sweet Potatoes
    Okra (fresh, I don't like the frozen kind)
    Avocado
    Cheese (light )
    Onions
    Apples
    Tofu
    Dumpling/potstickers (frozen)
    Coffee or Tea

I also shop like this because there is less chance of spoilage and there's a lot of versatility. If you don't mind limited variety, you can live on stir fries, omelettes, tacos, toast, and strange sandwiches (cheese + veggie = a melt). LOL. You can prep/cook all these meals in 15 minutes or less.

If you get even lazier than that, cans of low sodium soup cost about a buck each.

A really cheap "baked" dessert? Bananas dipped in pancake batter Or bananas wrapped in asian dumpling sheets and fried/sauteed.

Also - random but true cucumbers keep well and taste good in stirfries

I just realized how limited my cooking skills are. LOL.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i came up with this when there was nothing to eat but one big onion, garlic and dark spaghetti.

chop the onion and garlic(dont be afraid to over do this because its fried and wont taste bad even if there is much of it) and put them on a hot frying pan, let them get just a little bit softer, then add olive oil(i have some with basil in it and i think it really helped this to be delicious, maybe you could add little chopped basil with normal olive oil). heat them for a little, then add grill spice mix, some dried paprika(i have this smoked paprika also that really helped alot with the normal paprika), soy sauce and what ever spices you like. then just heat them until they are fried enough for your liking.

when i cook spaghetti i like to add some spices on the boiling water to give it just a hint more taste, i suggest you to do this also if you cook this, especially if you use normal spaghetti instead of dark.

it was so tasty that i have cooked this few times after, even tho i had other stuff to eat too
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

When I was virtually homeless...I ate rice. Lots and lots of rice and egg. Beans are good, so are lentils(lentils are super filling and cheap), with tomato pasta sauce and chilli. I refused to go dumpster diving, but a nice old greek man let me in on the fact his church gave out meals where you could get seconds and could save it for tea. It was actually pretty descent greek food. The old pensioners went there. The only embarrassing thing about it was the priest recognised from me one of the hospitals I used to work at. We used to catch each other smoking when I worked there. Also had a couple of friends who worked at Macca's who used grab some of the wasted food for me some times. If you can swallow your pride you won't starve. Mooching off people works too. Did lots of mooching. I pay and I will pay it forward.
    Oh and cheap ass two minute noodles. Better than nothing. They are like 40 cents a packet.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    Oh and cheap ass two minute noodles. Better than nothing. They are like 40 cents a packet.
    noodles

i was just making this when i read this:

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read