• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm fcking broke recipes

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
You need:
Rotisserie chicken ($4-$8; I go for them on sale at Publix)
Onion
Butter or margarine

Day 1: Get a rotisserie chicken. Eat chicken and whatever side dish you want. I go for steamed veggies or mashed potatoes. Strip remaining chicken meat from bone.

Day 2-?: Boil chicken bones and skin in a big pot of water. After a while, strain bones and skin and throw away. The rotisserie seasoning helps make a kick-ass broth. Add a chopped onion to the broth. Boil forever. Add your remaining chopped chicken meat. Also add butter or margarine - the recipe calls for a stick, but go with what you want. Then chop up a bunch of flour tortillas into dumpling-sized pieces. Dredge them in flour. Add to the pot. The tortillas will plump up and turn into makeshift dumplings. Season with pepper. You have a big pot of decent chicken and dumpling soup with, like, no real work.

This makes a bunch of food for very little money.

thanks for reminding me of this.....

I'm sick so I want chicken soup with baby tortellini, and you just reminded me how simply I could make it and get it so thank you :)

broth, tortellini and Parmesan cheese mmmmmmm can hardly wait

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know, I work at a Kosher market and we can get fresh herbs there for HELLA cheap...much cheaper than some mainstream grocery stores (I'm talking about 33 cents, 80 cents, that sort of thing)...and they come in big huge bunches, so I had enough dill and parsley to last me for well over a week (you can keep it somewhat fresh by wrapping it in a wet paper towel and putting it in a plastic bag) and potatoes are pretty cheap. You'd even be surprised at how cheaply you can obtain carrots (whole carrots, not the peeled baby kind) and a couple of lemons.

Anyway, boiling potatoes with the skin on with dill and peeled carrots, then making a salad out of the Italian parsley and adding a bit more dill, putting the boiled potatoes and carrots on top, then dousing it all in lemon juice and olive oil (or butter or margerine if that's cheaper for you) is filling and very nutritious. Lots of poor people have survived off of potatoes for centuries.

Black Phoenix

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Go to a local plaza, throw some bread crumbs around, wait for the pigeons....

Or for a really cheap and tasty and fast meal, buy some canned or powder cream soup, and, when eating it, add whatever the soup is made of (corn soup, add corn, Vegetable soup, add sauteed greens, etc.)

Also ----> Cheap Eats

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am posting here to subscribe to this thread, and also to say that, speaking as a broke college kid, this is the best freaking thread that has ever existed here. I swear to God.

*begins to write every post down in a recipe book*

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Subscribed. :D

*Apparently, EJCC & I are in the same boat/have the same mind.

Dyoni

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
In college, I learned that any tiny amount of leftovers can be made into a meal if it's served on toast. haha

I agree with the other posters that rice, beans, and oatmeal will get you through some tough times.

Other things I did in college to save money on food:

- Find events that give food away for free. There's a ton around campuses, religious events, etc. You can almost always just walk into these events and make yourself a plate without anyone questioning you. Just smile and act like you belong there.

- Go to every party you're invited to and eat their food

- Go to supermarkets that give free samples. Hell, I still do this at Whole Foods at lunchtime. Last time I went, I got half a piece of pizza, a slice of cheese quesadilla, sample of some other salad in the case, a bit of pie, some cheese samples, and a few chips with salsa. It's like a whole free lunch.

- Farmer's markets are sometimes good deals if you are very picky. They also will give you a ton of free samples of things. Some of the booths I visit will have 'past prime' baskets in the corner with apples with a bruise or slightly wilted lettuce. I always buy that stuff - not only is it still good, but you're helping to reduce food waste.