• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Abandoning a house

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I live in an average suburban neighborhood in a large city with my wife and four young kids. This is our first house, and when we moved here 13 years ago, the neighborhood was surrounded by rural elements such as farms, cows, and horses. Now, we're surrounded by other neighborhoods, including some apartments not too far away which are government-subsidized.

In the past few years, the following activities and changes have occurred:

• Police response and attention is limited due to being a large city police force faced with budget cuts.
  • Several registered sex offenders have moved in.
  • A large group of young males beat another young male, probably because they wouldn't move out of the middle of the subdivision street when he was driving (speculation).
  • Signs of gang activity have been observed and reported by the police.
  • There is at least one house in the neighborhood dealing drugs.
  • In the small area of city-owned woods behind our house (no sane person would attempt to hunt or target shoot here with houses so close and within the city limits), another neighbor saw a male with a shotgun, which he had discarded by the time police arrived.
  • Several neighbors have reported people hanging out/scoping out their house from the street. One of these people verbally and suggestively engaged a female babysitter, and when she went inside, he persisted in knocking on the door and yelling at her. This was three houses down the street from me.

I know that no neighborhood is perfect, and that where there are people, there will also be bad people, but this is getting out of hand. We knew this was coming eventually. We tried and failed to sell 5 years ago. I really fear for the safety of my family when I'm not home. We put our house up for sale this week. No one has come to look at it, despite this being the first weekend of it being listed. When we tried to sell 5 years ago under better real estate conditions, we had at least two people looking the first weekend.

I'm starting to consider the possibility of just moving out and accepting the financial consequences of options such as:

Bank short sale
Foreclosure
Deed in lieu of foreclosure

I hate to screw up our credit and make getting another house with a reasonable interest rate loan impossible within the next few years, but physical safety is a much higher priority than financial bliss.

Any thoughts or insights are welcome. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Do you know anyone who has?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
dude, i feel bad no ones replying, so that's what i'm doing, but to be honest I don't know.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can you rent the house out?! Don't ruin your credit!!!!! :(

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I wish I had some useful advice to offer. I've thought about trying to sell my house (for different reasons), and I know that it's just a hard time to do that. But there are more important things than good credit ratings (although that issue can be mighty inconvenient).

If I read you right, the "bank short sale" option sounds like the best of the options you listed -- am I right in that you mean "sell for below market value as long as we can get it to sell, and deal with the money later"?

I hope that things work out for you guys... that's an unfortunate situation :(.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Several" sex offenders?! DUDE. Buy a shotgun first.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
dude, i feel bad no ones replying, so that's what i'm doing, but to be honest I don't know.
Thanks for the support. :)

Can you rent the house out?! Don't ruin your credit!!!!! :(
Hmm... renting might be an option. It took around a year for the people a few houses down to rent theirs out, and we can't afford risk or money-wise to wait that long. I'm not really interested in being a landlord, but that might be the lesser evil. Good idea, thanks! :)

I wish I had some useful advice to offer. I've thought about trying to sell my house (for different reasons), and I know that it's just a hard time to do that. But there are more important things than good credit ratings (although that issue can be mighty inconvenient).

If I read you right, the "bank short sale" option sounds like the best of the options you listed -- am I right in that you mean "sell for below market value as long as we can get it to sell, and deal with the money later"?

I hope that things work out for you guys... that's an unfortunate situation :(.
Thanks. :) Yes, that's basically what the short sale would be. It would throw away what equity we have, although it's probably an idealistic and mythical equity given the economy and our real estate market.

"Several" sex offenders?! DUDE. Buy a shotgun first.
Good advice. :) The ones who are registered were convicted of the types of offenses we can prevent. It's the ones who aren't known or registered who concern me. :thelook: For those, I was thinking of a rocket launcher, but a shotgun might make a good backup firearm. :D

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good advice. :) The ones who are registered were convicted of the types of offenses we can prevent. It's the ones who aren't known or registered who concern me. :thelook: For those, I was thinking of a rocket launcher, but a shotgun might make a good backup firearm. :D

How about a fully automatic shotgun that can launch mini grenades?
Auto Assault-12 (AA-12)
On YouTube