First 23456 Last

Thread: Cooking Flops

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I've only ever seen Pavlova when Nigella makes it on tv. Man, I want me some of that. It looks so delicious!

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

There was the one time when I wanted to make chocolate dipped strawberries, got the recipe on Cooks.com. and I followed the recipe for melted chocolate verbatim. The melted chocolate turned to the consistency of fudge brownies. The problem was that the recipe substituted butter for vegetable oil. Epic fail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

i used to try and make christmas fudge now and then. (Yes I know) I am a terrible cook and I never have right type of cooking tools.

As a result I have screwed up fudge in very way possible. But the very best fudge ever was when I cook mac n' cheese in a pot, but didnt do a good job cleaning the pot. When I took out it had a film of cheesy oil on the inside of the pot, but I forged ahead bravely.

It was awesome as none of the fudge crystallized, and it ended up being exceptionally creamy and delightful.

This much better than the time I poured oil in a hot pain and had 3 feet tall flames or the time I set my sister's stove on fire with one of those cardboard roll boxes....

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

My homemade alfredo sauces continue to turn out sub-par. : (
    They're more gloppy and thin than they are creamy, and upon reheating, it turns into a bowl of pasta sitting in a puddle of butter.
    I think I need change the butter to cream/cheese ratio... More cream.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Townsend View Post
    They're more gloppy and thin than they are creamy, and upon reheating, it turns into a bowl of pasta sitting in a puddle of butter.
    My alfredo turns out pretty good at the time... But yeah, if I try and reheat it's like noodles swimming in a buttery substance....

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    This much better than the time I poured oil in a hot pain and had 3 feet tall flames
    My roommate did this once. I was mad. How does that seem like a good idea? lol

Most of my cooking flops are easily summarized into "leaves kitchen while food cooks for (insert time >10 min), makes a mental note to check on pot in a few mins, gets distracted, comes back to burning smells, ruined food" no flames yet but I'm waiting
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Tried to make Tafelspitz ( boilet fillet of beef ? ) and was steam cooking it with only a bit of water. Later I figured the lid had a little opening to vent steam *lol*.

Went wrong badly in the kitchen there was black smoke and the fillet itself went dark black on the bottom :/
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Townsend View Post
    Fettucine Alfredo should never be reheated, there's no way to make it good...frankly, the dish only lasts a short while after it's made, so it should be served immediately. Try this recipe, it's simple and excellent. Has never failed me. You're right to suspect that you need more cream. Another tip is to use the best parmesan you can find. You don't need a lot of it, so even the good stuff (@$18/lb) should be affordable as a once in a while treat.

Fettucine Alfredo recipe from America's Test Kitchen
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    My roommate did this once. I was mad. How does that seem like a good idea? lol

Most of my cooking flops are easily summarized into "leaves kitchen while food cooks for (insert time >10 min), makes a mental note to check on pot in a few mins, gets distracted, comes back to burning smells, ruined food" no flames yet but I'm waiting
    Just don't do what this guy that lived in my old apartment complex did.... We woke up at 4 AM to about three fire trucks surrounding out apartment complex trying to put out a fire... The genius decided it'd be a good idea to come home drunk and cook a pizza... The only problem was he passed out in the process and the apartment caught fire... :steam:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Fettucine Alfredo should never be reheated, there's no way to make it good...frankly, the dish only lasts a short while after it's made, so it should be served immediately. Try this recipe, it's simple and excellent. Has never failed me. You're right to suspect that you need more cream. Another tip is to use the best parmesan you can find. You don't need a lot of it, so even the good stuff (@$18/lb) should be affordable as a once in a while treat.

Fettucine Alfredo recipe from America's Test Kitchen
    The stuff I get from restaurants usually stands up fairly well to reheating...
    Makes me wonder what they do differently.

I've seen a lot of alfredo sauce recipes that call for cream cheese to be added, but that just sounds horrible... >_>
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8