User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Cooking Flops

NPcomplete

I forgot the first moussaka I made. It should have been called béchamel sauce failure instead. Or even perhaps the-evening-I-temporarily-gave-away-my-brain incident.

Good thing, I am a better baker/cook now.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Nothing really significant yet.

When I tried making French toast for the first time, it took me about 4 or 5 tries before I got it right.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I've had a case of spoon cookie flops. Carefully formed and arranged dough ended up covering the whole pan when it came out of the oven. Nothing nifty moves with a knife wouldn't save though. The square cookies tasted great.
    Hahaha... that has happened to me with pancakes!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    the first time i made pavlova the meringue turned into a disgusting crusty soup. a pavlova for the uninitiated is a meringue that is stiff and crisp on the outside with soft fluffy insides topped with cream and fruit.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAGuy View Post
    A few weeks ago, I tried caramel bread. It was the first time I tried to make caramel myself, so I managed to burn it... then I went and burnt the bread, too. I'll try again, I'm sure...
    I just learned a ridiculously easy way to make caramel that's way less dangerous and subject to burning. Just take a few cans of sweetened condensed milk and put them in a pot totally submerged in water. Bring the water to a boil and then put the pot in the oven at 275 for 3.5 hours. The cans will keep indefinitely, and when you open them up the milk will have magically turned to caramel. Mmmm.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    the first time i made pavlova the meringue turned into a disgusting crusty soup. a pavlova for the uninitiated is a meringue that is stiff and crisp on the outside with soft fluffy insides topped with cream and fruit.

i've since learnt that you must add the sugar into the egg whites super slowly (a spoonful at a time) and then beat it like you mean it between adding spoonfuls of sugar. you can test whether you've beaten it thoroughly enough by rubbing a little bit of the mix between your thumb and finger - if it feels gritty, keep beating.

my first one did not look like this

Yeah, pavlova can be hard, good tip. Now I am wanting pavlova. My oven doesn't go low enough but I am going to find a way. I want pavlova, cream and kiwifruit, and I will have it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Nothing really significant yet.

When I tried making French toast for the first time, it took me about 4 or 5 tries before I got it right.
    Ugh... French Toast is my worst nightmare. I still haven't got it figured out. It's always a giant inedible mess by the time I'm done experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I just learned a ridiculously easy way to make caramel that's way less dangerous and subject to burning. Just take a few cans of sweetened condensed milk and put them in a pot totally submerged in water. Bring the water to a boil and then put the pot in the oven at 275 for 3.5 hours. The cans will keep indefinitely, and when you open them up the milk will have magically turned to caramel. Mmmm.
    I do not believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymbirleigh View Post
    Ugh... French Toast is my worst nightmare. I still haven't got it figured out. It's always a giant inedible mess by the time I'm done experimenting.
    Wait, how do you go about doing it?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Wait, how do you go about doing it?
    I watched some cooking show that made it look oh so easy... So I dug my bread out... I'm thinking maybe I should have used some thicker sliced bread or something... However, I went with the only bread I had... Dipped one side into the eggs and then threw it on the stove top (well, in a pan on the stovetop). I barely put it in and my egg mixture soaked all the way through the damn bread.

It's been about two years since I've attempted it, so I don't remember how hot I had everything... Or any real details...

TOO BAD. I wish you lived nearby then we could make it together. Believe it or not it's one of the first foods I ever learned to prepare.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    TOO BAD. I wish you lived nearby then we could make it together. Believe it or not it's one of the first foods I ever learned to prepare.
    Man, if that would have been my first I would have never returned to the kitchen! My mom couldn't keep me out of the kitchen when I was 10... No matter how many times she told me to leave the stove and oven alone I was determined I was going to fix my own meals after school.

Tee hee, I remember my first run in with making mashed potatoes... First I wasn't paying attention and half the water ended up boiling over on the stove... And then I didn't let it boil long enough so mashing the potatoes was one helluva task...