User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I'd like to see you cover 11 miles in 2.6 hours, with or without 40 pounds of gear, on a CONSTANT uphill gradient, in 90 degree weather... no.

Albeit it was quite a bit slower than I had anticipated, and will probably go faster next time, as I get stronger. But the higher you go in elevation the slower your pace becomes, inevitably.
    Not to mention- why rush? The point of hiking/backpacking (to me anyway) is not to break records or beat my best pace. It's to enjoy the outdoors and get away from normal everyday life. In fact, slowing down is part of the point.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    It was like 62 miles in 7 hours, and we didn't exactly stop to get a good look at the nature.
    In... how many hours? 72?

High:

Low:
    Lovin the scenery out there!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

PS Risen- I don't know if I've told you about steepandcheap.com yet but it is glorious. I check it constantly. You can get super deals on outdoorsy supplies there.

edit: right this very minute there is a godawful pink jacket up on there but don't let that turn you away! it's one deal at a time, until it sells out or the timer runs out (usually between 20 and 30 minutes).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Not to mention- why rush? The point of hiking/backpacking (to me anyway) is not to break records or beat my best pace. It's to enjoy the outdoors and get away from normal everyday life. In fact, slowing down is part of the point.
    Lol, I fully agree. I'd rather go slower and enjoy it more, but then again, it's also about the challenge for me. Also, getting to the top in a timely manner is rather imperative, as there are no places to get water on the way up, and (on that side of the mountain) no areas to set up camp til you get near the top anyway.

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    In... how many hours? 72?

Lovin the scenery out there!
    Oh, we walked 50 kilometers in 7 hours, which means, err, 31 miles, half of what I originally said. Sorry.

I'm pretty used to our nature over here so I have a thing for the southern states in the u.s., south america, africa and southern asia-- desert and tropics I suppose. I'd rather live like a lizard than an eskimo so to speak..

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Well, I usually descend very slowly to taste the scenery, after a quick ascent. Sometimes, it's better to ascend quickly when you're in the Alps (for example), because during the summer, early afternoon means rainy on mountain-tops. Also if you're alone you might end up having to sleep outside etc. etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well, I usually descend very slowly to taste the scenery, after a quick ascent. Sometimes, it's better to ascend quickly when you're in the Alps (for example), because during the summer, early afternoon means rainy on mountain-tops. Also if you're alone you might end up having to sleep outside etc. etc.
    I'll try to remember that if I'm ever fortunate enough to hike in the Alps!