User Tag List

First 12

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Awesome trip! You weren't worried about the bear being around your camp in the middle of the night? How high did you hang the food?

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Awesome trip! You weren't worried about the bear being around your camp in the middle of the night? How high did you hang the food?
    Thanks! I wasn't really worried about the bear. He seemed to be just passing through and stopping by out of natural curiosity. He seemed to have moved on after he saw me and I made human noises. If I had seen or heard him again, I would have been more concerned and keeping a lookout for him.

I was on a trip in my teens in the Smokies where there were bears everywhere due to a drought. (The bear population is very dense in the Smokies anyway.) They were hungry. One seemed to be somewhat following alongside us up the mountain at a distance of about 70 yards. We heard one fairly close to our tent that night. He was probably eating some of the food leftovers we had sloppily thrown out there--something I would never do now.

I hung the food from a branch which was about 15 ft high, with the bag being around 12 ft high. It was on a branch which barely supported the 3 lbs of food, so a bear could never climb out to get it.