User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

My cat is only 3 and I worry about her getting older and what I will feel when she dies. I would like to retire outside the US in 15 years, but I won't leave until after she passes, which to me is kind of a big decision to make based on a pet, but if it means I'm here another 20 years, then so be it (assuming I live that long!).

I try to make myself realize that my loved ones will die, too, trying to desensitize myself in my mind so it won't be so bad when it happens. It helped a little in the case of my grandfather. I know exactly what you mean about wishing something could last forever. I make what I think of as mental snapshots of those moments and keep them in my head to review whenever I miss them. So if doing that is crazy, at least you're not crazy all by yourself.

I've read several accounts of older kitties being mouthy and one friend's vet suggested, after ruling everything else out, that the cat was suffering some senile dementia, and that made sense to me. I don't know if it helps. For some reason, once it made sense to me, I was not so upset on my friend's behalf or so tortured by wondering what her cat wanted with all that howling.

I'm sorry for your losses. It's hard to let go sometimes so be gentle with yourself about it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

I'm going through this right now, too..or at least I was more a few months ago.

I have a 13 year old blue point siamese named Sophia. I've had her since i was in high school and we adopted her from an organization that rescued her from a cat mill. i brought her to college with me after my first year in the dorms and I've had her ever since.

For a while she was barely eating and had very low energy levels, even for an older cat. she had a seizure at one point and her vision became worse (Siamese already have pretty poor vision compared to other breeds of cats)..it was eating at me because i didn't and still don't know how I'm going to be able to handle her passing...i think it would really kill me inside. a lot of it has to do with the fact that she was abused for a majority of her life, i think. After this period was over, i decided that pretty soon i'm gonna get some of her little paw prints on paper to keep in case I decide to turn them into a memorial tattoo.

Reading toonia's post made me feel some very strong emotions and brought me to tears.

recently though, her appetite has grown considerably and she has a lot more energy or at least as much energy as a 13 y/o cat can have. It's settled my mind but it's really hard to not think about it from time to time...I just give her as much love as I can, because she had a rough 7 years of her life so it's my job to make sure that she spends more of her lifespan being a happy kitty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

We have two cats, both of whom are ten years old. One of them still races around in circles, chasing her tail. She also likes to steal my seat. As soon as I get up, she's taken my seat! She makes a lot of noise. It's sort of like singing. Well, I guess that it is singing. She likes to perform in mid-morning. I call it her mid morning meow session. She just wants attention. She is a bit of a diva.
    The other cat is a big, long haired male. He wants constant attention from humans. He likes to sit on laps and kiss people. Sometimes, he washes the other cat. She'll tolerate it for a little while and then she'll hiss at him!!! Or she'll chase him out of the room!!! The two like to play chase games.
    Unfortunately, the big boy likes to meow in the middle of the night! He goes on and on! Arrgh!
    The cats are middle aged now, but they are healthy and act young. I think that they will be around for quite some time.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

This is very timely for me because my dog's health is uncertain right now. He's at least 10 (we got him as an adult rescue 8 years ago and the vet said he was probably about 2-3 at that time) and a large breed, so he's pretty old anyway. But up until this year he pretty much still acted like a puppy. Lately he's been showing his age, and in the past two weeks has had some close calls. We're still not sure what's going on with him but he might have a nasal tumor.

He's my first dog. He's also really more my husband's dog than mine, but now that his health is in flux I'm finding out that I really do love the mutt.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

I'm getting teary-eyed reading all these. Not in a bad way though, I relate to all your feelings so much.

*massive pet loving hugs*
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

*hugs*

Sigh... My cat is going to be the death of me! Last night I had managed to convince myself that her health was fading even faster because she didn't eat much all day yesterday.... So I ended up with about four hours of sleep after crying myself to sleep. My poor fiance, all he can do right now is tell me he loves me and hold me. He doesn't know what else to say or do. It's fine. That's really all I need.... So I bawl my eyes out and wake up this morning to hear her bitching at my mom for food. When I come through she's already eaten half her food and then as I was leaving for work she had her face in the bowl eating the rest of it. I guess she's a lot stronger than I give her credit for!

please don't grow up so fast.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

When I took my cat to the vet, it was pretty cute. One woman looks over at us and says "Is she a kitten?" I kind of chuckled and said, "Far from it, she's in her 20s." The woman's jaw hit the ground. I think she assumed she was a kitten because of her size. She only weighs about 6 lbs. She's always been smaller than most cats.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Update... We put my oldest down yesterday. I know she's in a better place now... Hopefully she's met up with former furry buddies that passed before her. I'm sure they missed her.