MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Stilton perhaps?

This may seem random, but to me its so fascinating. Market Researcher Clotaire Rapaille investigated the difference in attitudes towards cheese by French people and Americans. The French do not put cheese in the refrigerator while most Americans do store cheese there. He concluded that at base people in France consider the cheese alive, Americans consider it dead. As in, belongs in a morgue. With this information companies developed a "body bag", the ubiquitous plastic pouch so many people buy their cheese in today.
    Uhm. That's weird. If you don't use the refrigerator, you have to buy only a small amount of cheese, otherwise it may become slightly rotten in 1-2 days. Seasoned cheeses might be an exception, yet they still need a temperature around 10°C, which is rather unusual indoors.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Mexican cheese is the bomb.com, anyone try Rachero Queso Fresco?

YES. Nomnomnomnom.

Stilton perhaps?

This may seem random, but to me its so fascinating. Market Researcher Clotaire Rapaille investigated the difference in attitudes towards cheese by French people and Americans. The French do not put cheese in the refrigerator while most Americans do store cheese there. He concluded that at base people in France consider the cheese alive, Americans consider it dead. As in, belongs in a morgue. With this information companies developed a "body bag", the ubiquitous plastic pouch so many people buy their cheese in today.
    That's interesting. I wonder how many other little differences Americans and Europeans have in food storage and preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Uhm. That's weird. If you don't use the refrigerator, you have to buy only a small amount of cheese, otherwise it may become slightly rotten in 1-2 days. Seasoned cheeses might be an exception, yet they still need a temperature around 10°C, which is rather unusual indoors.
    Right. The US is more squeamish about dairy generally. Raw milk cheeses are required by law to be aged over 60 days before being sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    YES. Nomnomnomnom.

That's interesting. I wonder how many other little differences Americans and Europeans have in food storage and preparation.
    Just off the top of my head from personal experience: some Europeans believe that very cold drinks are unhealthy and invite sickness.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Gorgonzola?

At last! A REAL cheese!

Not those plastic things that Anglo-Saxons pretentiously call "cheese"...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Smile

some Europeans believe that very cold drinks are unhealthy and invite sickness.
    And when cold beer reached west of the Darling, we knew we had arrived.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    At last! A REAL cheese!

Not those plastic things that Anglo-Saxons pretentiously call "cheese"...
    Yes, blue cheese is da shit. Good in every way.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I only recently, about two or three years ago, found out about eating black current jam with cheeses, or at least with chedders or red leiscester (which is one of my favourites) and its wonderful.
    Marmalade and sharp cheddar is nice but by far the most decadent I have tasted as an entree was crumbed and deep fried Brie with a tart Blackcurrant (or you could try Cranberry) sauce. That was to die for!!!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Marmalade and sharp cheddar is nice but by far the most decadent I have tasted as an entree was crumbed and deep fried Brie with a tart Blackcurrant (or you could try Cranberry) sauce. That was to die for!!!
    My mother bakes brie into phylo dough and serves it with fresh fruit. Now THAT is the best, IMO.

Also, it's traditional to eat a slice of cheddar cheese on apple pie rather than ice cream.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    British people leave the butter at room temp. It's really best that way.

French cheeses taste better at room temp.

I'm thinking that it also has a lot to do with the fact that traditionally French people buy small amounts of fresh food, and Americans buy large quantities of food at supermarkets.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    My mother bakes brie into phylo dough and serves it with fresh fruit. Now THAT is the best, IMO.

Also, it's traditional to eat a slice of cheddar cheese on apple pie rather than ice cream.
    My mouth is watering on both counts but I can't find the drooling smilie! !!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown