User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Types of *practical* blades, kukris, machetes, axes, etc.

For those of you who actually use these tools, which do you find to be most useful and in what situations? For example, if you're out on a camping trip, would you prefer to bring an axe or a machete? What style of axe/machete? What do you think are the best quality blades, and who provides the best quality?

I'm all ready to buy a kukri for hiking/backpacking/camping trips. I'm choosing a kukri because it seems to have a wide range of uses due to its unique design. I'm a huge fan of multipurpose tools that can do everything possible, and a kukri is one of those rare multitasking types of blades. Specialized weapons/tools are unbeatable for their intended purposes, but since my purposes vary quite a bit a kukri would be a perfect choice. I'd need it for light wood chopping, cutting, and protection, and a potential ability to rip through bone and muscle (be it a carcass or a muscle tank predator). Has anyone used a kukri before who can comment on its usefulness, and where you should buy a quality one?

Oberon

I have not used a kukri before, but I have used a kukri-pattern machete, and I can tell you that the blade geometry makes it cut like something much bigger. Cold Steel makes both the kukri-style machete and a pretty high-quality build of the real deal. The thick back, heft, and weight-forward balance of the genuine kukri ought to make it all that much more effective.

If, on the other hand, you want something two-handed, I recommend the Estwing steel-shank Camper's Axe:

Oberon

NOTE: Both of these would be very useful around camp, albeit in somewhat different capacities.

MBTI
    INTJ

Me and BMS normally bring an axe and a machete. The thing is, I don't think we've ever gone out and not used the axe. We've never used the machete, though, so I'm going to replace it with a shovel.

In my experience, rarely are you going to encounter something that requires a machete that you couldn't just as easily remove with your hands, or an axe.

I've heard a lot about the usefulness of kukris but I've never actually used one.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISFJ

I knew you were an ISTP!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I usually have just carried a well sharpened hatchet I've had since I was 8 and a hunting knife I found in the woods as a kid and sharpened up well... between the two of those most bases are well covered
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

As a gardener Falcarius recommends the following;

Carpenters Hatchet. It can cut most things up to a few inches and it can be used as a hammer.

Pulaski. It is pretty much an axe and a mattock hence can be used to dig and cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

TBH, coldsteel's stuff looks about as high quality as a walmart machete, and the extensive research ive done on the topic seems to say the same. Plus, their REAL kukri style blades are ridiculously overpriced. I'm considering going for a budget Windlass Cutlery made genuine kukri for about $60 sharpened and shipped, or I might go with an identical/similar one off amazon for $30 shipped and have it sharpened locally for less than $10. The quality of those should be good enough for my my infrequent usage, and if I'm going to pay over $50 for a kukri, I'd rather get one of the best quality jobs I can get, which would be from Himalayan Imports, Tora Blades, or Khukuri House I suppose, all of which are pretty much over $100 with shipping.

Oberon

I am inclined to go with the Estwing, myself. I always seem to need something to drive tent pegs with.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I am inclined to go with the Estwing, myself. I always seem to need something to drive tent pegs with.
    You can supposedly do some good hammering with a full kukri (the spine being over 1/4" thick). An axe would be better, but for backpacking and having to carry around all the equipment by foot, the smaller kukri would seem more practical. If carting it all in by car, that doesn't matter so much.
    Last edited by Risen; 07-02-2010 at 12:11 PM.