User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i always take an axe when i go camping, because i like a good big campfire.
    but i am partial to axes- i was a firefighter, and also worked at a sawmill.

i have used a machete several times here in Belize, it is a must here. they are very very common here.
    it's real crucial to keep it sharp, to keep it honed and sharpened. a machete that looses much sharpness is completely worthless.

the kukri looks cool. i have never handled one. it looks a little smaller than a machete, is it?
    i would want the extra length of a longer machete, personally.
    i can see if you are really trying to conserve weight/space the kukri would make a lot of sense.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    You can supposedly do some good hammering with a full kukri (the spine being over 1/4" thick). An axe would be better, but for backpacking and having to carry around all the equipment by foot, the smaller kukri would seem more practical. If carting it all in by car, that doesn't matter so much.
    When you get the kukri, just make sure you're getting a working tool. Don't make the mistake of getting a knife so nice that you don't want to chop with it.

When I'm relying on gear I carry (tent or tarp, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc), I never need more than a Mora knife with a 4 inch blade. I paid something like $12 for it brand new. If I had to build a shelter, or rely heavily on fire in the winter with snow deeper than about a foot, I'd prefer to have (but not require) an axe of at least 3/4 length (arm-length handle). The reason for this is that most down wood is buried under the snow, and is either difficult to find, or soaking wet. I have a Wetterlings axe of that size which I like. It's rarely worth carrying that extra three pounds though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Fun/multifaceted/dominating

and

Pragmatic
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post

the kukri looks cool. i have never handled one. it looks a little smaller than a machete, is it?
    i would want the extra length of a longer machete, personally.
    i can see if you are really trying to conserve weight/space the kukri would make a lot of sense.
    Generally they're more like giant knives rather than machete size, with most being around 15~18" in total length (10~12" blade). I have not used one to be able to say from my own experience, but supposedly they're better when kept to around 18" of total length if you're planning to use it as a tool. There are kukri style machettes out there as well which are basically full length machetes with a blade shaped somewhat like a kukri, having that signature forward curve. They have the same functionality as a machete and less than an actual kukri, but are more effective than regular machetes, supposedly.

I've also seen a bowie knife do some good work on wood, though I doubt it's effectiveness at handling flesh (for preparing meat or self defense against large animals). My culinary experience tells me that blades are most definitely NOT equal in that regard. Kukri's are supposedly very good for that job.
    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Fun/multifaceted/dominating
    WTF is that thing?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I'm about to buy an AngKhola Kukri forged by a company called Himalayan Imports. Should cost about $75, and is reportedly among the best quality, most effective for actual use kukris one can buy.

Himalayan Import 18in Ang Khola Kukri Knife Review

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

My new toy from Ebay for $75 shipped, though I'm unsure of where it originates from.
    17"ANGKHOLA Khukuri Knife-HIGH CARBON STEEL-Nepal Kukri - eBay (item 360250829274 end time Aug-05-10 17:20:20 PDT)
    It's a 17" kukri with a 10.5" blade, 3/8" thick. I went to go get it fully sharpened today to a razor edge. It is SHARP. This blade is differentially tempered/heat treated high carbon steel, with max hardness being at the inner flat portion of the edge. The angkhola shape adjusts the mass of the blade to give it better weight profile and balance, as you can see by the "waves" that show up on the side. It's kind of the same principal as an I-beam. This thing is one hell of a chopper!

i use a cleaver to open up a young coconut in 4 strikes.
    pop pop pop pop.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i use a cleaver to open up a young coconut in 4 strikes.
    pop pop pop pop.
    Lol, nice to see another fan of fresh coconuts . It's great food for hiking/camping. I've actually been looking forward to seeing how easily I can crack one open with my kukri :P .

Oberon

You should publish the results of a functional test... chop through some broom-handle-sized saplings, or maybe a ham, and evaluate how well it did.