User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Hunting rattlesnakes

OK. Out here in CA, you can frequently encounter rattlesnakes in some areas. They're not very aggressive when you don't bother them, they just rattle and slither away. Well, I've heard that snake can taste pretty good... and I've never tried it. I love alligator meat... so why not snake meat? Mind you, it doesn't only have to be the super poisonous rattlesnake I go after, as there are plenty of even larger snakes around here I could go for, should I chance upon them again.

I'm a quick and nimble guy, though I'd rather not have to rely entirely on physical ability to keep me out of danger should I decide to go after a snake. So, does anyone here know a thing or two about capturing/hunting snakes?

The next time I'm on a hike I'm actually thinking of going with a good hiking/walking stick, which should do well in pinning down a snake from a distance on its own, but I think I'd rather make it so that I can stick a blade on the end of it on the fly to form a sort of spear when I need it. In fact, that'd be pretty damn useful for a host of other potential situations, mountain lions included x_x.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Nobody???

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

If it were me, I'd prefer to shoot the snake with a small caliber pistol (.22/.30) or a .410 shotgun, just aim at his head and blow off the top 1/4 of his body, you still have plenty to eat, and very little chance of getting bit.

But since handguns are frowned upon in most areas...

The last time I killed a pit viper (it was a cottonmouth) was with a shovel. I pinned down his head by splicing through a 1/3rd of his neck. Then after he tired himself out for awhile trying to flail around and bite the blade of the spade, etc. he got sluggish and I lifted up the spade tip and slammed it down on his neck, decaptiating him.

The most recent snake I killed here in Florida was a long, black rat snake. He was a mean bastard. I almost stepped on him in my Mother-in-law's backyard. He jumped up at me, and then chased me through the backyard. I grabbed a hoe and started chopping at him, and basically chopped him into three pieces as he was striking at me. Little bastard.

Remember, a 6 foot rattle snake can strike out at least 9 feet, and maybe even 10-11 feet if it is strong and fully coiled. They are most poisonous when they are smaller, as the poison glands put out the same amount of poison, but there is less water in the sac to dilute it.

Finally, have you considered eating iguana tail instead? They are not poisonous, and if Cali is anything like FL, then you shoukld be bale to find "wild" iguanas at a retention pond/lake near you.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Came across a huge rattler today on my way back from a hike, coiled up and ready to strike. I was too tired to dance around the thing, and the spear I had fashioned wasn't gonna work, so I threw a rock at it and let it slither away. Man, that would've been a fat meal. I think I might try looping them next time with a long pole and string/rope, or constructing a pronged spear, or both on the same spear. I like the latter idea.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Came across a huge rattler today on my way back from a hike, coiled up and ready to strike. I was too tired to dance around the thing, and the spear I had fashioned wasn't gonna work, so I threw a rock at it and let it slither away. Man, that would've been a fat meal. I think I might try looping them next time with a long pole and string/rope, or constructing a pronged spear, or both on the same spear. I like the latter idea.
    Dude, check out this snake hunting tool!

Crikey That’s A Big Snake
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes:

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Here's my favorite story about snakes:

When I was seven...my grandpa took me bass fishing down at lake Santee Cooper.

We were in the fishn' boat and grandpa was taking me through the tree's that grew up out of the water.

A snake dropped off of the tree right in front of me and slithered up under my seat.

I had the O_o expression on my face.

Grandpa looked me straight in the eye and barely smiled. Well it was kind of a smile for grandpa.

"Don't worry about the snake. He won't bother you, unless you bother him."

I don't have a memory of the remainder of the boat ride. Except for getting out of the boat with my fish.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Here's my favorite story about snakes:

When I was seven...my grandpa took me bass fishing down at lake Santee Cooper.

We were in the fishn' boat and grandpa was taking me through the tree's that grew up out of the water.

A snake dropped off of the tree right in front of me and slithered up under my seat.

I had the O_o expression on my face.

Grandpa looked me straight in the eye and barely smiled. Well it was kind of a smile for grandpa.

"Don't worry about the snake. He won't bother you, unless you bother him."

I don't have a memory of the remainder of the boat ride. Except for getting out of the boat with my fish.
    Go Grandpa!!!

Awesome story!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes:

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

here's what you do.

wear armor (not chainmail). I'm talking like iron at least: metal spiked boots, platelegs, a platebody, and a full helmet depending how far out in the wilderness you are. Bring along a flame thrower and an M16. Make sure you have at least 3 grenades, and you should be set.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    here's what you do.

wear armor (not chainmail). I'm talking like iron at least: metal spiked boots, platelegs, a platebody, and a full helmet depending how far out in the wilderness you are. Bring along a flame thrower and an M16. Make sure you have at least 3 grenades, and you should be set.
    A boot and a stick would be far more efficient by comparison .