• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hiking gear

Mole

Permabanned
^ If you bother with a blade, make it a machete, but IME they are more trouble and weight than they are worth unless you're trailblazing

Most important gear:

solid pair of heavy duty gaiters--keeps your boots from getting dirt and snow in them
sleeping bag--not only is it where you'll spend at least a 1/3 of your time, it's also what will keep you alive in an emergency and doubles as a way to keep your gear dry (wear wet gear from the day inside out or lay it on top of you inside the bag)
camp stove and aluminum cookware--dont skimp on these... needed to melt ice for every meal and refill waterbottles for everyone on your hike

everything else is negotiable. a nice thing to pick up is a couple sea2summit dry bags for all your clothes and 2 heavy duty trash compactor bags to line your pack with. when it comes to your gear, the #1 battle is moisture. I prefer very thin base layers as they can dry by themselves once you stop sweating simply by the heat of your body. shell layer, get something gortex by a major brand and youll be fine. then add insulating layers in between depending on how cold you are. make sure you have enough thermal layering for a worst case scenario... you will probably never use it, but you can go from nearly overheating on a steep ascent to nearly frostbitten when you go through an opening at the peak where the wind is forced through, so make sure you can reach it quickly.

last but not least, make sure your boots fit!! happy trails :)

Good God, I just go out for a stroll in the Bush and sometimes camp overnight in good weather.

This sounds like an expedition.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
^ If you bother with a blade, make it a machete, but IME they are more trouble and weight than they are worth unless you're trailblazing

Hence the kukri, which does everything a machete and an axe/hatchet and a knife can do, but in a more compact form, all thanks to the shape and thickness of the blade. Machetes can be rather useless for any sort of wood chopping, kukris are perfect for that. Machetes are too big for smaller jobs knives are used for, kukris (of moderate size) fill that gap. The design of it is utility first, in everything from the way the steel is tempered to the shape of the edge, which is convex so that it keeps an edge better when chopping through hard wood and is more easily sharpened. The good ones are also differentially tempered such that the flat inward facing part of the blade (the sweet spot used for chopping) has the greatest hardness, while the rest is left soft/more pliable so that the entire blade is strong and resists breaking. The level of craftsmanship that goes into making them is akin to a katana, though the latter has little/no modern world functionality. Add to that the thickness of the spine allows one to use the kukri as a hammer and as a prybar, and its usefulness goes far beyond a machete.

Most important gear:

solid pair of heavy duty gaiters--keeps your boots from getting dirt and snow in them
sleeping bag--not only is it where you'll spend at least a 1/3 of your time, it's also what will keep you alive in an emergency and doubles as a way to keep your gear dry (wear wet gear from the day inside out or lay it on top of you inside the bag)
camp stove and aluminum cookware--dont skimp on these... needed to melt ice for every meal and refill waterbottles for everyone on your hike

everything else is negotiable. a nice thing to pick up is a couple sea2summit dry bags for all your clothes and 2 heavy duty trash compactor bags to line your pack with. when it comes to your gear, the #1 battle is moisture. I prefer very thin base layers as they can dry by themselves once you stop sweating simply by the heat of your body. shell layer, get something gortex by a major brand and youll be fine. then add insulating layers in between depending on how cold you are. make sure you have enough thermal layering for a worst case scenario... you will probably never use it, but you can go from nearly overheating on a steep ascent to nearly frostbitten when you go through an opening at the peak where the wind is forced through, so make sure you can reach it quickly.

last but not least, make sure your boots fit!! happy trails :)

Considering our climate, we never have to worry about snow (unless in the very high mountains). In summer its best to pack an extra layer for cold nights, especially if in the desert. I prefer to go out with ALL synthetic (nylon/polyester) clothes, pants and shirts. Cotton is just a pain in the ass, though it can be useful on cool nights for warmth. These are more hot climate considerations.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
I've been putting my kit back together slowly over the last little bit. There's definitely area and season appropriate gear. Since my back and shoulders are a bit beat up nowadays, I'm learning the benefits of going lighter. Multi-function gear is always good. The most important things: stay dry, stay warm, stay hydrated and well fed, TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET!!!...The army's answer for everything: Drink water, change your socks.

Most of my kit is milsurp or old issue gear I still have lying around. Its heavy, but its bomb-proof. I'm trying to find some good weight compromises now. I bought a digital fish scale from Gander Mountain to weigh all my gear. I'm trying to get my base between 20-25lbs for a week-long loadout. I'm sitting at about 30lbs right now, but my ol' ruck is 8.6lbs on its own. With all the heat and humidity (I don't do cold weather well and only get outdoorsy in the warmer months) I prefer external frame packs. Been looking at a Kelty 3950, it would drop a little over 3lbs off my base weight just from switching packs.

As for gear, I'm slowly swapping in civvie stuff. Sweatwicking clothes and convertible nylon cargo pants (that way I don't have to carry an extra pair of shorts). I usually stick to UnderArmor and Northface. An aluminum alcohol stove (been eyeing the Trangia 28). I've got the usgi MSS bags (I love those things) and pack the patrol bag and gortex cover. My tent consists of USGI poncho, bungee and para cord, and a few aluminum stakes. I always carry a Kershaw Blur pocket knife, Leatherman Wave, and Surefire E1L Outdoorsman flashlight even in my everyday wear. I back those up camping with a cold steel SF shovel and a 5.5" kabar. The blades aren't really necessary for trailwork, but very much needed if you're gonna off-trail or into less maintained areas. You can never have enough 550cord or 100mph tape :D .

My camping list is so similar to the old packing lists for going out into the field, its funny. Just gotta swap to lighter gear and I ditched the combat related equipment.

On the knives, I really recommend the coldsteel shovel. Serves multi-purpose as my hatchet/machete/hammer/shovel.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7EdhnReYH0"]Cold Steel Shovel[/YOUTUBE]

I actually have 2 packs:

Good Ol' Alice. Heavily modified. Similar to the Hellcat ruck:
Share your cheap yet potentially valuable tricks.... - AR15.COM
My extended range, all season bag (or zombie apocalypse gear :newwink:) She may be a bit thick, but you can always count on her. I've seriously considered swappin' her out for a Kelty Trekker 3950 (which I would of course modify, like my pack even with my shoulders so I don't have to worry about snaggin' it on every tree limb in the forest, civvie ex. frames sit up way too high, plus better center of gravity for my tall, lanky ass). I just can't bring myself to give up that 'toss her out of the back of plane into a minefield and she'll just shrug it off' durability. :D
picture.php

Its a little empty right now, been going through my gear and revising my loadout.

The 2nd is my 'Daypack'. A modified Camelback Mule I've had for ages. I actually have enough gear, food, and water in there that I could get lost in the woods for a couple of days and be perfectly fine. Full load-out comes in at about 15lbs. This is what you'll most often find me hiking around with.
picture.php

I've actually got a lightweight sleep system in there. The same poncho hooch I mentioned earlier and a woobie (poncho liner) for warmth(plus a space saver blanket in my medical pouch to supplement). Otherwise known as a Ranger Roll.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I've been putting my kit back together slowly over the last little bit. There's definitely area and season appropriate gear. Since my back and shoulders are a bit beat up nowadays, I'm learning the benefits of going lighter. Multi-function gear is always good. The most important things: stay dry, stay warm, stay hydrated and well fed, TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET!!!...The army's answer for everything: Drink water, change your socks.

Most of my kit is milsurp or old issue gear I still have lying around. Its heavy, but its bomb-proof. I'm trying to find some good weight compromises now. I bought a digital fish scale from Gander Mountain to weigh all my gear. I'm trying to get my base between 20-25lbs for a week-long loadout. I'm sitting at about 30lbs right now, but my ol' ruck is 8.6lbs on its own. With all the heat and humidity (I don't do cold weather well and only get outdoorsy in the warmer months) I prefer external frame packs. Been looking at a Kelty 3950, it would drop a little over 3lbs off my base weight just from switching packs.

As for gear, I'm slowly swapping in civvie stuff. Sweatwicking clothes and convertible nylon cargo pants (that way I don't have to carry an extra pair of shorts). I usually stick to UnderArmor and Northface. An aluminum alcohol stove (been eyeing the Trangia 28). I've got the usgi MSS bags (I love those things) and pack the patrol bag and gortex cover. My tent consists of USGI poncho, bungee and para cord, and a few aluminum stakes. I always carry a Kershaw Blur pocket knife, Leatherman Wave, and Surefire E1L Outdoorsman flashlight even in my everyday wear. I back those up camping with a cold steel SF shovel and a 5.5" kabar. The blades aren't really necessary for trailwork, but very much needed if you're gonna off-trail or into less maintained areas. You can never have enough 550cord or 100mph tape :D .

My camping list is so similar to the old packing lists for going out into the field, its funny. Just gotta swap to lighter gear and I ditched the combat related equipment.

On the knives, I really recommend the coldsteel shovel. Serves multi-purpose as my hatchet/machete/hammer/shovel.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7EdhnReYH0"]Cold Steel Shovel[/YOUTUBE]

I actually have 2 packs:

Good Ol' Alice. Heavily modified. Similar to the Hellcat ruck:
Share your cheap yet potentially valuable tricks.... - AR15.COM
My extended range, all season bag (or zombie apocalypse gear :newwink:) She may be a bit thick, but you can always count on her. I've seriously considered swappin' her out for a Kelty Trekker 3950 (which I would of course modify, like my pack even with my shoulders so I don't have to worry about snaggin' it on every tree limb in the forest, civvie ex. frames sit up way too high, plus better center of gravity for my tall, lanky ass). I just can't bring myself to give up that 'toss her out of the back of plane into a minefield and she'll just shrug it off' durability. :D
picture.php

Its a little empty right now, been going through my gear and revising my loadout.

The 2nd is my 'Daypack'. A modified Camelback Mule I've had for ages. I actually have enough gear, food, and water in there that I could get lost in the woods for a couple of days and be perfectly fine. Full load-out comes in at about 15lbs. This is what you'll most often find me hiking around with.
picture.php

I've actually got a lightweight sleep system in there. The same poncho hooch I mentioned earlier and a woobie (poncho liner) for warmth(plus a space saver blanket in my medical pouch to supplement). Otherwise known as a Ranger Roll.

Yea, i find that the interests of camping/backpacking/hiking converge with military stuff quite a bit, which is to be expected. You should check out these convertible pants:

The North Face Paramount Peak Convertible Pants - Men's 34'' Inseam at REI.com

3166.77504_e.jpg

These are the best convertibles I've come across. They're durable (not super thin like most nylons), fully waterproof, have more than 6 good sized pockets (a lot of convertibles have crappy small ones), and they zip off at a good length down the leg, not too high and... queer looking. Plus they have actual belt loops in addition to a built in belt.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Yea, i find that the interests of camping/backpacking/hiking converge with military stuff quite a bit, which is to be expected. You should check out these convertible pants:

The North Face Paramount Peak Convertible Pants - Men's 34'' Inseam at REI.com

IMG

These are the best convertibles I've come across. They're durable (not super thin like most nylons), fully waterproof, have more than 6 good sized pockets (a lot of convertibles have crappy small ones), and they zip off at a good length down the leg, not too high and... queer looking. Plus they have actual belt loops in addition to a built in belt.

LOL!!! That's the exact pair I've got, just in khaki. I have 2 pairs of those and two pairs of green Underarmour Heat Gear t-shirts in the big pack as spares, plus 1 set that stays out to wear. :D

The peaks were really hard to find locally. I had chosen those specifically for the larger cargo pockets and longer shorts length.

Underarmour T-shirt
Under Armour

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
LOL!!! That's the exact pair I've got, just in khaki. I have 2 pairs of those and two pairs of green Underarmour Heat Gear t-shirts in the big pack as spares, plus 1 set that stays out to wear. :D

The peaks were really hard to find locally. I had chosen those specifically for the larger cargo pockets and longer shorts length.

Underarmour T-shirt
Under Armour

Yea, they're great. I just wish they came in more colors. I also wish it had another belt loop on the front left. I need to hang my kukri scabbrad in that area, and the lack of a belt loop there makes it sag too much.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Yea, they're great. I just wish they came in more colors. I also wish it had another belt loop on the front left. I need to hang my kukri scabbrad in that area, and the lack of a belt loop there makes it sag too much.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who has a problem with that missing belt loop. I always keep my leatherman on my belt at about the 7-8 o'clock position and usually have my kabar on the left in front of that and CS shovel on my right if I'm out in thick bush. I've been seriously considering taking them to one of the sewing shops around here and having a loop added.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Nice to know I'm not the only one who has a problem with that missing belt loop. I always keep my leatherman on my belt at about the 7-8 o'clock position and usually have my kabar on the left in front of that and CS shovel on my right if I'm out in thick bush. I've been seriously considering taking them to one of the sewing shops around here and having a loop added.

Do you wear a regular (32") or long (34") inseam/length on these? I'm wondering if the length of the shorts differ between them.

Mole

Permabanned
Trekking Poles

The dog next door is bit like you - he has a go at me whenever he can. He has started whispering through the fence at me, "Four legs good, two legs bad", and then kinda sneering at me until I brought down my trekking poles behind my back, and when he started whispering at me, I brought out my poles and strode off on four legs. He look dumbfounded and started to chase his tail in pure frustration.

But I must say the dog next door is right - four legs are better than two.

Of course trekking poles are very good for moving up and down slopes but I rather like them on the flat where I not only exercise my legs but my hands, arms, shoulders and back. You might say I walk a bit like a dog.

The other advantage is that they attract attention as I walk around the suburb and people start to talk and so we have nice conversations.

I am surprised how hi-tech and well made the trekking poles are and how cheap, but see for yourself by clicking on -

YouTube - Hiking Equipment - About Hiking Poles

Last edited:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
True Victor. Trekking poles are a huge advantage anytime the footing is unstable. This includes flat ground with ice, snow, sand, or mud. This May, I did a 24 mile, 2 day loop in the mountains where the trail was probably 50% mud and water. I really missed having a pair of trekking poles even though I was using a single hiking stick. (I'm not sure why I didn't just grab another stick actually.)

Other advantages which stand out for me:

1. Help out lots on uphill sections.

2. Reduce knee strain on downhills if carrying a load and going slow. I often just go fast though, and then they get in the way.

3. Lengthen my stride on flat sections, causing me to walk faster.

4. Stop my hands from swelling due to gravity when walking for long periods.

Mole

Permabanned
True Victor. Trekking poles are a huge advantage anytime the footing is unstable. This includes flat ground with ice, snow, sand, or mud. This May, I did a 24 mile, 2 day loop in the mountains where the trail was probably 50% mud and water. I really missed having a pair of trekking poles even though I was using a single hiking stick. (I'm not sure why I didn't just grab another stick actually.)

2. Reduce knee strain on downhills if carrying a load and going slow. I often just go fast though, and then they get in the way.

Yes JAVO, I have a nice walking staff of light-weight wattle, it's a magnificent thing but mostly for show. No, the two trekking poles make all the difference. And they have taught me a new way of walking. And made of aluminium, they are as light as a feather. And when I suffer from gout, they keep me on my feet. Really I think of them as another vehicle, but one that exercises all of me as I walk.

If you did use two sticks on your 24 mile, two day trek in the mountains, they would have lacked the straps on the hands which seem to take most of the weight.

It does sound like a nice walk and your pictures are wonderful.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Do you wear a regular (32") or long (34") inseam/length on these? I'm wondering if the length of the shorts differ between them.
I had to pull them out and check them. They're medium/regular. I'm kind of an odd pants size, 31x33. I usually wear 32x34 in jeans, but some brands of clothes fit me better in 32x32.

I don't think there's any difference in the shorts length. They probably tack the length onto the lower legs.

hikin2.jpg

Ya know, I've never been able to get comfortable with trekking poles. I use a 5ft wooden staff. Maybe its 'cause I've been doing it that way ever since I was a kid wandering around the woods and creeks. Just more natural for me and I like being able to keep one hand free as much as possible.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Here is my current gear setup, with some pros and cons:

-- Good waterproof hiking boots, soft and cushioned inside, but I wish I had bought them one size bigger because my toes go numb when I walk downhill for too long. Good shoes are very important. Waterproof is a must.
-- Things you can attach to your belt. I have this nylon holster-like thing that came with a gift a few years ago. In goes lip balm, sunglasses, snacks, tissues, multi-tool, etc.
-- Medium size (50 cubic inches? Don't remember) inner frame pack. I like packs where I can attach a bunch of stuff in places that are easy to access. I also have a super old external frame pack that is smaller. Choice of pack is not critical IMO. The super old one works almost as well as the new one, just a bit smaller.
-- Camelback bladder to put inside the pack. This is awesome and really really important. Way better than a bottle because it doesn't bump into you while you're hiking.
-- Gravity filter. I know some people swear by pump filters, but I swear by my gravity filter. It's light, compact, simple to use, and fast. Very important for obvious reasons.
-- Alcohol stove. I made it myself. Once again, I know most people use white gas, but you can't make one of those at home or out of found materials. If your white gas stove stops working, you'll be eating cold food until you can get it fixed or replaced. However the alcohol stove is kind of dangerous in my experience -- boiling water on unstable surface + liquid fuel that doesn't stop burning if you spill it all over yourself.
-- 25 °F Bag. If it gets colder than 25 °F, put on some thermal underwear.
-- Half-size pad. Put your legs on your pack, and put your head on some clothes.
-- 2-person tent. Optional if you're going to a shelter, or your girlfriend isn't coming and the weather will be nice. I do own a hammock but haven't really used it, whether because a) there won't be any trees, b) my GF is coming, or c) there will be a shelter.
-- Lightweight raingear. Top and bottom. Use as a shell if the weather turns cold, windy, or rainy.
-- Other stuff I frequently bring: Cord and string, a lightweight tarp, trekking poles, headlamp, trowel, extra socks

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I also prefer to use a single wooden pole overall, roughly 5 feet. It has many more uses, imo, than a pair of manufactured trekking poles: weapon, spear, potential fishing rod if need be, general tool for reaching high objects.

As for porable stoves...those are one of those camping staples that I kind of hate because i can't see the point. I much prefer setting up my own fire pit which can burn any amount of wood thats laying on the ground, and make it as big as I need. This is where I conflict with the eco-conscious crap. Wood is wood. It needs to be burned at some point, especially in CA where you only end up getting giant fires when the forests and chaparral don't get regular small fires. Down here its almost universally outlawed to set fires beyond a developed campsite with a premade fire pit/ring, but it really doesn't do shit above making your own if you know how to do it right. It's just an extra hassle that ruins primitive camping. Why carry a stove when you can set up a fire yourself at the spot where you sleep at, and cover it up when you leave? WHY BRING SAND TO THE BEACH!?!?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
-- Good waterproof hiking boots, soft and cushioned inside, but I wish I had bought them one size bigger because my toes go numb when I walk downhill for too long. Good shoes are very important. Waterproof is a must.
I'm still trying to decide whether I like waterproof breathable (GoreTex) shoes or not. I have GoreTex boots, but rarely wear them in favor of hiking shoes which actually have holes in the bottom (protected by fabric-like screen) to drain and dry faster. I guess if it's mostly wet, waterproof is more comfortable than wetting out the shoes just by walking across the wet grass to the trailhead, especially if it's cooler.

-- Alcohol stove. I made it myself. Once again, I know most people use white gas, but you can't make one of those at home or out of found materials. If your white gas stove stops working, you'll be eating cold food until you can get it fixed or replaced. However the alcohol stove is kind of dangerous in my experience -- boiling water on unstable surface + liquid fuel that doesn't stop burning if you spill it all over yourself.
What type of stove did you make? I've made a Penny, Supercat, and Zen Chimney. I think I like the Penny the best. I usually cook over a fire, but lately I've enjoyed the convenience of not needing a fire if I want to hike or sleep more. :D

-- Half-size pad. Put your legs on your pack, and put your head on some clothes.
Great tip! I do this also, except below 30 F or so.

-- Other stuff I frequently bring: Cord and string, a lightweight tarp, trekking poles, headlamp, trowel, extra socks
I use either a found stick, rock, trekking pole, or tent stake as a trowel for digging small potty holes.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm still trying to decide whether I like waterproof breathable (GoreTex) shoes or not. I have GoreTex boots, but rarely wear them in favor of hiking shoes which actually have holes in the bottom (protected by fabric-like screen) to drain and dry faster. I guess if it's mostly wet, waterproof is more comfortable than wetting out the shoes just by walking across the wet grass to the trailhead, especially if it's cooler.

What type of stove did you make? I've made a Penny, Supercat, and Zen Chimney. I think I like the Penny the best. I usually cook over a fire, but lately I've enjoyed the convenience of not needing a fire if I want to hike or sleep more. :D

Great tip! I do this also, except below 30 F or so.

I use either a found stick, rock, trekking pole, or tent stake as a trowel for digging small potty holes.

Hey, thanks.

Waterproof is a must for me, if you're crossing a creek and you have to step in (or accidentally step in), it's nice to not have swamp feet for the next (xxx) miles. I guess you could take your shoes off before you cross, eh?

This is the alcohol stove I made: Zen Alcohol Stoves - Mini Zen Alcohol Sideburner Stove
^Great website, btw

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Waterproof is a must for me, if you're crossing a creek and you have to step in (or accidentally step in), it's nice to not have swamp feet for the next (xxx) miles. I guess you could take your shoes off before you cross, eh?

This is the alcohol stove I made: Zen Alcohol Stoves - Mini Zen Alcohol Sideburner Stove
^Great website, btw

I've been just wading through water in shoes, but swamp feet do suck. In shoes, any water over 4 inches deep runs over the tops, so waterproofing is less helpful. If I wear boots, the creeks will be deeper and run over the tops of them. :cheese: I might try GoreTex socks and just wade deep creeks barefoot.

Cool stove. Sideburners are nice to not have to fiddle with a separate pot stand.

Mole

Permabanned
I also prefer to use a single wooden pole overall, roughly 5 feet. It has many more uses, imo, than a pair of manufactured trekking poles: weapon, spear, potential fishing rod if need be, general tool for reaching high objects.

I'm an urban trekker and sometimes I take my five foot staff with me, but only to impress the natives. And you are right, it is very nice to poke things with. And of course it looks like a lethal weapon. My only problem is not crossing wet streams but absent mindedness - so I tend to leave my beautiful decorated staff behind in coffee shops. But the staff always keep my staff for me but look at me as though I am a little odd.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
While I'm waiting for a refund on my Columbia Pole creek hiking boots for being too small, I'm looking at Hi-Tec's ion mask technology as a possible alternative. The tight fitting size 13 Pole Creek shoes had a GREAT design, and actually getting to wear them had me sold, but alas... god damn my big feet. Anyway, I've been considering the advantages and disadvantages to waterproof shoes in terms of breathability, durability, and drying speed. It's hard to get a boot that doesn't have tradeoffs in those areas. I prefer a boot that keeps my feet from getting wet in the first place, and offers them a good deal of support and protection. That usually means a thicker, leather based boot that might not breathe as well as a light mesh runner, and might hold on to water more if it gets into the booth through sweat or over the top.

However, Hi-tec's military derived ion-mask technology might very well alter the balance altogether. It's a revolutionary technology that trumps goretex by waterproofing the entire surface of the boot, a treatment that lasts forever, and COMPLETELY blocks water and dirt. It was originally developed by the military to ensure no chemicals could penetrate their clothes.
[YOUTUBE="AyQjTiX7-Zw"]Hi-Tec ion mask[/YOUTUBE]

So, I am considering getting these considerably less stylish (Man I hate wearing green, and I had a cool outfit based on the jet black and blue Pole Creeks), but more hot weather and water friendly V-Lite Mach 3.0 boots.

40238p.jpg

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
However, Hi-tec's military derived ion-mask technology might very well alter the balance altogether. It's a revolutionary technology that trumps goretex by waterproofing the entire surface of the boot, a treatment that lasts forever, and COMPLETELY blocks water and dirt. It was originally developed by the military to ensure no chemicals could penetrate their clothes.

See Richard Nisley's post in this thread (he's a respected one-man gear manufacturer):

BackpackingLight Forum

Richard Nisley said:
If you are thinking of ion maskâ„¢ treatment of a breathable fabric it will provide long term water repellency but not true waterproofness. For true waterproofness, the treated breathable fabric has to provide resistance to water pressure mm/H20 - JIS I 1092 of at least 17,586. I am not aware of any non-waterproof fabric that can be ion mask treated to provide this pressure resistance.