User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Hiking gear

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Hell, it's almost like suiting yourself up with the best armor and weapons on an rpg :P : trying to max out your durability, speed, aeration, grip, etc. "stats" before doing battle with a mountain.
    I somehow really like that you use an imaginary situation to illustrate a point about the real-world one... I feel like most people use concrete examples to illustrate the theoretical.

Anyway though, I LOVE THAT HAMMOCK.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Hennessy hammock with a mosquito net, tarp, and super light weight (under 2 pounds total).
    You could try making your own hammock to see if you'll like sleeping all night in a hammock first. I made my own, and I couldn't get comfortable for reasons a better hammock are unlikely to resolve.

Check out this forum:
    Hammock Forums : Your Number One Hammock Community

Many seem to prefer the Warbonnet Blackbird over the Hennessy, but I haven't tried either one.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    You could try making your own hammock to see if you'll like sleeping all night in a hammock first. I made my own, and I couldn't get comfortable for reasons a better hammock are unlikely to resolve.

Check out this forum:
    Hammock Forums : Your Number One Hammock Community

Many seem to prefer the Warbonnet Blackbird over the Hennessy, but I haven't tried either one.
    Yea, but the blackbird is even more costly. I ONLY sleep on my back and side, and from the many reviews I've done it seems to be perfect. Hell, I can sleep sitting up if I have to, so I'm sure I can adjust to a hammock. Besides, I've already ordered everything I listed.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

My new toy from Ebay for $75 shipped, though I'm unsure of where it originates from.
    17"ANGKHOLA Khukuri Knife-HIGH CARBON STEEL-Nepal Kukri - eBay (item 360250829274 end time Aug-05-10 17:20:20 PDT)
    It's a 17" kukri with a 10.5" blade, 3/8" thick. I just got it today, and I must say it looks like a mighty fine knife. I can tell I would've been better served by getting one with a wood handle instead of the black buffalo horn. My tendency to have sweaty palms might necessitate amending the handle with something that provides better friction/grip. The blade is solid and it came pretty sharp. However, I don't think it's razor sharp, though I've never had one of these before to be able to tell what level of sharpness it should have.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

I just got it today, and I must say it looks like a mighty fine knife. I can tell I would've been better served by getting one with a wood handle instead of the black buffalo horn. My tendency to have sweaty palms might necessitate amending the handle with something that provides better friction/grip. The blade is solid and it came pretty sharp. However, I don't think it's razor sharp, though I've never had one of these before to be able to tell what level of sharpness it should have.
    Just remember, high carbon blades can rust or stain easily, just from high humidity, or someone's fingers touching the blade. Better invest in some oil and a soft cloth to keep it clean and rust free.

Have to say, from the pic, it looks like stainless...but that may just be environmental factors during the photo.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

It's not stainless. its high carbon steel thats been mildly polished, which is good because it helps to avoid the rust problem. The blade also came rather heavily oiled up. The scabbard is awesome too, solidly constructed with leather and pockets to hold the accessory knife and sharpener. The kukri's a real beauty, and shows what a hand forged blade is like .

As for the other stuff, i got my shoes and hammock today. The Hi-tech shoes are a GREAT design for $80. Well built with nubuck leather, solidly constructed outer soles, makes the feet feel well protected in a light, breathable (yet waterproof) package. However, the shoe was too small for me -_-. I sent it back in the mail the same day, and it might be 2 weeks before I get them back in a size 14, and hopefully those wont end up being too big...

Also got my hammock today. I need to find some points where I can set it up and give it a test.

Smile

I like to sleep in a simple lean-to with a fire in front.

MBTI
    IntP
    Enneagram
    =)
    Socionics
    =)

Has anyone tried hiking in Vibrams?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by man View Post
    Has anyone tried hiking in Vibrams?

Considering those are designed to let your foot flex naturally, I'd think they are too thin and too flexible for serious hiking. Stepping on rocks for hours on end would probably kill your feet in those...

MBTI
    ISTP

^ If you bother with a blade, make it a machete, but IME they are more trouble and weight than they are worth unless you're trailblazing

Most important gear:

solid pair of heavy duty gaiters--keeps your boots from getting dirt and snow in them
    sleeping bag--not only is it where you'll spend at least a 1/3 of your time, it's also what will keep you alive in an emergency and doubles as a way to keep your gear dry (wear wet gear from the day inside out or lay it on top of you inside the bag)
    camp stove and aluminum cookware--dont skimp on these... needed to melt ice for every meal and refill waterbottles for everyone on your hike

everything else is negotiable. a nice thing to pick up is a couple sea2summit dry bags for all your clothes and 2 heavy duty trash compactor bags to line your pack with. when it comes to your gear, the #1 battle is moisture. I prefer very thin base layers as they can dry by themselves once you stop sweating simply by the heat of your body. shell layer, get something gortex by a major brand and youll be fine. then add insulating layers in between depending on how cold you are. make sure you have enough thermal layering for a worst case scenario... you will probably never use it, but you can go from nearly overheating on a steep ascent to nearly frostbitten when you go through an opening at the peak where the wind is forced through, so make sure you can reach it quickly.

last but not least, make sure your boots fit!! happy trails