123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default What foods are rich in iron?

Don't say red meat...because I don't eat red meat. It makes me sick.
    I believe I've been having trouble with iron deficiencies again. I went for a run and it no matter how much I breathed, I still felt like I couldn't breathe (not asthma).

Are there any foods other than red meat that are cheap to buy, easy to make, healthy, and full of iron?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Socionics
    ESI

A can of smoked oysters costs about $2, is already cooked, and contains 20% DV worth of iron.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Get yourself some cast iron skillets by Lodge. That'll add some natural iron to anything you choose to cook.

Banned

I eat it for the taste though.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Oh, all of them sound delicious!
    I need to be less picky...then I won't die during exercise.

A lot of cereals are iron-enriched, like Cheerios (if you live in the US), and green, leafy vegetables, like spinach, etc. have it. Iron from non-meat sources is less accessible to your body, but it still can be absorbed. Also, molasses has a fair amount of iron.

Have you considered a supplement?

The iron cookware suggestion by sLiPpY is also good! I am vegetarian, so I have to be careful about this too... what makes you think you have an iron deficiency?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Actually beans are an excellent source of iron and apparently prune juice has it too...good fiber there along with your iron

Clams and sardines contain lots of iron too. I think clams have more iron than red meat.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    A lot of cereals are iron-enriched, like Cheerios (if you live in the US), and green, leafy vegetables, like spinach, etc. have it. Iron from non-meat sources is less accessible to your body, but it still can be absorbed. Also, molasses has a fair amount of iron.

Have you considered a supplement?

The iron cookware suggestion by sLiPpY is also good! I am vegetarian, so I have to be careful about this too... what makes you think you have an iron deficiency?
    Hmm...I like cheerios!

I actually didn't at first think it was an iron deficiency. At first I thought CFS, but pretty much everyone in my life that has seen me eat (including my dietitian mother) and has said that *symptom* is probably caused by *shitty eating habit*. I, for the most part, never really bought it, until recently when I just crashed. I slept for 8 hours one night, got up, left the house for some breakfast, came back home, and slept all day. Got up around 8 PM, then went to bed a couple hours later. I'm still incredibly fatigued, and I've tried everything to fight it (exercise, B vitamins, regular sleep pattern etc.), except eat more iron.

Usually I'm just tired all the time, but I fight it off by just telling myself it's nothing or drinking 5 hour energies. There are more reasons, but they're mostly woman reasons that could be the cause, and I've done everything for that too (I'm actually going in to see my OBGYN to up the dosage on my pill). That might not be anything, per say, but it could compliment the problems that I'm already having making them more severe.

I don't know what else it could be.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Spinach! It has more iron than meat.

You could also just take a supplement.

When I eat too many simple carbohydrates, I sleep like that and have brain fog. Eat, for example, eggs for breakfast, 3 oz chicken, some brown rice, a big salad (no bread) for lunch, and some variation on that for dinner (small portion meat, leafy greens, smal portion complex carbs), and you should feel more energy.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Spinach! It has more iron than meat.

You could also just take a supplement.

When I eat too many simple carbohydrates, I sleep like that and have brain fog. Eat, for example, eggs for breakfast, 3 oz chicken, some brown rice, a big salad (no bread) for lunch, and some variation on that for dinner (small portion meat, leafy greens, smal portion complex carbs), and you should feel more energy.

I pretty much eat whole grains and avoid most processed carbs (like red meat, they do not sit well in my tummy), but I'll try that. Thanks