User Tag List

12 Last

Default Living by Myself???

My lease runs out on Sept 1st and both of my roommates have already arranged for next year's living situation. I can take a room in a friend's apartment for a little bit more rent, or, I am considering getting a studio apartment. It would be quite a bit more expensive, but I can probably afford it.

I'm a little nervous about living by myself though. I've never done it before, and it could be bad in terms of loneliness, accidentally locking myself out, etc.

Anybody live by themselves? Advice?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I lived by myself for 2 years and enjoyed it... though I would suggest that it would also be the perfect time to get a pet

It gives you a nice opportunity to learn to fend for yourself and things of that sort... and you can always invite people over (a few friends were constantly at my place my last year of college )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

I live alone, and I honestly like it. I am also in a brand new town so I don't know anyone yet. I feel that if I had I people I knew here, I would love to live alone.

So, since you will have friends around, I think it could be the best of both worlds. It is a good thing to try at least once in your life. Good luck.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    yupp

I don't like being by myself, i was for 3 months and hated it, i like having someone around to shoot the shit with. I tend to isolate myself, which=depression then eventually=suicidal, so i need someone to keep me from locking myself in my room all day. I'm sure this isn't helping. Some people love living by themselves, i don't.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

LOVE living by myself. Done it for 3 years. Then moved in with bf for 2 years, then went back to living by myself, still am. Going on 1 year.

Pros:
    - freedom
    - practicing your independence
    - learning to take more responsibility for yourself
    - and the no pants zone, WHENEVER, WHEREVER YOU WANT

Cons:
    - gets lonely sometimes, esp if you're used to having people around you
    - the chores, all yours
    - rent and other financial stuff you used to split

But I tell you, nothing to be scared of. It will help you grow.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I lived by myself for 2 years and enjoyed it... though I would suggest that it would also be the perfect time to get a pet

It gives you a nice opportunity to learn to fend for yourself and things of that sort... and you can always invite people over (a few friends were constantly at my place my last year of college )
    Yeah that is a true/good point about inviting people over. I think I'm primarily concerned about the wintertime, when many or most people (including/especially me) rarely leave their homes for non-necessary activities. I could possibly die from loneliness if I go for long periods of time seeing nobody but my coworkers. I guess I'll just have to make sure to do stuff and see people, even when it's really crummy out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    I live alone, and I honestly like it. I am also in a brand new town so I don't know anyone yet. I feel that if I had I people I knew here, I would love to live alone.

So, since you will have friends around, I think it could be the best of both worlds. It is a good thing to try at least once in your life. Good luck.
    What do you like about it, Lux?

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I don't like being by myself, i was for 3 months and hated it, i like having someone around to shoot the shit with. I tend to isolate myself, which=depression then eventually=suicidal, so i need someone to keep me from locking myself in my room all day. I'm sure this isn't helping. Some people love living by themselves, i don't.
    Yeah, I don't really like being alone either. Well, sometimes I do, actually. I guess I'll just have to have home time be private time and then do everything else NOT at home (living with other people means that you can have home time be social time too).

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    LOVE living by myself. Done it for 3 years. Then moved in with bf for 2 years, then went back to living by myself, still am. Going on 1 year.

Pros:
    - freedom
    - practicing your independence
    - learning to take more responsibility for yourself
    - and the no pants zone, WHENEVER, WHEREVER YOU WANT

Cons:
    - gets lonely sometimes, esp if you're used to having people around you
    - the chores, all yours
    - rent and other financial stuff you used to split

But I tell you, nothing to be scared of. It will help you grow.
    No pants zone... that is a very compelling point!

Okay, maybe I'll just go through my budget and make sure this isn't crazy, and talk to some landlords/see some places. It could work. I think it could be good for me.

If it's horrible, I can switch after a year or something.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    What do you like about it, Lux?
    Hmm... Well, I like the fact that it is my space. It feels like me, it makes me happy, I also like the freedom of it, I guess. I think that encompasses it pretty well. I am also coming from a different situation than you are though. I think if you have friends that can and will come over or you can go to their place, it may not be such a lonely thing. I personally enjoy time alone, so this works for me, for now. I won't always want to live alone though, by any measure. When I do get bored I go out and see what I can see. To me it is nice because while it is not like this for now, it can possibly like this: You can have most of the interactions with others that you want, and you're never forced into it, because you have your own space to retreat to when you feel like it.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

My sister just told me my parents are going to sell the house when the youngest daughter (16) moves out. I guess they cannot afford it any longer or something or they cannot afford to maintain it anymore, now that there isn't anyone else around to help out. That makes me really sad. Where will we go for holidays? There are a lot of us...

Maybe this should go in my blog, but I feel like it is related to this topic, like maybe I should spend the money on the house instead of on a nicer apartment... I don't think I could host Christmas or Thanksgiving for 8+ people in a studio apartment.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

houses are nice... they give you a reminder that no matter what, you can always go home in the end
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Living on my own, by myself, at the age of 20, was the beginning of my adult life, and the genesis of me hatching into who I am today. I had to buy all my furniture, pay the deposit on my apartemnt, get the lights turned on, cable TV installed, clean the place up, decorate it, make it my own, buy some plants, adopt the stray cat outside my building, and keep the place in order.

You know what? I appreciated all my parents had done for me as a kid, as I now understood how damn hard it was.

Also, I realized that I created an environemnt that I was COMFORTABLE and HAPPY in. It was reflective of me, and supported my life's purpose.

It gave me an environment to entertain my friends. It gave me an environemtn that my wife (then classmate) and I studied in. It gave us an environment to get to know each other, without the distractions of roomates, and all their shit. Sixteen years later her and I are still together.

I'd say that apartment of mine was a good deal.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro