• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people get offended when you add salt/pepper?

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Why do some people get offended when you add salt/pepper to your food lol

MBTI Type
INTJ
I had a friend get offended when I added salt and pepper to a breakfast he cooked. He got bent because "a chef presents the food as he wants you to eat it". I told him he wasn't a chef and I liked salt and pepper.

I think it's just the sense on the part of whoever cooked the food that you don't enjoy it as they made it. Ridiculous in my opinion. Even top-notch restaurants put salt, pepper and condiments out when appropriate.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
People get offended because they expected (or were hoping) to prepare it in the most pleasing and perfect way possible, so can't understand your need for alteration. In a formal setting it can even be considered an insult to adulterate a dish this way. Because of course, the chef is the expert. Not your tastebuds.

I'm not saying they're right, but that's why.

I think putting ketchup on everything would be more offensive though ... ;)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
they need to think they're superior and we can't possibly have difference in taste preference. but it might be if you do it before you take a bite, i usually take a bite then decide. and sometimes I'm just craving salt and pepper and its not socially acceptable to just eat it straight.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I didn't understand this too until I started cooking things with salt and pepper for people. I thought I had added the "right" amount, and then my dad drowned his food in more salt and pepper and I had this strange righteous urge to slap him.

Strangely, it doesn't happen when I prepare foods that I don't feel like I've added enough salt/pepper to, like soups.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
After my grandfather's stroke [runs in the family, uh-oh...] he all of a sudden had an acute sensitivity to pepper, and can't eat stuff if it's slightly "hot." For some, it really does spoil their entire eating experience.

Also, if someone gives it to you, it's like an indictment of the food's quality, and thus, the cook. It says, "Wow, this is awful, better drown the taste of death in salt and pepper to get through this."

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Salt and pepper is a to taste thing. I don't get offended if people say things I cook need more salt, or pepper, simply because I know I tend to undersalt things according to other people. (I some times don't add salt at all).
Adding tomato sauce to every thing is just offensive though.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, then it'll be really offensive when I throw the plate of food across the room.

I'm the one eating the food, so I'll do what I want to it to make it edible according to my palate. If that turns you into a 5 year old piddling on itself in the sand box, then it's your problem.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Salt and peper are like part of the 'Cooking 101' class. It's a basic and essential part of cooking. So..if you pride yourself on being able to cook well and someone clearly 'disagrees' with that by adding that very basic thing that every cook should have done to their dish....:D

I think their pride kinda suffers at that point ;)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not offensive to do so but it's pretty stupid to do it before you taste it. I agree with Edison:

“Thomas Edison is reported to have tested anyone he was thinking about hiring. He would invite them to have a bowl of soup with them. Anyone adding salt without first tasting the soup failed his test. He didn’t want anyone making decisions based upon unfounded assumptions.”

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think it's a habit for some people and they have become accustomed to doing it more than requiring it for taste. I'm never offended if they salt and pepper my cooking. I'd rather have them do that than trying to season it in a way I can't duplicate.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I told him he wasn't a chef and I liked salt and pepper.
:yim_rolling_on_the_

I had a friend who would put tomato ketchup on EVERYTHING...
Oh, that brings back bad memories... there was a kid when I was growing up who would do the same thing. It was worse, as I consider ketchup absolutely disgusting, and wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole (yeah, it's some sort of phobia, I think). This kid would (apparently) put it on/in everything -- including hot chocolate and pancakes. :sick:

I just like salt and pepper. More than most people would think. I used to eat dinner with a large varied group with various tastes on a regular basis, so I tend to assume that most cooks minimize spices. I mean, it's a lot easier for spice-lovers to add some than it is for spice-haters to take some out, no?

F

figsfiggyfigs

really?? people get offended?? how odd.

wtf are you supposed to do then? force the plainness down your throat???

I'll make them eat the table cloth, then I'll innocently ask " salt?"
shy.gif

irked.gif