User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I wouldn't be offended, but I admit I would think that the person's palate is very narrow, which is why they have to drown food in salt, hot sauce, ketchup, whatever.

I personally like minimal salt in my food. I like to taste the other spices & flavors instead of just a salty taste. Ultimately, I'd prefer a chef to leave the food less salty & allow those who want salty food to add it themselves.
    same here I never add salt to anything
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

this is why i don't cook for others! haha

well, i'm not very skilled in the kitchen, so i tend to mask things with hot sauce, garlic, lemon, etc. i started salting foods pretty recently, and it's a habit i'd like to kick.

however, i really have come to appreciate subtle flavors in better cooking at the same time.

all in all, i understand.. sort of.. the exasperation a cook might feel, but different strokes!
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I wouldn't be offended, but I admit I would think that the person's palate is very narrow, which is why they have to drown food in salt, hot sauce, ketchup, whatever.

I personally like minimal salt in my food. I like to taste the other spices & flavors instead of just a salty taste. Ultimately, I'd prefer a chef to leave the food less salty & allow those who want salty food to add it themselves.
    Yep, this. And the thing about not adding salt and pepper before you've even tasted the food.

And if I am serving you a steak and you immediately drown it in steak sauce, it makes me make a mental note never to waste a good steak on you again.
    Something Witty

Oberon

Whose plate is it anyway?

I cannot believe the level of bigotry in this thread, in which people assume that unless you share their taste, you don't have taste... or are otherwise somehow personally unworthy. The application of condiments to food (even steak sauce on a steak, Tallulah) is no reflection on character. It may be the reflection of the relative sensitivity an individual's taste buds and olfactory sensors.

Tolerance, people... tolerance.

MBTI
    ENFJ

But seriously, if you're just going to drown the food in other tastes, why bother buying or making good food? It's a waste of time and effort.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    But seriously, if you're just going to drown the food in other tastes, why bother buying or making good food? It's a waste of time and effort.
    And who was it, exactly, that granted you authority to be the final arbiter of what I, or some other dinner guest, should consider good food?

The blending of flavors on a plate is a matter of personal preference. As a culinary explorer I'll try anything once... but I refuse to let someone else judge me as some sort of Neanderthal because I prefer my sashimi with a touch of wasabe and soy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

People who put steak sauce on a good steak don't have good taste. Or just don't like steak.

(I don't like steak).

Oberon

...and why would you assume that the manky slab of camel meat that Tallulah puts in front of you is a 'good steak'?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Whose plate is it anyway?

I cannot believe the level of bigotry in this thread, in which people assume that unless you share their taste, you don't have taste... or are otherwise somehow personally unworthy. The application of condiments to food (even steak sauce on a steak, Tallulah) is no reflection on character. It may be the reflection of the relative sensitivity an individual's taste buds and olfactory sensors.

Tolerance, people... tolerance.
    like I said... try the food first and then season all you want... :rolli:

It's presumptuous to season before trying (like I do with pepper ) but if you don't like it after you've tried it you have a right to modify it
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    This thread appears not to recognize that there is a middle ground between no/minimal seasoning and drowning food in salt or condiments. Salt, pepper, and other spices enhance food when used judiciously. I think it's just as silly to not season your food at all as it is to obscure the taste with gobs of ketchup or salt. Seasoning is like makeup on women. When you eat out, your food is probably salted and spiced when you get it but you don't taste it overtly. Just like properly applied makeup looks like you're not wearing any.

Just sayin.

(Didn't mean to call out just Hap...the quote was just handy on the last page.)
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari