• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people get offended when you add salt/pepper?

the soulless one

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Dunno. Some people like more or less of such things and it's nice to let the persons eating have the option by not over-doing it in the first place.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I personally only think it's rude when you get the food and put it on before you even try it. It's disrespectful to the chef that you wouldn't even give his original recipe a chance. But then again maybe you're aiming for high blood pressure.

MafiaAngel180

MBTI Type
ENFP
I salt stuff, probably because I grew up eating heavily salted things cooked by my father. I could care less what people think. I ususally salt it after I try a bite...but sometimes if you salt before, it is because you just know people don't season the way you would like. My one grandmother would carry around her own homemade hot sauce in her purse, because she KNEW that no one liked stuff as hot as she did. According to my gerontology class, you start losing taste buds around the age of 50. And by 80, they are pretty much shot. (That could explain why my other grandmother dumps a cup of sugar into a can of vegetables.) Some say smokers tend to need more salt. To each his own.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Happened to me two days ago. I was offended that they were offended. Seriously. Leave me alone and let me eat my overly salty food!

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I'll put salt & pepper on my egg & bacon whether the chef likes it or not.

O

Oberon

If people get offended at this it's because they're fvcking pretentious morons with overblown senses of their own importance. End of story.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm always amused when people are stupid enough to season my cooking without tasting it first... it usually renders their food inedible because I really love spices and salt myself :devil:

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm always amused when people are stupid enough to season my cooking without tasting it first... it usually renders their food inedible because I really love spices and salt myself :devil:

Same here. But, I laugh at them. It´s like they deserve it for underestimating my cooking skills.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
exactly, I get evil glee at their misfortune for ignoring my warning of "you might want to taste it first!" :cheese:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I made a soup for my mother that was completely from scratch, my own stock and everything, and I must have tasted it 60 times before I deemed it worthy to serve to her, and the first thing she did was grab the parmesan cheese shaker and dump about six shakes of Kraft parmesan cheese into the soup that I'd spent hours fine-tuning the taste of. I hollered and came up out of my chair, I couldn't help it.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think this is more a case of some people valuing subtle flavors more than others, not a matter of rudeness. If they're the kind of person who dumps salt and pepper on everything they eat as a matter of course, it's not an insult, they just like everything to taste like that. They probably wouldn't be able to appreciate the nuance you put in your dish anyway, so I don't get too worked up about it.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've never witnessed someone get offended at the use of salt or pepper.

Now, try putting sauce on a steak and you will hear something. Put ketchup on one, and you may be crucified. That's just Texas, though.