User Tag List

First 23456 Last

figsfiggyfigs

... I would kill for some fried chicken right now....salted.

Oberon

My wife used to get highly offended when I would put hot sauce on my food.

I was like... "c'mon, it's not your food, it's mine."

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Because many people has no idea about how the right spices can make wonders for your meals. When I add the four peppers´mix to my meals, my family looks at me as if they were shocked.

I have my personal arsenal of spices (curry, the four types of pepper, paprika, oregano, basil, ginger, cinnamon, among many others) and I sneak into my house´s kitchen while my mother leaves the food in the oven, or the cooking pot, and add the appropriate spice to it.

The fun thing is, that she gets everyone´s praise for the meals she makes with my secret help.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Usually when I'm cooking I only add the bare minimum of salt so that other people can add to suit their own needs.

Why is it surprising that people might have different tastes?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

I don't exactly get offended, but do feel disappointed. It's because when I cook, I try really hard to make the most pleasing dish possible. It's an act of love. Somebody adding extra salt, pepper, sauce, spice, etc just kinda seems to negate all the effort, especially when accompanied with "This has no taste".

All this with the cognitive understanding that yes, others have different taste buds, and yes, it's their food, they can eat it however they like. Also, I know that by adding salt, they're not saying "This dish sucks". Still, I feel disappointed. Hey, I feel how I feel, just like you taste how you taste. *shrug*

Of course, I could just learn to cook better too. :> However, I am trying to reduce our salt intake, so that makes it a bit harder... the guerilla tactic may be the way to go.

Donna Cecilia, I'd love to hear some cooking tips from you.

MBTI
    INTJ

I have extremely sensitive taste buds so whenever someone doesn't put salt or pepper on the food I prepare I'm usually a little shocked. I have noticed that other people sometimes get offended if someone adds anything to their meals (even like cheese or lemon or whatever) so I always make a point to tell people to feel free to do whatever to what I've made.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

salt and pepper make everything better!

ideally, they, the cook, would have been able to made it into perfection instead of you, the eater, tampering with it

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I take pride in my cooking and I do put forth efforts to make it as good as I can. I entertain sometimes and I have a rule: Take 3 bites just the way it is. Then you are allowed to alter it to you liking.

For people who splash hot sauce, drown it in ketchup or dust it in salt and pepper immediately shows that you lack decency. Through these acts, you reject someone's hard efforts to provide you with a meal. Do him the honor of trying it as it is for a few bites. If you don't, it's really insulting. More deeply, it tells me that this person cannot ever find happiness in life, because this person is not willing to accept the universe as it is: including the meal in front of their face.

"Tell me what you eat, I’ll tell you who you are." -Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

I've understood this quote at a very young age and it shows to be very true. Not only in it's telling of which culture you are from (sometimes right down to which block/street), but more about your philosophy and values. Especially in the western countries where we have some backward mental disorders like anorexia and bulimia. There is a marked difference between the person who lives off TV dinners vs someone who eats steak and pie for breakfast. Some who will eat blood sausage and those who will vomit from the very mention of it.

When someone cooks for you, you owe them some respect.

edit:
    Non-religious, or non-health related, vegetarians/vegans are just insulting to me on principle.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    Why do some people get offended when you add salt/pepper to your food lol
    Because you (the table guest) are implying that you think their food was prepared improperly- that they lacked enough skill to even tell if something lacked enough spice.

But at the same time, the kind of people who get offended at things like that are simply looking for a reason to stick their nose up at something. My grandmother was like that. If you complemented her on her new dress, she would fire back with “What?! So you’re telling me that I dressed like trash before this!”
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I wouldn't be offended, but I admit I would think that the person's palate is very narrow, which is why they have to drown food in salt, hot sauce, ketchup, whatever.

I personally like minimal salt in my food. I like to taste the other spices & flavors instead of just a salty taste. Ultimately, I'd prefer a chef to leave the food less salty & allow those who want salty food to add it themselves.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe