User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I don't really care for salt and pepper. My mom retrained my taste buds a while ago. She gradually reduced the amount of salt that she used in cooking. One day, I went to Kentucky Fried Chicken and didn't like the food.
    When I came home, I said to my mom, "You know, I used to like Kentucky Friend Chicken, but, today, the food tasted as if the cook had an accident with the salt shaker."
    "No, honey," said my mom. "The cook did not have an accident with the salt shaker. You're just not used to salt anymore."
    "Whatever could you mean, Mom?" I asked suspiciously. And then she told me about how she had retrained everyone's taste buds because, at the time, my parents had been diagnosed with high blood pressure. "You never noticed," my mom added, with a somewhat devious look.
    It turned out that my palate had been permanently retrained. As for the pepper, well, I've never really liked that.
    I don't like ketchup, mayonnaise, or mustard, either.
    Oh. Another salt story. There used to be a public service announcement about people who salted food indiscriminately. A woman sat on a chair while food passed her by on a conveyor belt. She salted everything! Eventually, she salted the tea!!!
    I don't really care if someone else were to add condiments or salt or pepper...
    Just taste the food first!!! And don't salt the tea!!!!!!!
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    And don't salt the tea!!!!!!!
    Exactly, you wouldn't go out and drink salt water would you?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

What the hell? Who's the dead man that hit me with the salt shaker?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Not offensive to do so but it's pretty stupid to do it before you taste it. I agree with Edison:

“Thomas Edison is reported to have tested anyone he was thinking about hiring. He would invite them to have a bowl of soup with them. Anyone adding salt without first tasting the soup failed his test. He didn’t want anyone making decisions based upon unfounded assumptions.”
    Normally I side with Tesla, but I agree with Edison there.

Then again, I don't have a salt shaker in the house at all. Just some sea salt in an container next to the stove for cooking.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I understand if they're offended if you salt and pepper before tasting it first, but afterwords, everyone has their own tastes
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I usually piss on mine after tasting it.

Don't judge me!

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Salt and peper are like part of the 'Cooking 101' class. It's a basic and essential part of cooking. So..if you pride yourself on being able to cook well and someone clearly 'disagrees' with that by adding that very basic thing that every cook should have done to their dish....
    Salt and pepper definitely don't need to be on most things. It can detract from the other flavours, particularly if someone is sensitive to salt/pepper. Since some people like the taste, it's easiest to add individually, so it shouldn't really be offensive to do so.

That being said I would probably get a little annoyed if someone really loaded up on the salt or pepper on a dish that was already seasoned (ie veggies, potatoes or eggs don't count).
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    4w5

I add salt to everything that's savoury, and before I try it too. I know it's stupid lol. And after I've tasted it, I normally put even more on. And continue to put it on as I eat.

Flatmate 1:Oh, the dish already has lots of salt in it
    Flatmate 2: She puts salt on everything
    Flatmate 1: Oh.

Enneagram
    4w5

One time I made the bad mistake of asking this little take-away place that's run by a really nice family if they would mind putting a bit more of this salty sauce on my noodles. I really upset the mum who was the cook. I felt so bad. And after that they always put extra sauce on my food when I went there.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It's never occurred to me to be offended by someone adding salt to food I cooked. I sometimes feel a little apologetic for not making it how they like it, but not excessively so.

Years ago, I was eating dinner at my sister-in-law's house. I like a little salt on my veggies, so I started to salt them. The lid fell off the salt shaker and ruined the food. Turns out my sister-in-law did not approve of her husband salting his vegetables and was attempting to teach him a lesson. :rolli:
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers