• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Indian vs. Chinese curries and food

Lark

Why are Indian food and curries named for regions and Chinese is more to do with the content?

O

Oberon

Because the Chinese thought it would be silly to have to name a place "Mu-shu City" to correct the discrepancy.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Both 'Chinese'...

But, BOTH, are noms/great/yummy - Filling.

I mean both of their take away curries and varied vindaloos and such, to be precise; Love -> Chinese Chicken Curry; and Chicken Fried Rice, om nom nom nom nom noms, kind of sucks an animal has to die for lunch/dinner or breakfast, but.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Cause the Chinese food you're eating is probably not real Chinese food. :p

But even if you happen to be eating traditional Chinese food, most of the names (in Chinese) contain content descriptions. Take Gong Bao Ji Ding, for example. "Ji ding" is chicken. Gong bao is just some imperial dude who liked the dish.

Really it's no different than saying you're gonna eat a Ceasar salad with chicken.

Actually, I don't understand this question at all. :laugh:

But I suppose it doesn't matter much...the thread's over 2 years old.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suppose it is because Curry in India actually has a variety compared to the other types of Curries. Not to mention, it plays a big role in Indian cuisine instead of the other Asian countries.

Since we are talking about Chinese Cusine, it is similar to the 8 traditional regions of Chinese Cuisine. Yes, most of the people in the states, more often than not, are only familiar with the Cantonese style Chinese Cuisine (or the American version to say the least.)

Likewise, Curry has a more distinct role when it comes to the regional difference of India. I, for one, love the spicy kind, so give me a variety that is spicy.

You can even compare the idea of Curry to the Italian Pasta. I am quite sure someone here knows of the many different regional varieties. While I know the different pastas, I don't know where they originate from when it comes to Italy (but I do love pasta[as long as it doesn't contain too much or any Parmesan - likewise... cheese you can write an essay on the regional difference of cheese in Europe.])

Cause the Chinese food you're eating is probably not real Chinese food. :p

Yes, Curry was pretty much brought over from the Indian/Middle East region. Not to mention it doesn't play a dominant role.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, I don't understand this question at all. :laugh:

I guess it's worth pointing out that at the Horsham Chinese Restaurant near the Giant Food in Horsham, PA, 19044, at the Horsham Point Shopping Center in America; have never heard of Chinese Curry. I love Chinese food where ever I can find it though so, I wasn't too fussed, it's just, every Chinese takeaway here does it.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I guess it's worth pointing out that at the Horsham Chinese Restaurant near the Giant Food in Horsham, PA, 19044, at the Horsham Point Shopping Center in America; have never heard of Chinese Curry. I love Chinese food where ever I can find it though so, I wasn't too fussed, it's just, every Chinese takeaway here does it.

Ahhh...ok....it's a UK thing, then.

That clears things up.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
g57special-curry.jpg

Chinese Curry

oven+baked+Indian+chicken+curry+copy.jpg

Indian Curry

Now, since I'm from Croydon, I am so lucky to have one of these in town.

404325736_23a6883954.jpg

Wing Yip

This has been here all my life, I think..; I have memorys of going around this place when I was kid..

Wing Yip acts as a cash and carry for every Chinese take out/restuarant in town... This is the big one, that businesses buy.

imagesCA1OC403.jpg

They have 2 departments, the cash and carry part, and the supermarket part.

This is what I buy, same thing as the take out places are buying, but not so huge.

41vPKHs915L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You just chop up your meat, your veg (make sure all the meat is cooked) - add some of this stuff to the saucepan/pot with boiling water, wait 5-7 minutes and voilà, Chinese Style Curry.

11538_wing-yip.gif

Basically, this stuff is imported from Hong Kong, but I guess it still could be made for the British market, it's a funny world we live in.