User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Default Need Guidance for my Journey into the Land of Coffee

I want to start to like coffee. I figure transitioning into it is a good idea, so that's what I've been doing, but I'm kinda stuck at this point.

I started at the "coffee flavored ice cream" phase, and I want to get to the "cup o' joe" phase. Currently, I'm at the "Double shot grande mocha latte" phase.

Any tips as to where to go next, coffee lovers?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I learned to like coffee because we were allowed to have breaks at work when I was a teen, but only to get coffee. So I was chosen, out of my sister and me, as the one who would have to drink the awful stuff. I loaded the crap up with sugar and choked it down. It was worth it to get breaks.

Why do you want to like coffee? You can order a mocha anywhere usually, what is the benefit of moving up from that?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

My reasons for wanting to like coffee (in no particular order):

1. Money. If I can learn to love regular coffee, I can get caffeinated beverages that I like just as much for 1/3 of the price.
    2. Socializing. I like the idea of just sitting down for coffee with some friends. That image is nice.
    3. If I'm at work or somewhere, they'll often have free coffee and not free tea. Or, the coffee will be hot and the water for the tea won't be, which is a pain (I don't like watching other people eat/drink when I can't).
    4. When I find music or food that I dislike, my first instinct (for whatever reason) is to get myself to like it. I don't like missing out, and I love enjoying a diverse variety of things. It means that there's a lot more positivity that I can get out of life/food/music/etc.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

15 Things Worth Knowing About Coffee - The Oatmeal

First, some background reading.

If you're at the mocha latte' phase, you might have a while to go until you're ready to get right down to the nitty gritty. I personally don't like them, but you can try Caffe Americano's, which are essentially just really watered down, or you can try regular coffee but have them leave a lot of room for milk, and have them put caramel syrup in it! This is assuming you're sticking with Starbucks.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    My reasons for wanting to like coffee (in no particular order):
    Good reasons. I think you should grab a cup of coffee and load it with cream and sugar. Slowly take less cream and sugar (or sweetener) as you go. No reason to mess around with the goofy mocha stuff.

Also, starbucks plain coffee is pretty nasty and strong. I would have a hard time downing it and I like coffee. Oftentimes stuff at restaurants will be much more enjoyable. Caribou coffee around here has on one of their napkins "we don't go for bitter and burned coffee because it's already taken"

What you eat with coffee makes a difference, too. If you have a dessert along side coffee you will probably enjoy the coffee a lot more.

Doh, reading is fundamental! I thought you said you were AT the cup-of-joe phase. My suggestion from there was: perhaps find which regional coffee blends you like best. Like with wines, there are characteristics. Floral, balanced, bold, spicy.

But since that is of no use to you at this stage, I would say go with Jock's advice.

I suppose the highest level of coffee connoisseur-ism would be drinking kopi luwak.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Just start drinking americanos.

MBTI
    yupp

do what i did start drinking it and be like what what bitches! yeah I drink coffee damn straight, biotch! i actually started drinking it because I kind of liked the taste.be sure to throw up a gang sign so people know you mean business or at least grab your crotch.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Next move to lattes. Get the vanilla ones first.

Then slowly wean to regular coffee-but the mild version at starbucks. I like to go to a local organic market with coffees from all over the world-they really are quite good and can be very different. Start with lots of cream-like 1/3 cream and 2/3 coffee.

Once you get addicted you can move on to the harder stuff-like workplace coffee with fake creamer. Once you can drink the gas station coffee, you have bottomed out.

At some point your standards decline dramatically-you ask questions like "Hmmm, it's 2 am and I have 3 days of work to do by 8 am. I can mix the crumbs from these three empty bags of coffee together and use napkins as coffee filters and get a fix to keep going until morning...."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Get a coffee pot (just a $20 drip Mr. Coffee is fine) and a coffee measure, buy Starbucks coffee, have them grind it for you, and make your own. Drink it with 2 percent canned milk and some sugar. Canned milk gives a very rich taste. Slowly decrease the amount of milk and sugar.