• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Egg Salad Alternatives

O

Oberon

Yesterday I got a craving for egg salad, so last night I had the kids boil up four eggs. I didn't need that much egg salad for the sandwich I would make for today's lunch, but I knew that at least three of my four children would want a bite of my egg salad because they love it so much.

So.

I chopped four hard-boiled eggs, added two squirts of brown mustard and about two tablespoons of regular mayo, added a couple of shakes each of salt and pepper and a small handful of chopped green onion, and stirred the whole batch together.

The result was so good I ate it in the car on the way to work this morning... don't know what I'll do for lunch.

The one thing I didn't like about egg salad is the mayo. It's delicious, but just has too much fat. So what are some alternative ways to make egg salad without regular mayo? I thought maybe a light sour cream and dill might work.

Thoughts?

-da chubby mouse

gromit

likes this
Maybe try something like some plain yogurt or light sour cream?

I have never done this before, but maybe hummus... (?) That might actually be gross, or it could potentially be very good (just not like your standard egg salad). Chop up some scallions in there or something. It might work...

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
i'd whip some hummus up with the eggs. also if you're being calorie conscious, try eggs beaters (egg whites) mixed with hummus. i :heart: hummus. i also don't eat white bread anymore since i discovered sandwich thins.

O

Oberon

gromit, your mention of hummus got me thinking... what if instead of mayo, I just used a little olive oil and maybe a squeeze of lime along with the chopped scallions?

Mmm. Now I'm getting hungry again.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I hate eggs, but I make tuna salad for sandwiches by squeezing lemon juice over the tuna, adding dill, olives, red peppers, salt and pepper... it's awesome :drool:

I don't think lemon juice would work with eggs though :thinking:

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I hate eggs, but I make tuna salad for sandwiches by squeezing lemon juice over the tuna, adding dill, olives, red peppers, salt and pepper... it's awesome :drool:

I don't think lemon juice would work with eggs though :thinking:
whole eggs give me gas so i hate them too, but egg beaters are ok. i put lemon juice on practically everything. in water, in diet coke, on salads, while cooking. i keep a huge bag of lemons in the fridge at all times. but yeah i'm not sure about eggs.

other options.

O

Oberon

My egg salad sandwich bread of choice is wheat toast, or (if I can get it) multi-grain toast. I like the texture.

gromit

likes this
gromit, your mention of hummus got me thinking... what if instead of mayo, I just used a little olive oil and maybe a squeeze of lime along with the chopped scallions?

Mmm. Now I'm getting hungry again.

Yummmmm... this is totally making me want to eat egg salad now. I one time made this amazing curried egg salad with apples, walnuts, scallions... maybe something else.

Is there a droolface smilie?

O

Oberon

Yummmmm... this is totally making me want to eat egg salad now. I one time made this amazing curried egg salad with apples, walnuts, scallions... maybe something else.

Oooh, curry! We have a brand new jar of turmeric at the house too. That plus a little fresh garlic and some cayenne could take egg salad in a whole new direction. I need to go pick up some cardamom pods. :drool:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I made egg salad just now but i used mayo, but i put cayenne, onion flakes, dill relish, garlic salt, dill,paprika, oregeno, black pepper. I didn't have mustard or mustard powder

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My wife and I use Canola Oil mayonaisse.

I can't eat the regular, old school artery clogging mayonaisse anymore.

BLECH!!! :sick:

O

Oberon

For some reason, canola oil and soybean oil disagree with me. I find that they have kind of a fishy taste, which is unpleasant to me. Canola oil will actually mess with my digestion.

Olive oil, now...