• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Plan the best damn camping trip possible.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
I’m going camping with my family for my birthday, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what I can do- how I can prepare- to make it actually enjoyable.

Starting fires, reading books, watching cartoons on the laptop, ghost stories- this is all I can think of.

Can anybody think of things that I can do while camping to liven up my birthday?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
watch the clouds, find out which berries are good and which are poisonous, catch fish with your bare hands, wrestle bears, stomp on ants, build forts, climb trees (and fall out), admire the great beyond (the stars), get a sunburn, make a natural soup, explore, swim in the rivers, not worry about bee stings or leeches, hunt wild game, chit chat with mother nature, bring the rain by doing a rain dance..

but if you're in the woods, watch out for Blair. She calls herself a witch, and she's working on some sort of project. So keep the tents locked at night!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well for me it would be most fun if it was at some cool lake with vines or ropes to swing off of or natural sliding rocks or fun cliffs to jump off of or a river to float down in a tube...or somewhere scenic to go hiking or by the beach...i would need the location to be fun and/or the company to be great...and at night ya gotta have the campfire and cook hotdogs and smores and tell stories and play games of some kind.

where are ya going?

img for fun :)
sliding_rock24_raw.jpg

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
YES. Dis has it right. Hike up a mountain, carry your tent. Camp wild. No laptop. Watch the sunset, and the sun rise.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...don't bring the laptop unless it's just for music or something. it's about having fun outside with your friends/family. :)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
yeah...don't bring the laptop unless it's just for music or something. it's about having fun outside with your friends/family. :)

what about the music that the birds, the running water, the wind, leaves, and wolves make?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what about the music that the birds, the running water, the wind, leaves, and wolves make?

yeah yeah...it's cool, i like it. i am just sayin...i like a lil music :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
reading books, watching cartoons on the laptop
:eek:

Don't do these on a camping trip, that's for sure. Then it'll be just like being at home, but more uncomfortable.

Assuming you're "real camping" and not driving up to a lame camp lot with washrooms and picnic benches and people everywhere...go hiking and explore the area around. Rent a canoe if you're near water (hopefully). But more important is to go with awesome people since it's more about them than anything...card games, drinking, guitars, cooking stuff on fires, etc. I can't say that I'd ever go camping with my family for that reason, lol.

If you're going "lame camp lot" camping, you'll have to be creative. Maybe bring back the laptop there, at least then you won't be bored out of your skull (I hate those places).

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, I'm going with my adult siblings. Do you guys know any sneeky ways of getting them to play a week long "epic RPG adventure" where we have fake sword fights and construct a story about defeating the big bad guy?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Well, I'm going with my adult siblings. Do you guys know any sneeky ways of getting them to play a week long "epic RPG adventure" where we have fake sword fights and construct a story about defeating the big bad guy?

Hire some orcs, and a gandalf.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
I’m not fond of fishing (Never liked the taste of fish, it makes me physically ill) and besides, there are no lakes anywhere near my camp site.

The fort idea is pretty cool, although I’d have to bring my own materials (there’s a strict “no fucking with the trees and landscape” policy that will get me ticketed if I chop up lumber [already fallen trees] or tie weighted ropes to trees or dig holes). I could make a pillow fort or bring cardboard boxes.

I’m definitely going hiking.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hire some orcs, and a gandalf.

I was actually thinking of Legend Of Zelda, but I didn't say it. I'm impressed that you were able to figure out what I was eluding to. How did you know? :huh:
---
So I should collect LoZ[Legend of Zelda] type items (red lantern, shields, swords, masks, hand drawn paper maps, etc.) before my camping trip?

Should there be a prize at the end of each adventure? Should part of the adventure include playing a D&D game that tells the story of what we're doing and why we're about to go out on a quest?

MBTI Type
INTJ
1. For Pete's sake, don't bring a laptop. Or an iPod or anything of the sort.

2. Go hiking at night without a flashlight (carry one, in case you get lost, but don't use it in a non-emergency.) Your eyes will adjust and it's a great way to feel at home in the woods.

3. Use the coals of your campfire to cook. Wrap everything you want (meat, potatoes, veggies, anything) up all together in aluminum foil and bury it in the coals for 20 minutes.

4. Sit or lay down and just watch a small patch of nature for a while. Birds, insects, wind, small animals. It can be fascinating like an aquarium is.

5. If you have dead trees and it's allowed, chop down a few small trees or at least chop your own firewood from fallen trees. It's very cathartic and gives you a nice sense of accomplishment.

6. Definitely tell jokes and stories around the campfire (and toast marshmallows!)

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
1. For Pete's sake, don't bring a laptop. Or an iPod or anything of the sort.
The lap top is to keep my siblings sain. I can go on a camping trip without a computer and enjoy myslef. My sister and my two brothers can't. Within 2 days, they'd take the key's to the car, pack up, leave for town, and spend the entire time in a hotel room.

2. Go hiking at night without a flashlight (carry one, in case you get lost, but don't use it in a non-emergency.) Your eyes will adjust and it's a great way to feel at home in the woods.
Good idea, I hadn't thought of this one. This would probobly play right into the Week-long-Legend-of-Zelda type game I was thinking about doing. I could set up a dimly lit "evil castle" at an empty campsite and lead my siblings all around until we found it.

3. Use the coals of your campfire to cook. Wrap everything you want (meat, potatoes, veggies, anything) up all together in aluminum foil and bury it in the coals for 20 minutes.
Eficenct use of coals. I'm so used to cooking food over those grimy metal racks that I might try the tinfoil idea just for a change of method.

4. Sit or lay down and just watch a small patch of nature for a while. Birds, insects, wind, small animals. It can be fascinating like an aquarium is.
I usually do this, but you're the first to sugest it.

5. If you have dead trees and it's allowed, chop down a few small trees or at least chop your own firewood from fallen trees. It's very cathartic and gives you a nice sense of accomplishment.
There's a strict policy where I'm not alowed to mess with even the trees that have fallen.

6. Definitely tell jokes and stories around the campfire (and toast marshmallows!)
Will do!:D

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay, I'd like to get your opinion/ advice on these:

Buy cheep treasure chests ($5 each) and place them all around the campground. Have clue hunts or scavenger hunts to find them. The chests can be filled with chocolate coins, clues to the next chest, or "key items" that (if this was a video game) would trigger the next story event.

Practice survival skills such as living out a backpack and a tent that I can carry over my shoulder.

Psychoanalyze each other (the "you are walking in a forest" one is popular)

Playing board games like candy land, play question games like "20 questions," make impromptu poetry or songs where the lyrics involve a topic that one of us suggest (example: make up a song about being eaten by a werewolf)

Flashlight tag (they probably won't go for it)

Madlibs (for the car or when we're not up to walking around the mountain)