User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Bring the bare minimum gear. Less is more.

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Practice survival skills such as living out a backpack and a tent that I can carry over my shoulder.

Build a debris shelter or lean-to from down wood and leaves. Try sleeping in it with a tent nearby, since it will almost certainly leak if it rains. Shingled bark from dead trees is the most waterproof method. Wear insect repellent and check yourself for ticks very thoroughly afterwards.

Get a firesteel and practice spark-based firestarting--cotton balls smeared with Vaseline work great, but try natural materials like cattail seed pod innards ("cattail down"). Once you get good at it, try striking hard steel (like the back of a knife) against rocks to produce a spark.

Read up on how to start a bowdrill fire, and practice this. Bring some paracord or a long spare shoelace.

Go on a hike and see if you can navigate using the sun, moon, stars, and other clues in nature to monitor your direction of travel. This should be helpful:

Lost

Finally, search for "Ray Mears" on youtube. He does all of these, but makes it look much easier than it really is.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

strip naked and paint yourself with mud and run through the forest at night pretending to be planning an attack on the campsite... attack your own tent (I've done it, it's surprisingly delightful fun!)

smores

madlibs are always awesome... as is catchphrase

make up more and more elaborate inside jokes while walking... my sis and I drove my parents crazy on many vacations doing that

pretend to be a paparazzi and see who can take the most unflattering pictures of the others when they're not aware (I do that all of the time, it warms the cockles of my heart )

practice howling at the moon... it's really more fun than it sounds
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

How does this sound? I wanted the camping trip to be something like Legend of Zelda.
    ---------
    Using cardboard and [brown, black, white, green, and yellow water color paints], we can paint dungeon walls and drill hinges into them so that the individual walls can be assembled on sight from a compact stack of flat cardboard pieces. We can also create a swinging door by cutting a single arch through one of the walls, and installing more hinges. The dungeon can be a simple square room or several square rooms that form a maze, depending on how much cardboard I feel like painting.

The dungeon can have a treasure chest that is a fold up box painted brown with a custom box lid.

Everyone can have loot bags, and little things can be scattered around the campground. (one dollar bills in Easter eggs, candy, eye patches, chocolate coins, or colored plastic gems that can be exchanged for more impressive gifts [Like a wad of one’s, a box of donuts, a two leader bottle of grape or orange soda,])

I was also having a 'Treasure Chest Cake' with a message in a bottle cut into the bottom. The message can be the first in a line of clues that will lead me throughout a journey through the forest camp ground.

Each new adventure for the day can be set up the night before (or during early dawn) while most people are asleep. Each adventure consists of several events:

1. The “Collect 10 artifacts in 7 minutes” one
    2. The “Beat the game master at a game of his/her own choice” one
    3. The “Clue hunt” one (where the first clue will lead you to the next one, which leads you to the next one, and so on)
    4. The “Kill the dungeon boss” where I buy a piñata and place it at the end of a dungeon, and we can beat open its papier-mâché head to retrieve the prize inside.

The events themselves should be pretty short, less than a half hour per day. This leaves time for people to camp, hike, watch cartoons on their laptops, play D&D, or simply go back to sleep.
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

best and camping are oxymoronic
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Things that made camping enjoyable for me: No electronics. if it plugs in, it can't go. Enjoy the company, enjoy the scenery, and enjoy the activities that bring you back to nature. These are what camping is all about.

If you're one of those that hate camping and are going because the family decided on it then bringing music to listen to will help ease the lack of electronics, and reading a book outside is an excellent way of enjoying the scenery without being bored to pieces and worrying about bugs and heat and humidity.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

omgomgomgomg. I would either go to Finland (King's Hill is a totally awesome place to hike and not too far from Helsinki) or Northern Minnesota/
    Michigan. Really, anywhere with lots of forest. I loves me my forests. Finland is great because since it was sculpted by glaciers, it has huge-ass rocks (called Kallio in finnish) that are just awesome.

I don't want the place to have any tourist center. That ruins the hell out of it. Camping sites that are already set up are fine. King's Hill had a place made out of logs that could hold 5 people laying down easily. It was also raised above the ground a little bit. I just want a semblance of comfort when it's nighttime for camping.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INTJ

So... The Legend of Zelda thing wouldn't work?

And if not, can somebody tell me why or what I can do in place of it?

I'm still planning the camping trip, nothing is set in stone.

MBTI
    IsTP

Buy a hatchet. Practice throwing it, Its fun to throw hatchets at trees.

Is there moving water nearby? Also are you in the western United States? Pan for gold!
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    Buy a hatchet. Practice throwing it, Its fun to throw hatchets at trees.
    I'm going to practice here first, and then I'll go a week without bathing. Once I'm up at the campground, I'll try to find hikers where are taking afternoon or midnight treks up the mountain- and I'll jump out of the bushes like some feral thing wielding hatchets and screaming like a madman (madwoman).

Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    Is there moving water nearby? Also are you in the western United States? Pan for gold!
    Yeah, I'm in California. But there's no gold in these rivers, I'll keep myself busy chasing hikers and brandishing my weapon.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Yeah, I'm in California. But there's no gold in these rivers,
    You'd be suprised, anywhere you see those small sand bars collecting...
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...