User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    what about the music that the birds, the running water, the wind, leaves, and wolves make?
    yeah yeah...it's cool, i like it. i am just sayin...i like a lil music
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    reading books, watching cartoons on the laptop
    :eek:

Don't do these on a camping trip, that's for sure. Then it'll be just like being at home, but more uncomfortable.

Assuming you're "real camping" and not driving up to a lame camp lot with washrooms and picnic benches and people everywhere...go hiking and explore the area around. Rent a canoe if you're near water (hopefully). But more important is to go with awesome people since it's more about them than anything...card games, drinking, guitars, cooking stuff on fires, etc. I can't say that I'd ever go camping with my family for that reason, lol.

If you're going "lame camp lot" camping, you'll have to be creative. Maybe bring back the laptop there, at least then you won't be bored out of your skull (I hate those places).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, I'm going with my adult siblings. Do you guys know any sneeky ways of getting them to play a week long "epic RPG adventure" where we have fake sword fights and construct a story about defeating the big bad guy?
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Well, I'm going with my adult siblings. Do you guys know any sneeky ways of getting them to play a week long "epic RPG adventure" where we have fake sword fights and construct a story about defeating the big bad guy?
    Hire some orcs, and a gandalf.

MBTI
    INTJ

I’m not fond of fishing (Never liked the taste of fish, it makes me physically ill) and besides, there are no lakes anywhere near my camp site.

The fort idea is pretty cool, although I’d have to bring my own materials (there’s a strict “no fucking with the trees and landscape” policy that will get me ticketed if I chop up lumber [already fallen trees] or tie weighted ropes to trees or dig holes). I could make a pillow fort or bring cardboard boxes.

I’m definitely going hiking.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I was actually thinking of Legend Of Zelda, but I didn't say it. I'm impressed that you were able to figure out what I was eluding to. How did you know?
    ---
    So I should collect LoZ[Legend of Zelda] type items (red lantern, shields, swords, masks, hand drawn paper maps, etc.) before my camping trip?

Should there be a prize at the end of each adventure? Should part of the adventure include playing a D&D game that tells the story of what we're doing and why we're about to go out on a quest?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Sorry, I misread that as Ganindorf who was the main villan in Legend of Zelda.

1. For Pete's sake, don't bring a laptop. Or an iPod or anything of the sort.

2. Go hiking at night without a flashlight (carry one, in case you get lost, but don't use it in a non-emergency.) Your eyes will adjust and it's a great way to feel at home in the woods.

3. Use the coals of your campfire to cook. Wrap everything you want (meat, potatoes, veggies, anything) up all together in aluminum foil and bury it in the coals for 20 minutes.

4. Sit or lay down and just watch a small patch of nature for a while. Birds, insects, wind, small animals. It can be fascinating like an aquarium is.

5. If you have dead trees and it's allowed, chop down a few small trees or at least chop your own firewood from fallen trees. It's very cathartic and gives you a nice sense of accomplishment.

6. Definitely tell jokes and stories around the campfire (and toast marshmallows!)
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    1. For Pete's sake, don't bring a laptop. Or an iPod or anything of the sort.
    The lap top is to keep my siblings sain. I can go on a camping trip without a computer and enjoy myslef. My sister and my two brothers can't. Within 2 days, they'd take the key's to the car, pack up, leave for town, and spend the entire time in a hotel room.

2. Go hiking at night without a flashlight (carry one, in case you get lost, but don't use it in a non-emergency.) Your eyes will adjust and it's a great way to feel at home in the woods.
    Good idea, I hadn't thought of this one. This would probobly play right into the Week-long-Legend-of-Zelda type game I was thinking about doing. I could set up a dimly lit "evil castle" at an empty campsite and lead my siblings all around until we found it.

3. Use the coals of your campfire to cook. Wrap everything you want (meat, potatoes, veggies, anything) up all together in aluminum foil and bury it in the coals for 20 minutes.
    Eficenct use of coals. I'm so used to cooking food over those grimy metal racks that I might try the tinfoil idea just for a change of method.

4. Sit or lay down and just watch a small patch of nature for a while. Birds, insects, wind, small animals. It can be fascinating like an aquarium is.
    I usually do this, but you're the first to sugest it.

5. If you have dead trees and it's allowed, chop down a few small trees or at least chop your own firewood from fallen trees. It's very cathartic and gives you a nice sense of accomplishment.
    There's a strict policy where I'm not alowed to mess with even the trees that have fallen.

6. Definitely tell jokes and stories around the campfire (and toast marshmallows!)
    Will do!

MBTI
    INTJ

Okay, I'd like to get your opinion/ advice on these:

Buy cheep treasure chests ($5 each) and place them all around the campground. Have clue hunts or scavenger hunts to find them. The chests can be filled with chocolate coins, clues to the next chest, or "key items" that (if this was a video game) would trigger the next story event.

Practice survival skills such as living out a backpack and a tent that I can carry over my shoulder.

Psychoanalyze each other (the "you are walking in a forest" one is popular)

Playing board games like candy land, play question games like "20 questions," make impromptu poetry or songs where the lyrics involve a topic that one of us suggest (example: make up a song about being eaten by a werewolf)

Flashlight tag (they probably won't go for it)

Madlibs (for the car or when we're not up to walking around the mountain)