• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lacto-Fermentation: Good for the gut, good for the butt

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
The use of lactic acid fermentation in food is an ancient preservation technique that is said to enhance the benefits of vitamins and enzymes in the food, replenish beneficial flora in the intestines that help digestion and absorption of nutrients, and inhibit the growth of putrefying or malignant bacteria. The most famous fermented food is probably sauerkraut, but there are many others such as yogurt, kvass, kimchi, kefir etc. Since reading about this awhile back I decided to experiment a little bit and have so far tried three variations:

The first attempt was just standard sauerkraut from green cabbage. I let it ferment for 30 days, but ended up putting in too much salt.

For the second try, I decided to use red cabbage, carrots and radishes (grated) for just a few days after I caught this video. The salt was in check this time but I don't like the carrot taste.

Tomorrow, or some time this week, I'll be tasting my latest batch, which is chopped cucumbers, carrots, onions and green peppers that I saw on this video.

Has anyone else tried fermented foods?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's mighty nasty... But that's just my opinion. At least the vegetables.
Gotta like yoghurt.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:sick: ugh... I hate yogurt!

I do like Kimchi though! :cheese:

very similar to malolactic fermentation which gives chardonnay it's distinctive buttery taste... I hate chardonnay as well :sick: (ok... I'll admit... I don't tend to linger in the dairy aisle!)

O

Oberon

Most people don't realize that pickles in the western tradition were not primary pickled in vinegar, but with lactic acid through fermentation. It gives a softer, less sharp acidity than vinegar.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I grew up with pickles made with vinegar... they warm the cockles of my heart :wubbie:

O

Oberon

I grew up with pickles made with vinegar... they warm the cockles of my heart :wubbie:

I like vinegar pickles too. In fact, they're the vast majority of pickles I've eaten, and I LOVE pickles. Gimme a jar of Clausen refrigerator dills, and I'm in seventh heaven.

Of course my breath smells like a Neapolitan garbage dump afterward, but it's worth it. I'm willing to suffer for my pickles.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I pickled some red, yellow and green bell peppers in a vinegar brine with crushed red pepper flakes this past fall... they were marvelous :wubbie:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
That article was insanely stupid.

Yeah really. If it was true, I'd be dead already, as my diet is 60% coffee and spicy foods.

This will probably get my german heritage card revoked, but I don't really like saurkraut. Or pickles, and such things.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That article was insanely stupid.
I thought so too! I mean there was a small element of truth (i.e., mercury is bad...shocker, I know) but then they say fish is bad for you because it goes bad quickly??

Then I scrolled to the bottom and saw it was written by a "young entrepreneur" (uh oh) whose entrepreneurism takes the form of writing e-books (not even real books!) promoting raw foodism. Not exactly the most credible source for such...surprising conclusions, regardless of what you think of the "raw food" trend.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oh my... I read the article and concluded that the writer knows absolutley nothing about biology OR nutrition! :doh:

it's like my sister's ex roommate who claimed that food "sticks to the digestive tract" and can cause us to die :shock:

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I enjoyed this book called Wild Fermentation which gives other receips. However I haven't found the time to try any of it.

The first video I linked is the author of Wild Fermentation showing how to make stuff with cabbage and carrots. Read the hilarious Amazon customer reviews of his book, apparently he talks about his lifestyle at some gay commune or something and it makes people angry. I haven't read it yet though.

I opened up the last batch a few minutes ago with the peppers, onions, carrots and cucumbers. It's pretty good, there was a little slime at the top, though it may be from the cucumbers and not mold. I think next time just a few slices of pepper would be enough.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The first video I linked is the author of Wild Fermentation showing how to make stuff with cabbage and carrots. Read the hilarious Amazon customer reviews of his book, apparently he talks about his lifestyle at some gay commune or something and it makes people angry. I haven't read it yet though.

I opened up the last batch a few minutes ago with the peppers, onions, carrots and cucumbers. It's pretty good, there was a little slime at the top, though it may be from the cucumbers and not mold. I think next time just a few slices of pepper would be enough.

I see. I have dail up so I don't click on videos or you tube. :( He does mention that he has AIDS and he credits lato-fermation for his healthy gut dispite all the medication he is on. I would recommend the book as a resource since there are references to further reading if a subject interest you.

People are angry about his gay lifestyle? :huh: *shrugs shoulders* I suppose if you don't like gay people....

You may also like this book Nourishing Traditions~The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats by Sallon Fallon.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, the reviewers of his book whine about him being gay. I don't care though. It's on my to read list.

I do have Sally Fallon's book!