User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Exclamation Lacto-Fermentation: Good for the gut, good for the butt

The use of lactic acid fermentation in food is an ancient preservation technique that is said to enhance the benefits of vitamins and enzymes in the food, replenish beneficial flora in the intestines that help digestion and absorption of nutrients, and inhibit the growth of putrefying or malignant bacteria. The most famous fermented food is probably sauerkraut, but there are many others such as yogurt, kvass, kimchi, kefir etc. Since reading about this awhile back I decided to experiment a little bit and have so far tried three variations:

The first attempt was just standard sauerkraut from green cabbage. I let it ferment for 30 days, but ended up putting in too much salt.

For the second try, I decided to use red cabbage, carrots and radishes (grated) for just a few days after I caught this video. The salt was in check this time but I don't like the carrot taste.

Tomorrow, or some time this week, I'll be tasting my latest batch, which is chopped cucumbers, carrots, onions and green peppers that I saw on this video.

Has anyone else tried fermented foods?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

My family is big on this.

I've fermented garlic (best!), my own pickles, radish, shredded watermelon shell and cheese. Although I'm being told here Top 5 Worst Foods You Can Eat That People Think Are Healthy, it's bad for ya.

But I love fermented food. Love making and eating my own food in general. Tastes better!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

vomit
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    vomit
    don't get it on my shoes!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

It's mighty nasty... But that's just my opinion. At least the vegetables.
    Gotta like yoghurt.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ugh... I hate yogurt!

I do like Kimchi though!

very similar to malolactic fermentation which gives chardonnay it's distinctive buttery taste... I hate chardonnay as well (ok... I'll admit... I don't tend to linger in the dairy aisle!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Oberon

Most people don't realize that pickles in the western tradition were not primary pickled in vinegar, but with lactic acid through fermentation. It gives a softer, less sharp acidity than vinegar.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I grew up with pickles made with vinegar... they warm the cockles of my heart
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I grew up with pickles made with vinegar... they warm the cockles of my heart
    I like vinegar pickles too. In fact, they're the vast majority of pickles I've eaten, and I LOVE pickles. Gimme a jar of Clausen refrigerator dills, and I'm in seventh heaven.

Of course my breath smells like a Neapolitan garbage dump afterward, but it's worth it. I'm willing to suffer for my pickles.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I pickled some red, yellow and green bell peppers in a vinegar brine with crushed red pepper flakes this past fall... they were marvelous