• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lacto-Fermentation: Good for the gut, good for the butt

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm picky about sauerkraut. Can never find one as good as my late Grandpa's. It was not totally "sour".

I notice when it's bad, it's really bad :sick:

What is the flavor of other fermented fruits & veggies (besides cabbage)?

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yes, the reviewers of his book whine about him being gay. I don't care though. It's on my to read list.

I do have Sally Fallon's book!

:nice:

Fermented foods is an acquired taste if you have not been raised with it. It took awhile for me to enjoy Kefir (blended with fruit usually mango) and my husband will not go near anything that is soured milk (except bland cheddar cheese).

I'm interested in how your experiments go, especially when you eat it. :cheese:

This links to United Nations article about preserving local fermented foods before they become extint by commericalization.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't care for sauerkraut either, but I like kimchi.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
For the longest time I hated pickles, and at the deli the pickles always came with sauerkraut, so I avoided the kraut too. But then somehow I tried the kraut about a year ago and now I'm addicted.

To hell with being raised on it. I was raised on shit and I don't eat that anymore.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm picky about sauerkraut. Can never find one as good as my late Grandpa's. It was not totally "sour".

I notice when it's bad, it's really bad :sick:

What is the flavor of other fermented fruits & veggies (besides cabbage)?

So far other than cabbage I've tried peppers, cucumbers, onions and carrots (in the same jar) and they taste exactly how I imagined they would with cabbage as a reference. Check out the second video I posted, it's very easy to experiment with and only takes four days or longer if you prefer.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Your title is killing me! :D

I've done kombucha tea, kefir, fermented grains, and one very failed attempt at sauerkraut. I need a new kefir grain and kombucha scoby, as ours went south after my daughter was born last year, and I never replaced them. I've got 3 heads of cabbage in my fridge now, waiting for another go, actually (last time, I didn't add any water, and despite claims that it doesn't need it, I think it's the best idea). I love kimchi, too!

I'm actually in the middle of reading Wild Fermentation. A good read! :yes: Ridiculous that people would disregard such good info because of his sexual orientation. :doh:

O

Oberon

My paternal grandfather was born in south-central Pennsylvania of straight-up Pennsylvania German stock, and from him I inherited both my surname and my native cuisine. As a teen I helped him and my father make sauerkraut, which was made according to the following method:

You will need:

1. Fresh heads of cabbage.
2. Several pounds of salt.
3. A five-gallon earthenware crock.
4. A kraut stomper.
5. A good-sized (say, grapefruit-sized) rock.
6. A dinner plate.
7. A cotton cloth big enough to cover the top of the crock.
8. A cabbage slicer (alternately, a large knife and cutting board).

A kraut stomper is the long wooden implement on the left. The cabbage slicer is the rectangular doodad on the right:

18.jpg

The sauerkraut is prepared as follows:

Shred the cabbage by slicing the heads into slices 1/8th of an inch (3mm) wide, more or less. The slices will fall apart by themselves into piles of shredded cabbage. Layer the shredded cabbage in the crock. When it's about an inch deep, shake a goodly amount (two handfuls) of salt over the cabbage, and start crushing the cabbage with the stomper. You want to use enough force to bruise the shreds and bring out the juice. When you start to see froth forming as you work, you know you are doing it right.

Continue adding layers of cabbage and salt, stomping as you go. You will know that the amount of salt is right if you taste it and the salinity reminds you of seawater... it should be that salty. The stomping process will mix the cabbage; this is fine, it's part of the process.

When the crock is full or you've run out of cabbage (whichever comes first), move the crock to a cool, dark location. Lay the dinner plate on top of the cabbage (yes, right in the juice) and put the rock on the plate. Drape the cloth over the whole affair and leave it alone for six weeks to two months.

After the fermentation is complete, remove the cloth cover, the plate, and the rock. The top layer of sauerkraut may be discolored due to any number of reasons, usually due to drying. Sometimes mold may form on the top of the kraut. Do not be concerned about this, but simply skim the top layer away with a large spoon and discard it. It's of no more import than mold on the rind of a cheese.

The remainder is genuine home-made sauerkraut, suitable for serving with roast pork and mashed potatoes, or topping a bratwurst in a bun. It may be home-canned or frozen, and keeps very well either way... or you can just store it in the crock there in the basement, where the natural lactic acid will continue to act as a preservative. We preferred to freeze ours.

-der maus

O

Oberon

Where can you buy a kraut stomper?

I don't know, but you can make a reasonable substitute by sawing about a half-inch off the big end of a clean wooden baseball bat... just enough to square off the end. The business end is a little small, but it will work.

EDIT: Or you can hit Lehman's website and buy one there!

Home Goods

P

Phantonym

Excellent thread title, Alwar! :laugh: Fermented foods have always been a part of my family's diet. We've never used vinegar for cucumbers.

Concerning making sauerkraut, my family has always added cumins during the process.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I looooove lacto-fermented cucumbers

3395_salzgurken_1.jpg

I have also made them myself and experimented with fermenting carrots and garlic. I didn't find a reliable method to keep them from going bad though, especially as I cannot regulate the temperature in my apartment during summer, so it was sometimes too hot.

I also found that it's normal to find yeasts or mold floating at the top after the fermentation process, but if you remove those the stuff below is still edible. And if you then boil the liquid, let the liquid cool and then put the fermented veggies back into it the stuff will keep for some time too (though it needs to refrigerated).

It was very rewarding when it turned out right, but I often had batches go bad and it was kind of too much effort for the rate of success. I'd probably need to buy some better equipment before I try again.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
To prevent mold and spoiled batches, there are fermenting crock pots that have a lip surrounding the top where you can airlock it with water. These are pretty expensive so if you want to experiment you can buy Perfect Pickler airlocks that fit on standard mason jars. I plan to buy a large crock pot after I find good recipes that I'll eat on a regular basis, then make them in huge quantities. Thus far I haven't had any bad batches and they seem rare from what I've read, so I just use mason jars with a paper towel or cheese cloth & rubberband.

I am of Pennsylvania German stock

Me too, unfortunately my Grandfather didn't like sauerkraut for some reason and broke the tradition. :(

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
To prevent mold and spoiled batches, there are fermenting crock pots that have a lip surrounding the top where you can airlock it with water. These are pretty expensive so if you want to experiment you can buy Perfect Pickler airlocks that fit on standard mason jars. I plan to buy a large crock pot after I find good recipes that I'll eat on a regular basis, then make them in huge quantities. Thus far I haven't had any bad batches and they seem rare from what I've read, so I just use mason jars with a paper towel or cheese cloth & rubberband.

Me too, unfortunately my Grandfather didn't like sauerkraut for some reason and broke the tradition. :(

Thx for the info, I might buy one of those, but man ... 200 Bux!

Sauerkraut by itself I find a bit too acidic, but together with mashed potatoes it's great!

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram

Sauerkraut by itself I find a bit too acidic, but together with mashed potatoes it's great!

I'm seeing them used on eBay for as little as $114. :D Not that that's cheap, but -$100 is always a good thing.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP

You're welcome, how long do you keep cucumbers in for like in that picture? I might give that a go next.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
You're welcome, how long do you keep cucumbers in for like in that picture? I might give that a go next.

Depends a bit on the temperature, generelly about 6-10 days. Ideal temperature AFAIK is around 25-30 degrees Celsius. Some people punch holes into them first with a tooth pick or somesuch so the brine can penetrate them better. The cucumbers should still be fairly firm after fermentation. If they are too soft or slimy something has gone wrong. It's normal that the brine turns milky.

These types of fermented cucumbers are common in Russia, Eastern Europe and Germany. You can also use cut-up larger cucumbers instead.

As spices you can (for example) put in wine leafes, dill, black pepper and juniper berries.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Depends a bit on the temperature, generelly about 6-10 days. Ideal temperature AFAIK is around 25-30 degrees Celsius. Some people punch holes into them first with a tooth pick or somesuch so the brine can penetrate them better. The cucumbers should still be fairly firm after fermentation. If they are too soft or slimy something has gone wrong. It's normal that the brine turns milky.

These types of fermented cucumbers are common in Russia, Eastern Europe and Germany. You can also use cut-up larger cucumbers instead.

As spices you can (for example) put in wine leafes, dill, black pepper and juniper berries.

Nice, I'm going to try this next.

good for the butt?

Fermented foods replenish beneficial digestive flora that results in a positive pooping experience.